Thursday, April 30, 2009

TIaRT - Time & Balance

The theme this week for TIaRT is Time and Balance. I'm a planning freak and get completely stressed out if my week isn't planned out. If something happens to throw off my schedule, I get really worked up. Good thing Andy is a planner, too. We'd never work if he wasn't. The only down side to our planning is that we drive poor KT crazy. She's a fly by the seat of your pants kind of girl. :-) Anyway, the best way I find to manage my runs, and make sure I get them in, is to have a schedule. Every week I know what I need to run each day and what the pace will be. That way, I even know how much time to allow for each run. Aside from having a set schedule as far as what time of day to run (before vs after work), this really helps manage getting my runs in and doing everything else that needs to get done.

Thanks for all the nice comments about my last post. I ran the following day and felt great. I really must have needed that day off. I ran my last speed workout before Broad street yesterday and average a 7:40 and a 7:20 for my two race pace miles. Once again, I felt good at this pace. I hope that's the case on Sunday. I ran another 4 this morning and man, I'm really sucking at the morning runs. I don't know how I used to do this every single day! I have 3 miles tomorrow and then I'm off on Saturday. I haven't had a Saturday off in I don't know how long!! I'll be heading to the Expo to pick up my race packet and then taking it easy. Sunday after the race we'll be going out with some friends to hopefully celebrate a PR!!

Oh, and I finished April with 143.5 miles! Not too shabby!

19 comments:

Unknown said...

Very nice April mileage!

Abby said...

Good luck this weekend! Enjoy the Rocky theme song at mile 9 :)

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

Sweet April mileage. I am 100% there with you on the planning...my sister asked me to lunch today but I had to say "No" because I have no way to make up my mileage. It may be a balance in priorities but when in my life will I have this focus on my goals??

Good work, your pace ROCKS!!

Susan said...

Good luck at the race! Hopefully you'll have something to celebrate after!

Amber said...

I'm a total planner too, especially with my runs!

Good job on the mileage!

Rookie on the Run said...

No, not too shabby at all! In fact, that is awesome!

I am not a planner when it comes to my personal life. I love acting on whims, making quick decisions, and being spontaneous! At the same time, I could definitely benefit from better time management skills.

Have a great race! I'm sure you'll be out there celebrating a PR! :D

Marlene said...

Nice mileage!

Glad to hear you got out and had a great run. Nice pace on your speed run! Go get that PR this weekend.

ShutUpandRun said...

Great mileage for April!!

Carly said...

Great April stats! I need a little of your planning skills.

Felice Devine said...

Not too shabby is right!

Sorry about the tank being empty but glad you had a good run to follow it up. It happens! It sounds like you are really ready for the race on Sunday so good luck and have fun!!!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Wow, lots of mileage in April, well done! :)

Katie said...

My april mileage was 9 miles!! Woo hoo! I think I need to start planning more.

Congrats on your mileage!

joyRuN said...

Oh, man! I'd love to be able to say that 7:20 pace felt good - I'd be doubled over sucking wind :)

Scheduling ahead & having a plan definitely helps!

kristen said...

I completely understand the nerosis about planning. Sometimes I even plan my meals out for the week.

Great job with the April mileage.

Good luck this weekend.

Unknown said...

I am a newbie to your blog. Thanks for visiting my blog. I have you in my Bloglines now. FYI - your April mileage came close to mine and that's aint shabby. I still consider it very good mileage.

kristen said...

I just read your response to my question about running tempo runs too fast. Makes sense for sure. I think what I did was more like speedwork since I had such drastic (for me) pace increase. Definitly going to have to work on this. Thanks. And yes, you are going to make a great personal trainer!

X-Country2 said...

Great April! I wish I was as dedicated to a plan as you.

Anonymous said...

You are going to have a great race! I really hope the rain holds off :)

By the way I am a super planner too and I have when someone/something throws a knife in my plans.

Ps- I like your new layout.

Natalie D said...

Morning runs are hard! Broad Street is going to be a huge PR for you!! : ) GOod luck!