Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Less Than 8 Weeks

There are less than 8 weeks to go until the Ultra! Part of me feels confident and part of me is "What the f*%# am I about to do?" I am so lucky I stumbled upon Coach Jack because when I registered for this, I was going at it alone. I had no idea what I was getting myself into. At least I know now that Coach is going to have me as prepared as I can be. It's also great to be training with other Lone Rangers (Coach is one of them) and know I'll have company on race day. I'm really going to start buckling down and watching my overall nutrition and health over the next month and a half. I want to go into this feeling great and in prime health. So yes, that might mean no more champagne. *tears*

As far as miles, I'm nearing my maximum weekly mileage and still feeling great. I really thought running every day after work would be difficult but it's working out just fine. Mentally and physically I'm doing great. I went through some burn out training for Philly marathon, but so far I haven't experienced anything like that. The only thing that is a little stressful is trying to figure out my weekend plans so I still have a little bit of a life (and more importantly, that Andy still has a life). The back to back long runs (and the upcoming 30-33 milers) really effect my weekend so I'm trying to plan things around them. Believe it or not, I'm actually looking forward to the 30 mile runs. So curious to see how I feel after 6 hours of running! YIKES!!

Here's my schedule for this week:
Mon - 4 mi (5:1) -- easy run to recover from the back to back 18s
Tues - 6 mi
Wed - 7 mi (5:1)
Thurs - 5 mi
Fri - 18 mi (5:1)
Sat - 20 mi (5:1)
Sun - Off

27 comments:

Marlene said...

8 weeks already? Seems like you were just starting this program. It really seems to be a good fit for you. I can't wait to hear about these crazy long runs!

ShutUpandRun said...

Incredible! I need to find me a Coach Jack. I am so impressed by your progress and the miles you are logging. Sounds like you did it the right way.

kristen said...

It's so cool to hear about all this ultra training. It's a whole new world to me.

Just think about how sweet that champange will taste POST-race!

Good luck with this weeks long runs.

Jeanette said...

Are you seriously going to run 30 miles at once??? Is that with the 5:1 plan?

raulgonemobile said...

Wow, that's incredible! You're doing great!

I'd be sad giving up the booze myself. I'll make sure to have at least one for you..

I can't wait to hear about the 30 milers.. I find that truly amazing

Anne said...

Wow, you're almost there! That is an insane amount of running-- I don't know how you do it, but it's totally impressive. You're doing great!

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

I have TOTAL burn-out and am having real difficulty fitting things in around birthday parties and work events. GEEEZZZ!! Excited for a 30 miler, hmmm?? Good luck with that!!

X-Country2 said...

I hope you feel this great for the next 8 weeks!

Being Robinson said...

WOW, amazing job and I can't even comprehend running30 miles for a training run. You are a rockstar!! I hope burnout stays away and you continue to feel great.

JenZen said...

Only 8 weeks! That's coming up quick. It's so amazing that you're not feeling the burn-out too. I was wiped after my marathon training and had to gradually find my way back in. Whew - 30 milers...I can't even imagine.

Abby said...

I'm having so so much fun following along with your training!

As far as the hamburgers, I've been a vegetarian for years so didn't try them myself, but Brent did, and he wasn't so impressed :)

Mrs. Smith said...

Wow! I was just browsing through some old running magazines & the stories of the Ultra Marathons are my favorites. I look forward to following your journey over the next 8 wks!

Felice Devine said...

That's awesome that it's going so well! The 5:1 seems to really be working. Good luck this weekend! Yahoo!

Natalie D said...

yikes, how can you have a life! one long run a weekend was hard enough!

Ace said...

First time visitor, I really like your blog. I'm eagerly reading your experiences with training for the ultra. What kind of overall training plan are you on? Keep on keepin' on!

Susan said...

I can't even imagine a 30 mile training run! I'm glad there are some other Lone Rangers around for you...I know I would definitely need the support!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

wow. a 30 mile training run, and back to back long runs ... i think I will forever have to live vicariously through you on this venture! You're doing so well in your training, so glad you have an awesome coach and support!! Time seems to be flying by!

Iron Mike said...

You're mileage looks great. Enjoy this weather.

Aron said...

i am excited for your 30 milers too!! wow thats just awesome :)

time is going by so fast!!

Unknown said...

Glad to hear your feeling good at the peak of your mileage. Great job!

The Lazy Triathlete said...

You can do it. Your work outs are just plain crazy. You are doing it the right way. You have plenty of time.

Unknown said...

One of these weeks I'm going to match your miles...minus the 18 and 20 milers that is!

Ronnie

Norma said...

The coaching plan seems to be working really well for you so far...just keep doing it!!! :)

Katie A. said...

WOW! 8 weeks to go! You rock! They are going to fly by!
A bit off topic, but I was wondering if you have ever used Imodium before a race? I think I have seen you talk about a couple of times. I have a race on Sunday, San Diego, and I really don't want to stop twice which always happens? I just can't get through a race without having to urgently "go!" Do you think this might be a good solution? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Unknown said...

Maybe I should tone down on the throwing up comments huh? I thought all "true runners" threw up when they ran :)

Ronnie

Jamie said...

Wow only 8 weeks! Glad training is going well. Looks like you are coming along great! It's really cool to see what you are doing each week.

Toni said...

30 miles sounds incredible to me. I can't believe you only have 8 weeks left! You are doing great.