I would just like to preface that this posting was very hard to publish. But for this week's Take it and Run Thursday (http://blog.runnerslounge.com/2008/10/take-it-and-run.html), here's what I've learned through running.
Being consumed with my weight for as long as I can remember, I've learned is that it's not the number on the scale that should matter…it's what I'm accomplishing each day that's important. My weight does not define me. There is so much more to me and I'm missing out on too much by allowing this to consume my life. While it was difficult to write that, it's even more of a struggle each day to believe it. But as I was running through New Hampshire a few weeks ago for Reach the Beach, I actually said to myself, "Look what you are doing! Look what you're capable of! Stop beating yourself up over your weight and letting that define who are. For once, be proud of yourself and what you've accomplished." While I'm not all the way there, I'm happy to say that I'm making progress. Even if they are just baby steps.
(And for my sister, who is a loyal reader of my blog…No, I do not want a cupcake. But thanks for offering).
6 comments:
I feel you on the weight thing. I've struggled with being slightly overweight all my life. It's been a struggle to say the least. But I'm with you. We're both doing something... at least the running keeps our minds off the weight issue. Right? :-)
Thanks for the courageous post. I hope you will find believing this becomes less of a struggle as you continue your running-- I sure have.
I'm glad I found your blog through Runners Lounge, and have to admit I'm at the point where I will accept any cupcakes your sister wants to send my way. :)
Hi! I understand that feeling that you expressed, "it's even more of a struggle each day to believe it."
Sometimes it really IS hard to believe what we know we should believe. But, keep on going! Keep on running!
Great blog. I am running the Philadelphia marathon as well! Good luck with your training!
I wasn't going to offer you a cupcake...I did make brownies this morning for the block party, though. We are very proud of all your hard work and jealous of your body!!! Well, Brad isn't, but I am.
Way to go on your progress ! It is so hard to overcome that scale. Keep at it. :)
Post a Comment