Saturday, January 24, 2009

Not Race Ready

I just got back from a 12 mile run and I am a little disappointed. I just don't feel like I'm in shape to run a race. Now, it could have been the conditions. It was cold and we were running on packed down snow so it was pretty slippery. But I just felt slow and out of shape. My body wasn't tired, I just didn't have much to give. I finished what I set out to do and averaged a 9:37 pace (total time 1:55), just wish I felt better at the end of it.

Next Sunday I'm running the New Orleans half and I was hoping for a PR (need to beat 1:46), but I'm not sure that's going to happen. Today's run just left me feeling sort of defeated. :-( I have 10 more miles to get in to reach my goal of 100 each month so I'm thinking of doing that early this week and then not running the rest of the week. Maybe a little rest would help me feel more into it come Sunday morning.

I hope everyone has a good weekend!

23 comments:

N.D. said...

Wow! You are done running at it is 9:30am! That's great, I am jealous! Don't be too hard on yourself! Sometimes you have a run where you don't feel good and it makes you lose confidence. Once you have a good run you will feel great about next weekend. You are going to do great!!!

Stacey said...

You will do great next weekend! There are always ups and downs in running and sometimes those not so good runs turn out the best results later. Don't get discouraged, YOU ARE READY!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

there are good runs and bad... today was just one of those crummy ones, and you're right, the conditions probably played a huge part of that. Trust your training, and don't let today's run get you down, you will do amazing next weekend.

Cindy said...

hi! i ditto all of the above. don't let it get into your head--be confident and have a good race!
p.s. your tattoo is fabulous :) :)
p.p.s. i didn't think i could run with a podcast either, but now i'm hooked.

Marci said...

And I will parrot what the other comments are saying. The snow really slows you down, and activates many muscles rarely used, which I think helps in the long run!

Sarah said...

Everyone is right! You might hae just had a bad run. They happen! Keep your chin up - you'll rock that race!

Unknown said...

You just got the bad run out of the way this weekend instead of next. Now you're due for a great run on race day!

RunningLaur said...

everybody is right! You've done the work, I think you'll be great. And it's New Orleans, enjoy it!

Janice {Run Far} said...

Running on the snow, no matter how packed it is, is so hard on your body and will tire you out so much faster. You will be fine.
I am thinking PR.

Every Gym's Nightmare said...

oh no- cheer up! Give it a shot- what do you have to lose?

There were times in gymnastics where I KNEW I wasnt going to do well (sick, injured, etc.) but its still fun because I loved it. You love running right? do it for fun

Kelly Turner
www.everygymsnightmare.com

Iron Mike said...

Looks like New Orleans is pretty flat, you'll have a shot at that PR. 50 miles in the 20in24 is cool, you get a nice medal, and probably can't walk the next day. You're already putting in 100miles/month, so you're definitely on the right track.
I'm not trying to win either, but would like to get 100 miles if the stars are aligned properly.
Good luck in your half!

Run Mommy said...

You have nothing to be worried about - you are super fast and you should have no problem next week. Everybody has good and bad ones. If this week is bad - next week will be great!

RunToTheFinish said...

You'll be just fine. the atmosphere, the excitement, it'll get you more than through that teeny tiny 1 mile

Marlene said...

Probably just an 'off' day. I hope some rest helps so you can go get that PR!

Unknown said...

I'm sure you're fine. It's the winter blues hitting us all.

BOBBI McCORMICK said...

just keep thinking that you have worked for this you have earned it! YOU CAN DO IT!

Abby said...

Hey, do you run with a group here in Philly?

Got word yesterday that I'm headed out of town July 17th. I was kind of bummed - I got excited about the prospect of the 20in24!

RunToTheFinish said...

oh you've got the PB thing all wrong! There are in fact running diets that say start your day with 1 TSBP of PB before running. It's a perfect protein and helps you lose weight. If you don't have teh good fats you can't lose weight and be healthy, I know I've been there!

Laurel said...

Hey, were you with a group at the edge of the Wissahickon trail at the corner of Ridge in Manayunk at around 8am? I saw a group out there and actually 2 of the girls looked like they could have been you. I'm always on the lookout for bloggers when I'm out.

I'm sorry you had a crappy run. If it makes you feel any better, right before Philly I had a strong of AWFUL runs up to a week before the race. Maybe running in a new place will help.

Aron said...

you are going to do GREAT next weekend!!! don't be so hard on yourself... there are bad runs and there are good runs, you were just saving the good one for next weekend!!

raulgonemobile said...

It was probably because you got out of bed so early to run.. Holy cow. 9:04AM and you're blogging? Really? I'm impressed. I was thinking about getting up at that time :)

As everyone else has said, it's probably just an off day... Try getting a little extra rest this week, and I'm sure you'll find some extra reserves to tap in to for the weekend..

Brooke said...

You will totally get your PR! The weather is supposed to be great (10% chance of rain, sunny high 65 low 48, 65% humidity!). The best part is the humidity...if it's really that low I'll be stoked..it's usually around 90%. The course is super flat, and any fans are on the first half. There might be brass bands too. You've got it! Just keep your eyes on the ground...roads are in bad condition and you don't want to break an ankle!

Julianne said...

Don't let your Saturday run be an indication of what's to come on your half marathon! Don't be too hard on yourself. Good luck!!