Sunday, May 24, 2009

Beaming!

I wasn't going to post today but I'm beaming after my second 18 mile run for the weekend. I was originally suppose to do 18 and 13, but added 5 miles on today. I feel GREAT!!! My legs were definitely tired around mile 15 and transitioning back to running after the walk breaks was getting harder and harder as the miles ticked away, but I actually finished with 18.3 miles for today. I came home, took an ice bath, laid down for a few and now I'm up and ready to go! These back to back 18 milers really boosted my confidence. Training for Philly, an 18 mile run would have me relaxing and off from running the next day. Not during Ultra training, though!!

Nutrition testing went better today, too. I took 2-100 calorie portions of peanut butter on bread and ate one of those at mile 6 with a salt capsule. At mile 12 I had a few sips of Ensure and another salt capsule. Along the way, in between those pit stops, I ate some beans and my last 2 Gu chomps. At one point I did feel full and sloshy inside, but that passed. I think salt capsules helped with that. I also noticed that my feet and hands didn't swell like they normally do and my arms and fingers didn't go stiff on me. My arms and fingers usually feel so stiff during a long run, even when I shake them out every few miles.

So all in all...GREAT weekend runs, with the exception of the explosive stomach yesterday!!! I am now officially going to start my weekend! And you all know what that means...mmmm, champagne!!

26 comments:

Natalie D said...

congrats that is great!

Norma said...

NICE job & if anyone deserves some champagne, I think it is YOU! :) Enjoy.

Therese said...

I can tell the endorphins have kicked in!! You are doing awesome :) Time for an adult beverage for sure!! How's the eating overall? I had a rough day yesterday...but overall the weekend is going extremely well.

Enjoy your holiday!

Toni said...

Great job on your long runs!

MOMMY-MOMO said...

awesome job! I need to get out there and run today!

ShutUpandRun said...

GREAT job. Sounds like you are really learning how to fuel yourself.

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

CONGRATS!! Amazing.. Enjoy the well-deserved champagne

RunnerDude said...

Congrats on the run! Awesome job! Do yo like the Chomps? I haven't tried them yet, but hear they're really good.

Elisabeth said...

Oooooo, you are giving up some great advice on nutrition during a long workout. Hmmmmm, I must try these chomps, chews and gels. And are the beans freeze dried??? Sorry, this is new to me. (email me if you like).

Enjoy your champagne, I think I'll have some sangria!!

Kelly said...

Very cool. Way to go!

Abby said...

Wow, congrats, what a great weekend!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Sweet!! Glad you had some great runs, and enjoyed the rest of the weekend :)

Anne said...

Congrats on the 18 milers! That's awesome! Enjoy that champagne, you deserve it :D

Jamie said...

Way to go on the back to back 18! That is awesome. And I'm glad you tried/liked the GU chomps - I've been wanting to try them but keep forgetting to purchase :)

RunningLaur said...

hooray hooray hooray!

kristen said...

Thats awesoeme. Your so hardcore. Glad to hear your legs are feeling so good. Very impressive.

X-Country2 said...

Yeah, 18 milers call for a nap and nothing the next day for me. :o)

The Lazy Triathlete said...

Great job. And that God for endorphins. LOL

Susan said...

Congrats!! That is amazingly impressive! I want to try Gu Chomps because I like energy chews over energy gels, but I haven't seen them yet!

RunToTheFinish said...

wow amazing! you are doing so fantastic with the training, it blows my mind

Marlene said...

Back to back 18-milers?! You're amazing. Congratulations!

Felice Devine said...

Way to go! I would be beaming if I were you, too! You're doing such a great job with your training. Yay!!!

Unknown said...

That is a great weekend of running. Awesome job!

Aron said...

wow that is so amazing - back to back 18 milers!!! love it :)

glad the nutrition is working out too!

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and the for the nice comment you left!

I obviously can return it right back to you. The fact that you can run, not 1, but 2 18 milers, is insane...but in a good way :)

You'll have to give me some tips and "insider information" so I at least have a chance at matching you. Problem is, I get out of breath DRIVING 18 miles :)

Thanks again
Ronnie

FLYERS26 said...

Nice job! It's it awesome when everything comes together in a run!
2 x 18... WOW !