Saturday, January 17, 2009

Wussed Out

I wussed out and didn't run outside this morning. It was only 6 degrees out (not accounting for the wind chill) and I just didn't want to 1) lose my nose to frostbite 2) risk getting hurt because I never warmed up enough 3) be coughing up a lung the rest of the weekend. So instead I ran 10 miles on the treadmill at the gym. I was dreading it but it wasn't that bad. The first 6 miles went so fast! The last 4 were a little rough due to the IT issue, but I finished. Afterwards, the pain is so bad, though. It calms down after I stretch but right after I'm done running the pain actually makes me wince and I find myself saying "ouch" out loud. I stretched really good, took some Advil, and iced it when I got home. I'm thinking about ordering The Stick. Anyone use it for IT issues?

My run today brought me to 65 miles for this month. I'm on target for my 100 miles a month but realized it won't be as easy to hit this goal each month because January is longer. (has 5 weekends).

I did A LOT of thinking during my run today and I'm hoping to sign up for something this weekend. Hopefully some other bloggers in this area will join me. Stay tuned for a big annoucement!

19 comments:

RunningLaur said...

10 miles on a treadmill doesn't sound like wimping out to me, that's impressive!
Good luck with the stick. I've heard good things, but haven't tried it myself.

Abby said...

Yeah, ND and I totally wussed out, too. No outside running for me this weekend!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

i'm about to hit the treadmill for a run too... it's still too cold outside, and your reasons are the same as mine. Have a great weekend!

Abby said...

I just realized that I lied in my first comment - I have a trail run planned for tomorrow morning.

I do use the stick for IT issues, and I find it helpful when I'm using it on a regular basis, but mostly just painful when I do it haphazardly. I was at the PT yesterday and he was doing this bizarre IT manipulations - it hurt SO MUCH (I'm hoping it was productive pain!)

Joe said...

A lot of runners love the stick. They're not too expensive, so it might be worth a try. Give it two weeks to make a difference. You didn't wuss out. 10 on a treadmill is definitely good.

Joe
www.fitnessgeekga.wordpress.com

joyRuN said...

Geez. 10 miles on the mill is not wussy at all.

I wanted to order a stick, but then I discovered my rolling pin :)

Felice Devine said...

I am a HUGE FAN of the stick! I swear I owe my running to it. I had bad ITB problems years ago and learned about the stick. It saved me. I also do a 15 minute set of leg exercises that a PT recommended about 7 years ago. I have been doing them religiously, every night, since then. I've probably only missed a handful of nights!

Anyway, about the stick. I use it before all of my runs to loosen up my muscles. I don't use it as much afterward but the before the runs is key for me. I also use a foam roller sometimes, but that is mostly after runs and when I notice pain.

Marci said...

I really like my stick, just got it and retired the rolling pin. 10 miles on the TM is hardly wussing out girl!

N.D. said...

Haha, abby and I were going to go for a 10 miler too, but yea, too cold! I haven't left the house today! I dreadmilled it too. Good job getting through it!

Marlene said...

Way to stick it out on the treadmill.

I prefer a foam roller for IT issues - it allows you to use your own body weight to 'roll out' the sore/tight muscles.

RunToTheFinish said...

I totally have a breaking point with the weather and it's definitely above 6 degrees.

I know some folks who tried the stick and really liked it. I am too much of a weeney to use it

Janice {Run Far} said...

We were 6 degrees here this morning too. I also tackled the treadmill long run. (11 for me) It wasn't bad at all.

When my IT band was acting up, I just used my rolling pin.

Run Mommy said...

10 miles on a treadmill is tough! I have tried it a few times and it can get pretty boring..unless something good is on the TV. :) Good for you!

Stacey said...

I would have stayed indoors too! It was 25 here this morning on my 12 miler...I don't like going outside if it is below 20.
My husband uses The Stick for PF. I haven't used it for IT pain. It wouldn't hurt to try. It is a great little tool! Have a great weekend.

BOBBI McCORMICK said...

your my hero, #1 you ran 10 miles on a tredmill!!! #2 you run in the cold...I AM THE WUSSE! lol Wish I could do a race this weekend!

SuperDave said...

Did you just say 10 miles on a TM??
You are the shiznit!
I'm dreading that tomorrow I have to do 6 on the TM. ughh..

Laurel said...

I didn't go either. Jeremy did though and he came home with icicles on his beard!

Sorry about your IT band. I think the foam roller works better than the stick for IT. But that's just me.

Can't wait to hear your announcement!

Aron said...

i love the stick!! the foam roller is a little better for the ITB but i use the stick too. plus it works on other areas better :)

wow 10 mile on the treadmill??? awesome job!

raulgonemobile said...

I bought a foam roller for my ITB, and I think it works pretty well. It's not a lot of fun, mind you, but it gets the job done.

Can't wait to see what you're signing up for..