I got a great night sleep but woke up to pouring rain. Thankfully, it was in the upper 50's so it wasn't too cold out. I ate some plain oatmeal, got dressed and headed out to meet my carpool buddies. I bought a disposable rain coat at an Expo a while back and never wore it so I pulled that out and it worked great.
By the time we arrived at the start, the rain had stopped. It started drizzling really lighting right when the gun went off but it wasn't bad at all. At least we didn't have to stand around in the rain before the race started. I was in the first corral and what usually is a disaster trying to get around other runners and settle into your pace was not an issue this year. This was the first year they used the corral system and it worked out really well from where I was seeded. I heard it was really crowded towards the back corrals, though. I really wanted to concentrate on running a controlled race and not pooping out by going out too fast. I settled into my pace right off the bat and felt great. The first 3 miles of the race flew by and mentally, I was doing great. At mile 5 I ate some beans hoping they would give me a little kick for the end. Everything was going great but at mile 7 I hit a bad spot. Mentally I was struggling. My body was feeling fine and could keep going, but my head was playing games with me. I just thought I wasn't going to be able to do it. Which is so weird because I run longer than this every weekend. I don't know why I psyche myself out like this. But I kept telling myself I just had to make it to mile 8. At that point, I'd have one mile to go before I could kick in what I had left and finish strong. When mile 9 came along, I was feeling much better. I held back until about a 3/4 of a mile to go, then I sprinted to the finish. I finished with a time of 1:18: 11, which is EXACTLY one minute faster than last year. According to my garmin, (which isn't working right...the mode button won't work!), I averaged a 7:47. I am really happy with the PR but I feel like I had more in me. I still have a lot to learn regarding how much I can push myself, etc. I feel pretty good this morning, with the exception of a little headache from my celebrating yesterday. My knees are a little stiff, and I have a nice blood blister, but the rest of me feels fine.
Mon - off
Tues - 6 mi
Wed - 3 mi
Thurs - 7 mi
Fri - 3 mi
Sat - 16 mi
Sun - 6 mi
35 comments:
I get excited to run when I read blogs like yours. Get it girl!
Cindie
Ouch that blister looks painful!
PS-The final tally for the run was 23,079.
Congrats on taking a minute off! Awesome job on the run, and glad you pushed through and beat the mental games. Well done! Good luck with the ultra training!! Game on!
I am really glad I get to follow your blog it is really uplifiting thinking that maybe i can go from a 5k to longer races (one day). Great job on bringing your time down.
http://myfirst5k-erica.blogspot.com/
Congratulations on the PR!
I always find the third quarter of a race (whether 5K, 10K, 10-mile, half, etc.) to be the hardest mentally. I don't know what it is... way to push through it!
Good luck with ultra training. That's going to be some serious mileage!
Great job! Way to push through that mental roadblock.
I get blisters like that all the time. What's up with that? Hopefully it's not too painfull and your body recovered from the race and celebration nicely.
Great job.
great race!
Every long race I run, I seem to hit the point where my mind says, you can't make it, but another voice, just a little further, and then you reach the point where you know you are going to make it and that you feel pretty good. So, I hear you! Ouch on the blister. Ultra training, oh my, too much for me.
Awesome PR! that blister looks so painful - ouch!
So fast! In the rain! With a PR!
You're amazing!!
Way to go, sounds like a great morning!
FAST FAST!! Your blister looks exactly like the ones I used to get before I got fitted for shoes and insoles. YOu may have a good pair but with the distances you have coming up it would be a good idea to check in with your local running store.
I love how you recognize the mental aspects. I have found that when my head starts to play games I have to focus on something like the road, or a color, or my breathing, or the music. Something to get "me" out of my head.
Excellent!! Congratulations :)
If this is the same Coach Jack who was the 4:15 pacer at NJM - he seems awesome.
I love your hardwood floors!
That's the prettiest blood blister I ever saw! Thanks for sharing :) Good job on the race!!!
Eeks that blister looks scary! I would flip out but great job on getting in under a minute!!! :) You are a little speedster and hooray for a new PR! :)
Great job on the race!!! I can totally relate to the part about you psyching yourself out and worrying that you won't be able to finish strong. I've been doing that during the last couple of my races and I wish that my mind would just stop going crazy and I could just run!!!
Cute pic of you and your kitty...and your gorgeous hardwood floors : )
Great time and run girl! Loved the race report! Don't let yourself psyche yourself out!!! (Much easier said than done!) Way to go on the PR keep up the great running!
Isn't it funny how much running is so mental?
Thanks for having such a motivating blog!
~Kelly
http://redsoxcap.blogspot.com
Great job on your PR! The mental part of running is the hardest. Good luck with your ultra training.
Sweet PR, you are so fast! The mind games will get me every time, I swear the mental battle is the toughest part.
As they say, running is 99% mental and 1% physical. Great post-race report. I will have to sign up for this race next year. Congrats !!!
Great job on the race!
I hit mile 10 at 1:18, in 1/2 Sunday.
I had the minds games around mile 5,when the crowds were really packed. I felt the same way, and had the "quitting" thoughts enter my mind. I just concentrated on the 3:30 pacer's back, and settled down.
Good luck with the high mileage weeks ahead!
Nice effort, congrats on the PR.
Ouch! That blister doesn't look fun. You'll definitely want to get what caused that solved before your ultra. Good luck with the training!
Congrats on a great race. Nice blood blister btw.
Great job on the 10 mile race PR!!! And way to mentally stay tough at the end. :)
Ouch! That blister is not a pretty sight. I had one on the bottom of my foot and covered it with moleskin foam and continued to run just fine afterwards. I hope yours heal soon.
Congrats on an awesome race!! I hope that blister heals up before you starting logging the big miles!
That is the exact spot I get blood blisters! Any run over 5 miles. Annoying!!! Good job though - and based on your first picture, girl you've got some killer legs!
you've been training so hard, I don't think you should have been sore. thanks for the bulgar idea
I ran broad street too!
check out my review:
http://lovejackson.blogspot.com/2009/04/broad-street-run.html
Congrats on your race!
awesome job girl!!!! congrats on a great race :)
Your blog is very impressive. I am training for a 7.5 miler but I am thinking of signing up for a 5 miler before it because I have never ran in an official run before and I am really worried about the mental stuff. Congrats on improving your time!
Awesome job! I'm so sorry I forgot you.. :(
Post a Comment