I think the power gels are messing up my stomach. Well, at least the double latte 2x caffeine ones are. I was wondering if this was the cause of my worst run ever so I've been paying closer attention since then. Last week on my 14 mile run, I ate one. And while my stomach was ok, I not only felt but I heard all this liquid sloshing around. So yesterday, before my 8 mile run, I ate one. Ugh. I felt like I had just drank a gallon of liquid. It was SO loud in my stomach. Had that been a longer run, I am pretty sure there would have been problems. With the marathon a week away, I'm so worried about changing it up this late in the game. I have used the beans and blocks before, but not during any of my long training runs. This week, even though I'm not running much, I'm going to eat some beans before my runs and see how I feel. I guess it's better to switch it up and take a chance rather than stick with something that I'm pretty sure is making me sick.
Anyone else have this problem with gels? Could it be flavor specific? And why right now...one week before race day?? I have enough anxiety as it is...and to top it off, of course the temperatures are dropping this week! Go figure.
9 comments:
My thought is, if you haven't used them before don't use them now. Do you really need them? I know at some point your body does need some energy and everybody's point is different. When I hit about miles 10-12 on a run, that's when I fuel (other than water), but I use gatorade. I haven't had much luck with the energy gel/beans other than on century rides. Good luck!
I'm all over the Power Gels. I stick with 1x caffeine ones - they seem to work for me. I've had Vanilla & Strawberry Banana - no probs. So that's what I'll be bringing with.
Good luck experimenting.
I think it can be flavor specific. I had trouble with a different flavors of the GU gels. And now I'm set on one that does not both me at all! I hope you get it worked out.
I think they can be flavor AND brand specific....I use carbooms instead of Gu's but recently have gotten hooked on shot bloks. But you certainly dont want to change it up right before your marathon. I think those fuel sources do weird things to your stomach anyway after a few hours of running. I always get air bubbles in my stomach:->
Good luck and best wishes from the East Coast!!
For me its not flavour, but its brand specific. The Gu gels work best for me. Other brands seem to give me cramps and make me feel sick. Also I drink only Gatorade it seems to keep me from getting a sore tummy from only gels.
I think a lot of people have problems with gels. I have tried many kinds, including the coffee ones and I only stick with chocolate. It's the only one that doesn't bother me.
Maybe try a different kind on a shorter run this week, just to see how your stomach feels? But yeah, it is kind of late in the game to change. Hmm, that's a tough one.
Thanks so much for all the comments...but I think I'm more confused than anything now. I think I'll try the blocks tomorrow before my run and then the beans one day, too. This really sucks!
I wonder if it could be the caffeine?
I hope you find something to work for your big race. I know the stomach feeling you're talking about and it is NOT fun.
How funny you should post this now...I've started having the same issues. I think truly it's partly just the distance and may happen anyway. Have you tried any long runs with nothing? When I only have water I don't have problems. I'm still figuring out how/when to take gels...I would be careful trying new things though! I like the Power Gels but the Gu Roctane is good too.
Post a Comment