I have a lot of pep talks with myself lately and play little games to get me through some of my runs. Here's how this morning went:
Woke up at 5:15am and said out loud, "Man, I do not feel like running AT ALL today." I think I even threw in a big sigh, looking for Andy to tell me to come back to bed. Which didn't happen. Probably because he knows by now that I won't. As I walked out the door to the gym, I thought, "maybe I'll just do the elliptical and not run." I kept telling myself that this would be ok because I haven't taken a day off from running in so long, that one day wouldn't kill me. But then as I entered the gym and headed to the treadmill, not the elliptical, I decided, "3 miles on the treadmill and 3 miles on the elliptical." So I start running, wondering if I can really wear sandals to work with my unpainted toenails in this horrific state (I'm currently losing 3 nails and have some champion blisters) and before I knew it, I was at mile 3. At this point, I told myself, "just do 5 miles and make up the extra mile on Saturday." But at 4.5 miles I said, "what the heck, there's only 1.5 more to go at this point...sprint it out!!" When I hit 6, I felt great and thought, "that was easy!" I'm so glad I can have these little chats with myself.
And in case you're wondering, I did wear sandals to work...I'm proud of my battle scars!
1 comment:
You say you're proud of your battle scars. I feel the same way when I go to work after a long hard workout and my legs are sore and tired. No one can really see it but I know it and it's like my dirty little secret. My wife never understands it when I try to tell her how I think it's cool.
Post a Comment