Thursday, November 20, 2008

TIaRT - Thank Goodness for Running

This weeks TIaRT theme is Thank Goodness for Running. I'm thankful for running because it gives me time to take a break from all the craziness in life and everything going on. I can clear my head and realize what/who is important in life and what really matters. To show my gratitude I decided, "what better way to pass the 26.2 miles than run each mile for someone in particular." I'll preface by saying that while some things listed aren't people, they still serve a very important purpose and I'm saving the last mile for someone special...so last, but definitely not least.

1 - Me. Ok, not trying to be selfish here, but come on! I was the one who went through all this training!! I think I deserve at least a mile!

2 - Andy. Not only was this a huge commitment and sacrifice for me, but it was for him, too. And if it wasn't for him, I'm not sure I'd even be at this point with running. He's always right there to tell me that I can do it.

3 - Mom. Although she thinks this running isn't good or healthy, if it wasn't for her I would not have this stubborn Polish side to me that never lets me quit. And as much as she doesn't get the running, she was the first one I called after my worst run ever . There's nothing like a mothers sympathy...especially after you poop yourself!

4 - Dad. The hardest working person I know. So anything I can do to make him proud, I will. Having him ask every time I call, "did you run today?" shows that he's not only interested, but proud.

5 - Mich. Has always been my biggest fan, coming out to cheer me on. Whether I made her do it or not, she organized spectators along the course for marathon day. She has NO idea how important that will be to me getting through this. I can only hope that I've provided the same level of love and support to Mich that she has given to me over the years.

6 - Jeanette. Has been there for me through so much over the years. When my life was at it's lowest point, she took care of me and I'll be forever grateful. We've come a long way, and I think she's deserving of some free personal training sessions. Don't worry, Mich, you'll get some, too.

7 - AARC. Best running club around. I'm so thankful for having this great group of people to run with every week.

8 - Newman. Did you really think I'd leave him out? It was hard to wait this long to list him! And you can probably guess who's next...

9 - Lainey. The best two kitties anyone could have. They keep me nice and warm after each long run when I lay down to take my well earned nap!

10 - Pumpkin. One of the few people who truly gets me. Actually, might be the ONLY person who does. Soul mates.

11 - Beans. No matter how busy she is, and the important things she has going on in her life, she always finds time to ask how I'm doing. And even though she doesn't comment, I know she's reading my blog!!

12 - The Woods. Early bird dinners!! I love that we're getting "old" together and a night consisting of an early dinner and cards have come to be some of my favorite nights! "Pick it up Daner."

13 - KT. My partner in crime. We've had some great times and I have memories that will last a lifetime! And if it wasn't for her convincing me to run the Vegas half marathon, none of this would even be going on. Hmm...so we have KT to blame...or thank!

14 - My Followers. The people who regularly follow my blog. It's so nice to connect with people who share the same passion for running that I do. I've enjoyed getting to know each of you and thank you for your comments and support.

15 - Aunt Eileen, Aunt Jean, Aunt Joan. My aunts have always taken such an interest in all of their nieces/nephews lives. I am so lucky to have such a close knit family (all 100 of us!) and could not be happier to be back in PA with everyone.

16 - God. I am truly thankful and grateful for every single thing and person I have in my life. While I've worked hard to get where I am, I know the big guy has been looking out for me.

17 - Nate and Aidan. Giving me something to strive for...to be the best Aunt ever. I have some steep competition, but if all else fails, I'll bribe them with McDonalds and Legos.

18 - Cottonelle. Enough said.

19 - Erica. More than just a running buddy. Who would have thought a long run at Militia Hill could create a new friendship.

20 - Arch Nemesis. For the people out there that without knowing it make me run harder and longer...a little friendly competition never hurt anyone.

21 - Treadmill. My treadmill at Golds Gym. The second one in from the end. We have created quite a bond over the last year and I've put in countless miles on that thing!

22 - Lisa B. More than just another member of the running club, she's been too good to me in preparing for the marathon. I admire her strong will and running, and could not be happier to have her by my side during marathon day.

23 - Lakshmi. I'm not sure I'd have any confidence for race day if it wasn't for Lakshmi's kind words. Another great runner who made getting through the training possible.

24- Dave. Amazing runner and in a way, a coach (whether he knows it or not). Being able to run with him on my last few long runs made me feel like I was capable of so much.

25 - Nanny. The center of our family, my 92 year old Grandmother. Nanny is the most accepting, loving Grandmother anyone could ever have and there's a reason I saved her for last. We are forever telling Nanny to sit down and take it easy, to which she never listens. So on my last 1.2 miles of the race, when everything in my body is telling me to stop and everything hurts, I'm going to think of Nanny and push through. Like she once told me, "when you stop, that's when you don't get back up."

One more thing (I know, I never shut up)...I wrote this post last week after my run and have been waiting to post it. I wanted to add a special thanks to Lisa, Christine and Jennifer who I found out will also be on the course cheering me on Sunday. I feel like a celebrity!

Weather Update
Saturday Night: Low: 23 °F RealFeel®: 15 °F
Sunday:High: 44 °F RealFeel®: 39 °F, Clouds limiting sunshine

12 comments:

Jeanette said...

Very nice! But why is Michelle ahead of me??? :)

joyRuN said...

Excellent post, girl!

I've been so busy following the weather through your blog, I was SHOCKED to see snow flurries out my window this morning.

Brooke said...

What a great list! Best of luck in your race, and my main hope for you is that your dedication to Cottonelle at mile 18 remains figurative, rather than literal!

Marlene said...

What a great idea!

Unknown said...

What a list! Are you taking this list with you to the race?

Anonymous said...

Get over yourself Jeanette. You know I'm better than you!!

Stacey said...

Great post! Having a list like that will definitly help get you through your race! (and having all the cheerleaders) Sounds like you have a great support system. Best of luck to you!

FLYERS26 said...

Great list!
With support like that, you'll def kick some asphalt on Sunday!

Laurel said...

I agree with Blyfinn, you should print it out and run with it. Even if you don't read it, knowing it's there would be kind of cool.

Great post.

X-Country2 said...

The part about your mom made me laugh out loud. Only a mother! :o)

Julianne said...

What a great list!! So sweet of you to recognize so many people Denise!! Oh and GOOD LUCK THIS WEEKEND!!! Can't wait for the race report!

Anonymous said...

Nice post. Way to spread the gratitude around! Since you were one of the last 5 people to comment on my blog, I'm giving you an award :)
See my blog foor details.