Friday, May 15, 2009

FABULOUS 18 miler!

Since I'm pressed for time tomorrow I decided to up my miles today from 15 to 18. That leaves me with 10 to do tomorrow morning, which will be much more manageable. I headed out around 6:30am this morning and it was already nice and humid out. For the Ultra training, my back to back long runs are ran at a 5:1 run/walk ratio. Every 5 minutes, I walk for one minute and use that minute to eat and drink. Today I ate Clif shot bloks with caffeine at mile 7 and these really hit the spot. I try to stay away from the caffeine, but thought I'd be ok eating only 3 bloks. Around mile 12 I was feeling hungry so I tried a honey stinger for the first time. Have you guys tried these?? I was pleasantly surprised. It went down much easier than a gel or gu and tasted MUCH better. One pouch has 120 calories, 50mg sodium, 85mg potassium and 29g carbohydrate. Having issues with gels in the past, I was a little worried to try this but it sat in my stomach just fine. I'll be using these again.

I also wore Wright Socks today. Another nice find!! Wright Socks sent me a pair to try out and I was more than happy to do so. While I've always been a huge fan of Balaga socks, these Wright Socks might be my new fav. My blood blister which has been bothering me since Broad street actually didn't bother me today. There must be something to these double layer socks!! From the packaging, "the air space between the layers acts as an insulator from cold and heat - resulting in a friction free, cool, dry environment." The socks are also "blister free - GUARANTEED." Can't beat that!!

So overall, I just had a great run!! It was a beautiful, peaceful morning and the best part of it all, at the end, I could have kept going...

19 comments:

Laura said...

Wicked run.
I found a new gel that I am really enjoying - CarbBoom in apple cinnamon. It isn't as thick as the others and not too sweet.

Anonymous said...

woo hoo sounds awesome!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

love my wright socks :D Awesome run! Have a great weekend.

Abby said...

Sounds like a great run!

I haven't tried the stinger gels, but I have used their bars for super long races. They're really dense calorically (350 per bar, I think), so I don't see the need for them most of the time, but I had one right before the start of the ironman, and another during a long adventure race, and both times they gave me a ton of fuel. Might be something to think about for the ultra!

Casey said...

Way to go! I am really interested in the Wright Socks. Everyone seems to love them! Gels are usually hit or miss w/ me, but I think the stinger pouch looks doable!

Great run!

Stacey said...

That sounds like a great run! I have been wanting to try the honey stingers. (I have issues with gu, too) I will have to try them!
I'm sure you have mentioned this, but what training program are you using?
Have a great weekend.

Eliza Returns said...

Uber-congrats on the great run!

Unknown said...

Great job with the 18-miler! It looks like you are well on your way.

Marlene said...

Awesome job on the 18-miler!

That honey/gel looks interesting. I haven't seen them around here.

Have a great weekend!

JenZen said...

Don't you just love it when I run comes together like that! Awesome! I haven't seen the honey stuff before. I ususally do the gu, but it can be a little unsettling on the belly. Cool about the socks too. I'll have to look for those. Great post!

Anne said...

Awesome run! I've never seen those honey stingers, but they look interesting. I've also never tried the wright socks, but they sound really nice!

Norma said...

You. Are. AWESOME!!! I just heard about those socks from someone else yesterday, coincidentally...must get a pair!

Unknown said...

Ok, everyone seems to love wright socks so I think I need some!

Chic Runner said...

Hmmm I will have the try the honey stingers! :) Thanks for a great post and congrats on the long mileage, glad it was great :) Those are the best runs!

BOBBI McCORMICK said...

you just motivated me for my 18 miler this weekend!!!!

N.D. said...

it was so humid today!! I'll have to try that gel. I love wrightsocks

Marci said...

Great job on the 18 miler. I will have to try that honey gel, never heard of it.

Unknown said...

I have not seen that gel before. Might have to just try it.

RunToTheFinish said...

wow you kicked it in to high gear fast for the ultra training! honey stinger is good stuff