Sunday, November 16, 2008

I Can't Belive It

This time next Sunday the gun will be going off!! I'm actually nervous/anxious while I'm writing this. I typically don't get nervous before races, but I have a feeling next weekend will be a whole different story.

I went to REI last night to figure out what I can do about the food issue and I talked to a very helpful sales associate. He has run 14 marathons and had a lot of advice. I had originally switched to the Power Bar gels because they have the most salt in them, and I'm a heavy salt sweater. But it turns out Cliff makes the blocks in a margarita flavor with added sodium. Yum! I can start celebrating during the race! Anyway, I decided to try the cliff shots in vanilla, no caffeine (Lots of people think that might be what was bothering me. And it makes sense, coffee goes right through me, too. Sorry if that was too much information, but you've all read much worse about me). I'm going to eat one on an empty stomach this morning before I go for my run. While it's just an easy 5 today, at least I'll be able to assess the sloshing issue. Ugh. I will also plan on eating the blocks on and off throughout the race, since I'm not planning on drinking Gatorade. So complicated!!!

Weather for the Big Day:
(Saturday night: Low: 31 °F RealFeel®: 28 °F)
Sunday: High: 49 °F RealFeel®: 45 °F
Cloudy with a passing shower in the afternoon

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Hope you find something that works. He weather looks like it could be almost perfect for a marathon race.

Nikemom said...

Good luck with your race!

joyRuN said...

Good luck with the experimentation. Better now than IN SIX DAYS!! Yikes.

Marci said...

Yes one week to go! You will rock the race. It was about that temperature last year, and perfect. Looking to arrange a quick blogger meetup. I am staying at the Mariott downtown Philly, arriving Friday morning.

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Hey, sister. Got here via link-love from joyRuN. Just wanted to wish you luck in Philadelphia. If you see joyRuN there, please verify that her man-thighs are not the result of illegal juicing, if you get the chance.

Thanks!

Best of luck to you!

joyRuN said...

I don't know about after the race - I might be getting scraped up off the pavement!

joyrun609 at gmail dot com

Laurel said...

The weather is looking good so far. I think as long as we stay dry, we will be good.

I think the caffeine could be an issue. It affect people different ways. I can drink coffee before a run, but when I took an expresso Gu it made me sick.

It's almost here!

SuperDave said...

Good luck on your big race Saturday! Looks like all you Phillites are in taper madness!

Anonymous said...

Only a few more days!! I am so psyched for you!! And we ARE so celebrating when you are finished!! Keep me posted on everything. Your running buddy, Erica

Stacey said...

Good luck with your race and the experiments! I'm excited to hear how it goes!

Run Mommy said...

Just found you..good luck at the race. I look forward to reading more!