Monday, January 12, 2009

Maintenance Needed

I feel so lost not following a training program, I do much better when I hold myself to a routine. So I did some searching today and I found a maintenance plan that alternates between 30 and 33 mile weeks. It's 5 days of running with the long run being either 10 or 12 miles. Now 5 days of running is ok, but I need 2 days for lifting so that equals ZERO days off. How do I always end up with no days off? If I had more time in the day, I could do lifting and running on the same day, but there's just never enough time. I like to do total body when I lift so I need a fair amount of time. I guess I could break it up, but I know I'll still feel rushed. I hate feeling rushed when I lift.

I had to drag myself to the gym today. Slept like crap last night because of Newman. If he wasn't so cute I'd probably kill him. Anyway, I got there and did the elliptical because I wanted to save my knees for a longer run tomorrow. Also did Week 4/Day 3 of the push up challenge and it went really well. Maxed out at 20 on the 5th set. Next up is a progress test then moving on to Week 5...hopefully. This is where it really picks up and you do 8 sets instead of 5.

Weekend was good, busy, and a little crazy with some friends! Did a ton more house stuff yesterday and made the decision to put the hardwood floors in ourselves. Yes, the couple who has never done a home renovation before has decided to lay about a thousand square feet of hardwood flooring. This may be the end of a very beautiful marriage...

16 comments:

Unknown said...

I found your blog by Googling Delware Marathon... have you given it more thought? I'm going for it, though training now's certainly not as much fun as the summer. Good luck!

RunToTheFinish said...

I like not really having days off but I'm sort of weird, working out is fun for me.

My hubs put in the wood floors we have...so long as I just let him be with the cutting we were fine.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

lol at the home reno's. I know that we could never do one together and both of us surviving! Good luck with the program if you decide to follow it!

Marlene said...

I hear you on not having time for double-workouts. Awesome job getting to the gym for some elliptical, even though you were so tired.

A maintenance plan sounds like a good idea. I function better with a schedule too.

PS - I tagged you!
http://marleneontherun.blogspot.com/2009/01/my-turn-tagged.html

Aron said...

i am totally with you on the schedule... i always have fun even when i am not training just because :)

maybe one day a week make it a double? get an early morning run in or visa versa? i am trying to incorporate other areas into my short/easy run days.

Abby said...

Good luck with the floors! Brent and I have done a few house project together and our marriage has come out relatively unscathed :)

Julianne said...

I don't know what to do with myself if I don't have a training plan/program! That's probably why I schedule marathons every 3 months or so. Oooh, a maintenance running program is a great idea, though! I need to check it out!

Felice Devine said...

I think it is good to have a schedule, to some degree. I also really like just getting out and enjoying my runs and doing only what I feel like doing.

Good luck w/the floors!

RunningLaur said...

I found your blog through Runtofinish and I'm excited to read all about your running!
I'm just about to start running without a specific schedule, and I'm scared! I know exactly what you mean about needing a plan.

Unknown said...

You sound like me. I seem to always need something to work towards with my running.

RunningLaur said...

I'm from York originally - so when people ask, I'm from PA near Baltimore, which gets some weird looks, but is most accurate.

Philly's a great place to run - but I don't think I'd be able to take all of those rolling county hills any more!

Nikemom said...

A plan is a must. I love to do two-a-days cuz I feel so great, then I can have a day off. Good luck with the floors. :D

RunToTheFinish said...

just posted about kitty...he's not so great, so we'll see what happens

N.D. said...

Haha, good luck with the flooring!! I like not doing days off too. I feel so much better when I'm moving!

BOBBI McCORMICK said...

Yes I too must be on a plan I know how you feel:)

Emily said...

I am going to need to get on a maintenance program once I finish my half (1/25). Right now my program is similar w/5 days of running, but my two easy days almost feel like off days, if that makes sense. Can you tell me where you got this program?