Friday, January 23, 2009

Frosty Fingers Photo Friday

Well, it's Photo Friday over at Nikemom so I thought I'd post a picture I took on Monday after my run in the snow. I have Raynaud's Syndrome, sometimes referred to as a "Raynaud's Phenomenon." I have it pretty good not only in my fingers, but also my toes and nose. When it happens I can't feel my fingers and they are extremely sensitive to temperature. When the blood starts to come back, they burn like hell and turn fun shades of blue/purple/red. (I'll have to get a picture of this for next Friday!) It is almost always triggered during cold weather, but air conditioning and even eating cold foods will also cause it to flair up. It's really bizarre. While it's usually contained to just finger tips, Monday after my run I could just not warm up (story of my life!) and I lost feeling in ALL fingers, the entire finger. This picture doesn't do it justice because I had to wait for Andy to get out of the shower to take the picture for me. At that point, the blood was starting to come back a bit.


I took today off from running and did the elliptical instead. My IT is feeling sooo much better since I've been using the painful, but oh so wonderful, foam roller. But now my left knee is hurting. I thought I'd give it a rest since I'm planning a 12 miler tomorrow morning. We have a little bit of a heat wave here so it will be in the 30's for my run tomorrow. Woo hoo! That's almost shorts weather!

19 comments:

Lindsey said...

Oh my word!!! Brrr!

Janice {Run Far} said...

Holy crap. That sucks.

I hear ya on the weather. It is 54 here right now and it is killing me to not be running. The hubs is gone and I need a sitter. UGH.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

wow... stay warm! :)

joyRuN said...

WHOA! I've never actually seen Reynaud's like that.

Have a great weekend.

Jess said...

Crazy! I have the same thing, but it's only ever been a problem in the tips of my fingers (and my toes and nose of course)

Stacey said...

Wow. That is crazy. Have a great weekend! Have fun running your 12 miles.

Sarah said...

That makes me cold!

Unknown said...

Oh wow that is weird. I have never seen that before. That would freak me out.

Jeanette said...

Freaky Cold Medina (spelling???)

Chic Runner said...

OMG that freaked me out! Keep those babies warm! :)

raulgonemobile said...

Holy crap, that's wild!

Felice Devine said...

Eek! Good luck w/the 12 tomorrow!

Marlene said...

Oh my gosh! Keep those digits warm!

Glad to hear the IT is feeling better - have a great run (and weekend)!

RunningLaur said...

OMG that looks horrible!!
I think I might have to look into a foam roller for my ITB as well. It sounds like it's helped you out.

Unknown said...

Wow, I learned about Raynaud's in pharmacy school but have never seen it. Good luck on your 12 tomorrow!

Tammy said...

Yikes! And, I thought my fingers were cold.

Enjoy that heat wave. It's cooling back down around here, after only one warm day (52 degrees!!) yesterday.

N.D. said...

OMG wasn't today gorgeous!!! I felt like it was spring! Tomorrow should be good! Where are you doing your run? That thing with your fingers and toes is scary, ggesssh!! Glad the IT is feeling better!

Iron Mike said...

Yeah, we're fellow Lone Rangers this summer! I ran it last year, though I learned of the race only 10 days before race day. I will have to read through your blog more thoroughly to see what your goals are, but I definitely found you because I want to have an idea how other normal people are training (where "normal" means you never set a world record for distance run on a treadmill in 24 hours, like last year's winner). Keep those fingers warm!

SuperDave said...

You are only the third person/ patient that I have ever seen w/ "Raynaud's."
I remember being younger and playing outside until frostbite nearly set in. Yes you are correct by saying that it HURTS when blood flow kicks in!
heatwave in the 30's LOL!