223 -- That's my mileage for the month of May!! I just put in a 20 miler after my 18 miler yesterday and I feel great. I won't lie, towards the end of the 20 today, my legs were tired. But NOT sore, which is what matters. I can run through tired, don't want to run through pain.
I'm also happy to report that after yesterdays run, with stomach problems AGAIN, today was great. Here's a run down of both runs.
18 miler:
Ate a few beans around mile 3. At mile 6 I ate peanut butter on bread (100 calories) and took a salt capsule. My stomach started feeling a little funny around 8 but the bathroom at mile 8.5 was closed for cleaning. GRRR. I ate a few more beans around mile 9 and figured I'd hit the port-o-pottie up at mile 12. On the way I ate a few graham crackers in hopes they would settle my stomach, but no such luck. I finally reached the bathroom after what felt like an eternity only to find an over flowing toilet, with no toilet paper. Apparently I'm not the only runner with stomach problems. Knowing I couldn't make it another 3 miles to the bathroom, I drove home a half hour, hit the bathroom and then headed back out for my last 6 miles. Before starting up again, I had 4oz of Ensure and another salt capsule. Over the last 6 miles I ate a few more graham crackers and finished off the pack of beans. My stomach wasn't happy all day.
20 miler:
I took a pop tart cut into 25 calorie portions for toady's run. I ate 2 pieces around mile 3 and some more around mile 10. Aside from the baggie ripping and me leaving a trail of pop tarts, these worked pretty well. And it was a treat to be able to eat a frosted pop tart. Yum!! The other stuff was pretty much the same...100 calorie peanut butter sandwich at mile 7 with a salt capsule and Ensure with a salt capsule at mile 14. I ate a few graham crackers the last 6 miles, too. The only difference between this run and my other runs was that I didn't eat any beans/bloks, etc. I also didn't have hot sauce for dinner last night. :-) I looooove my hot sauce. So I'm going to test this out next week and leave the beans/bloks out and see how I do. It's amazing how much nicer a run is when you don't feel like you are going to poop yourself!!
I finished off the week with a little over 60 miles! I can't believe it. I only went out to 45 miles while training for the marathon and I thought that was a lot. This mileage doesn't feel burdensome at all!! I'm loving it!!
I hope everyone is having a great weekend. I'm heading out with Pumpkin for some cocktails tonight. It's beautiful here, can't wait to get out and enjoy the weather!
34 comments:
amazing miles!
This is the 1st month that I won't hit 100 this year.
All of your miles are such an inspiration. You deserve plenty if cocktails!
Holy WOW that's a lot of miles. Way go go!!
Poptarts... never would have thought of that!
congrats on the mileage! i'm new to your blog so I aplogize if you've mentioned it before...but what kind of pack do you carry while you run to hold all these goodies? I'm on the eternal hunt for a GOOD race pack, i've hated all of mine :(
That is amazing. Great job in getting in all that mileage. Keep it up and I hope your tummy feels better.
Great news on how good your feeling. That's some heavy duty mileage girl. Nice work.
When you get up to my level you won't feel tired towards the end of the 20 miles...you'll feel tired at the end of 20 feet :)
Great job!!!!
Ronnie
Wow! You're doing great!
And thanks for the idea to use Pop Tarts as running fuel. Brilliant!
Very inspirational! I enjoy reading your blog.
Just found your blog and I have to tell you that you're really inspiring!
Woohoo!! Girl, those are some really impressive miles!! Good for you!
I get the stomach issues too. What up with that?? What a pain... in more ways then one.
holy crap!!! That's amazing, i'm so excited for you, your training has been going so well!! Well done!
I'm awed every day by your dedication and great attitude!!!
That is some SERIOUS mileage!
It's interesting that you're eating "real" food as opposed to just your typical supplements. Maybe something to try.
Congrats on a huge week (and month)!
Wow, huge mileage, congratulations!! I love your home reno too!
223 miles?! I may hit that in about 2 months or so! I love Pop Tarts! Nice to know they're running food too. I've been reading your previous posts, and also read your times. I'm impressed with you and everything you've accomplished. I can tell that if you put your mind to it, you complete whatever you set out to do. That being said, I wish you luck with your latest challenge (May 18) as well as the Ultra challenge. Congrats again, Denise :-)
SWEET Mileage...I like to post my totals per mile but now I am a bit embarassed. LOL..
Stomach issues, yucky.. good luck with that.
I never considered eating a pop tart during a run! Thanks for the tip...smart idea to cut them up into smaller portions too. My favorite is the Cinnamon frosted pop tart...what flaver do you prefer?
I always had troubles opening up the bags of my Sport Beans and found a solution with zip-top snack bags as it's easier to open on the fly (run).
Nice job! I love your ideas for on the run fuel. They sound much better than Gu.
Great job on all those miles!
WOW!! great mileage!! Keep it up and your legs will get used to it.
or so they tell me.
wow, 60 mile week - super impressive !
Wow serious impressive mileage! Way to go! Hope you find a solution that makes your stomach happy.
That's quite a week of running. Glad to hear your legs are still feeling good after that. It sounds like your training is going really well.
That is a LOT of mileage! Great great job :)
Daaaamn, girl! That's really awesome.. I'm in awe!
Drink up, you've earned it!
Awesome May and super week!!!! That's really great. Sorry about the 18 & stomach issues but that's good that the 20 went well. I love my hot sauce, too, but I definitely steer clear of it the night before tough runs.
Yay! Your training is going so well!!!
oh my, that is amazing.
I still cannot fathom being anywhere near that...
Another great month! Keep it up girlie. :o)
That is a lot of miles! I'm glad you are enjoying your training.
Ugh, I hate it when I get stomach problems during a run. And... it always happens. Almost every run, I have to go #2. I was so surprised this Sunday when I ran 10 miles and didn't use the bathroom once. I should have kept running to celebrate! I am happy your 20 miler was better!
Congrats on 223! That is AWESOME!!!
your mileage is amazing. awesome work!
223 miles, that is super impressive!
I've only tried protein once on a run and it was a major GI disaster... I listened to a webinar put on by Infinit nutrition and they were saying that your stomach has a really hard time handling protein on the run. It is harder to digest and pulls water from your blood to help digest, causing cramps and GI distress. Just a thought in case you keep having issues.
AMAZING job!!!! that is so awesome on the miles and back to back LONG runs! you are going to do so great in your ultra!
Post a Comment