Friday, May 1, 2009

Starting NOW

I'm quitting it with the snacking. Throughout the move and now that we're in the new house, I've gotten so lax about eating at night. I'm starting my own little May challenge, if anyone wants to join me. Since I know I can't go to bed hungry with the running I'm doing and going to be doing, for the month of May I'm going to get into the habit of measuring out a single serving. No more eating peanut butter out of the jar, or dry cereal out of the box. If I'm going to sit down with a snack at night, I'm going to take ONE serving. If I'm still hungry before I go to bed, then I'll reevaluate what I'm eating during the day versus how much I'm running and make adjustments.

I've been weighing myself lately and I'm 3 lbs above where I was for marathon training. I'd ideally like to get back there and then lose 3 more lbs. We'll see if measuring out snacks helps. I have a feeling it might. I know this is my trouble spot.

Sorry for the rant, but I had to get this out there so I hold myself to it.

22 comments:

CJ said...

I got into the habit of measuring out my portions and can say it's very helpful. I do it now without thinking. I started in January and lost 8 more pounds pretty quickly so I think the measuring with the training really worked well together.

CJ

Marlene said...

I'm with you! I have such a bad habit of mindless snacking and those calories add up.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

sounds like a great idea... i need to be more conscious of my daily calories too.

Robert Barker said...

I hear you, I have had a hard time with the snacks as of late too. I will join you on the boycot. :)

Erica said...

Sounds like I great idea to me, portion control not one of my strong points but it needs to be. No more thoughtless snacking :)

ShutUpandRun said...

Great idea. I too am so guilty of bringing the WHOLE bag to the couch to eat in front of the TV. Turns out to be more like ten servings, I'm sure.

Tammy said...

I'm joining you! I told myself this exact thing this morning while I was getting ready for work. I was shocked to read my thoughts here.

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

Good luck! I find that when I get hungry at night a cup of tea helps curb the urge to hit the peanut butter jar..

Kelli said...

I hear ya! I feel like I can't stop eating. I mean right now I bet this bag of trail mix on my desk will be gone before lunch. Maybe I should lock in a drawer....

Jen Feeny said...

You can do it!!!! :)

Amber said...

Amen, I snack WAY too much at night, so I'll give it a shot too! :-)

raulgonemobile said...

Not a bad idea.. I threw down some nachos last night for the heck of it. :)

Sarah said...

Snacking sneaks up on you. I just inhaled a ReeseStick. At work. In 10 seconds or less. Not my normal behaviour.

Anonymous said...

I also gave up snacking and I stopped eating after 8pm (9pm on school nights). Using portion sizes made it a lot easier. Now I can visualize portions for the most part. You are on the right track!!

Toni said...

I've been doing the same thing lately and the scale shows it! I have really been trying not to eat before bed, when I don't I drop the extra pounds.

Jeri said...

Thanks for the comment! Great idea on the portion control business. I tend to just chow down without realizing how MUCH I'm eating. It'll definitely help you to determine if you're actually full after the one serving, instead of mindlessly continuing on with eating more. I definitely struggle with that!

Natalie D said...

i hear ya.. I'm just gonna keep going until I can't take it anymore! I know I can't measure out of the jar. I gotta use a spoon, but soon I will have enough of myself and gross stomach. : )

Trishie said...

It's so hard to train AND lose weight ... and I'm trying to do the same. hang in there !

Rookie on the Run said...

Good luck! And good idea. Maybe I ought to try that. I especially need to measure cereal. I love cereal and really fill that bowl as high as I can. :p Calories add up!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Thanks for stopping by. Weight? dont go there. I have 15 more to lose before IMFL this November, but will get there.
I've known a few ultra runners in my day, good luck with that venture.

Marathonman101108 said...

Hey! Thanks for the comments on my blog. Speaking of weight and measuring, I lost 35 lbs. on Weight Watchers 3 years ago. Well, long story short, I now work part time for them, and have an extra 5 lbs. that's annoying me, so it was back to business this week with weekly weigh-ins instead of monthly. Good choice with the portion control and dumping the few extra lbs.

Linda said...

Hi! I just stumbled after seeing you comment on others. I'm going to join you - my goal is to lose about 3lbs that I recently added...and it would be nice to lose 3 more on top of that. My race is coming up at the end of May and it would be so much more comfortable if I weighed a bit less. At the moment, I'm not cutting out any foods but am mentally calculating the portion sizes of everything I eat.