Monday, November 24, 2008

KICKED ASPHALT!!

Well, it's over!! I ran my first marathon! First and foremost, my stats:

Chip Time - 3:51:31
Overall place - 2506 / 7231
Overall women - 635 / 2986
Age group - 117 / 486

Now for the details...I woke up at 2:45am excited. To my surprise, I didn't feel nervous at all. I was very calm. Because it was only 20 degrees out when we left, I bundled up and we hit the road. Oh, and right before we walked out the door, I took an Imodium because I didn't want a repeat performance of my worse run ever. I'm SO glad I did and think that will be a common practice for the long runs from here on out.

Anyway, yadda, yadda...we arrived to our corral with our pace group leader, Dan. Running with the pace group was the BEST decision I could have made. I highly recommend it. Dan kept us right on track, we didn't start out too fast, we took the hills slow and made up time on the down slopes and flat portions. Course was good, and the first 8 miles went so fast! I was feeling good and the feeling that I had lost in my feet due to the cold came back, thank goodness. It was nice wrapping back around the art museum where the half marathon finished and seeing all the spectators. Provided a little push to keep going. We did have some hills along the course but I can honestly say, they were not difficult. Reach the Beach in New Hampshire and running Shawmont Hill make most hills easy at this point. The out to Manayunk was a little long, not many people along the course and we were running into the wind. This is where my hands really went to sh*t. Although I was wearing gloves, I couldn't feel them at all and I needed to ask people to help me open my gels. My hands always make the runs during the cold months miserable. The water stations were icy because it was so cold out and because of this, I lost my pace group around mile 17. I slowed down so I wouldn't slip and when I looked up, the balloons were way ahead of me. Running through Manayunk was nice because it was filled with a lot of people, music, etc. I needed this at this point as I was by myself and getting a little tired. We turned around at mile 19-20 and headed back the way we came...except this time it was slightly down hill!! Now everyone says the marathon starts at mile 20 and the last 6 miles are where the race begins. I was prepared for this mentally but have to say, when we turned around and I only had 6 miles left, I thought to myself, "what the heck, 6 miles is nothing at this point. I just ran 20!" So I counted down and headed to the finish. I did hit a bad patch around mile 22-23 where I just didn't want to run anymore. Thankfully I saw a friend along the way who was spectating and he hopped in and ran with me for a mile or so. This was a big help. Then I saw my aunts and cousins around mile 24 and that really gave me my final push I needed. Heading to the finish line that last mile was the best feeling ever!! The crowd was literally touching you and it was packed!! I saw Andy, my sister Michelle, and Lisa as I was rounding the corner to the finish line and seeing them started the tears! I crossed the finish line strong, and hopefully smiling, and then I started bawling. I couldn't believe I did it. Everything at that second hurt. My back was spasming so bad and my legs were shaking uncontrollably. Oh, and I was numb.
So, I did it!! Last night I wasn't sure I'd run another one. Today, I'm feeling a little different. I think, actually know, I will. BUT, I don't think I'll ever put the pressure on myself to qualify for Boston. I ran my first marathon in under 4 hours. I know that is an incredible achievement. I want to make sure I always enjoy this and have fun, I don't want the added pressure of qualifying. And as long as I'm in this age group, I don't think I'll get the 3:40 for Boston anyway! At least I know I'm in good shape to qualify when I hit 40! Ok, I know I need to stop rambling...here are some pictures. I *LOVE* the ones of Andy hugging me. I was crying so hard and he just kept telling me how proud he was of me.

Here I am around mile 21.


Here's Michelle and Lisa babying me!!



And here is the poster my sister Jeanette and my nephews made for me...too funny!

And one last thing...I'm happy to report I had zero chaffing, blistering, etc. I am really sore and my toenails are killing, but other than that...I feel great!! Having spectators along the course was such a help. Knowing I had them to look forward to really kept me going. Can't wait to read about how everyone else did yesterday!

23 comments:

joyRuN said...

Were you in the same pace group as Flyers26??

Awesome awesome job, girl! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

ROFLMAO on that sign your sis & nephews made!!

Dan Seifring aka "OBRATS" said...

Congratulations on your sub 4 hour. And on your first attempt no less. I was out cheering all the runners at about mile 25.5.

raulgonemobile said...

Congrats on completing your first marathon. Wonderful time for your first time, too!

Marlene said...

CONGRATULATIONS! Under 4 hours? For your FIRST? You are my hero. Sounds like you ran a strong race. Love the pics too!

And that SIGN! LMAO!

(I always take Imodium before a race.)

FLYERS26 said...

I bet we were together, and didn't even know it!
I stayed to the far right of Pacer Dan. I was with the group from Delaware Ave, until about mile 22.
Those last 2 miles where brutal!
And the icey aid stations made things interesting, that's for sure!
Awesome job, and congrats on your time!

FLYERS26 said...

Oh, it's the 3:50 pace group I was with.

ShoreTurtle said...

Congratulations!

I love the Philly marathon. I ran it in 2006 for my first marathon. It is a great event.

SuperDave said...

How incredible! I amazed that you ran a sub 4 on your first marathon! Inspiring to say the least! It's funny that you and Bill ran in the same pace group and didn't know it..
You now deserve a long rest. Bravo!!

Run Mommy said...

That is fantastic! I am training for my first marathon right now and I must admit that your post had me sort of teary. I am really impressed with your time! Way to go, you should be VERY proud of yourself.

Laurel said...

YAY Denise!!! You did awesome! I can totally relate to the cold hands. That's the worst. My toes were numb the first 5 miles as well.

You're time is amazing! I don't want to put any pressure on you but I think you could totally qualify for Boston. I just took 17 minutes off my first marathon time (although I was running a bit slower than you, haha).

Congratulations!!! Great report!

Chic Runner said...

WOW! Congrats, you seriously kicked butt out there! you're time is AMAZING And your first marathon, girl you are QUICK! :) That sign is too funny, and those pictures are priceless. Glad you had fun.

FLYERS26 said...

I was running alone, on the far right of Dan.
There was a girl runner, who kept weaving in and out, and blowing snot rockets. She had a black jacket, and ran with an Ipod.

Unknown said...

under 4 hours for your first marathon is impressive. Congrats. Sounds like you had a lot of emotion tied to the event.

Julianne said...

O-M-G Denise!!!! Congrats on your FANTASTIC first marathon time finish!! Omg, sub-4 finish on your first marathon!?!? Wow, you did really really great. You should be totally proud of yourself!!! I love that sign that your nephews are holding! That is SO funny!!!

Stacey said...

Congratulations! You did awesome!
I cry after I cross the finish line EVERY time! I loved the sign. Support along the course is always great, it gives you something to look forward to when it get hard. Well done, you are a rock star, under 4 hours!! (:

N.D. said...

You did AWESOME!!! What an amazing time for #1!! I love the sign! And the huggie pictures. I think my fav is the one with you with the blanket all around you. GREAT JOB! you should be so proud!

Nikemom said...

Congrats on your pace becoming a marathoner! WOOT! WOOT! to you lady!

Have a great Thanksgiving.

Brooke said...

Awesome job!! That will be my inspiration...

Aron said...

CONGRATS!!! you did AMAZING - WOW such an awesome first marathon!!!

X-Country2 said...

What a great time! CONGRATS!!

Progman2000 said...

Wow, way to bang out the sub-4 in your first marathon - excellent race report.

Caroline Novak said...

Will come outta lurkdom to say that is such a Terrific first marathon finish!!!!

Also, love the tat!

Aron said...

omgosh i love that whole last paragraph :) hahaha oh the things we say <3