I was completely floored by the comments I received to my post the other day. Honestly, that was the hardest thing for me to write about. While I was out for a run that night, I decided to take the post down when I got home. But once I saw all the comments, I couldn't do it. I'm sad for those who said they have similar problems, some too scared to talk about it or get help. We don't have to live like this but I definitely agree taking the first step to get help is the hardest. I have my appointment tomorrow and to be honest, I'm really nervous I'm not going to have the guts to bring this up. For some reason, I can't bring myself to talk about it out loud. Maybe I'll just bring my post and let her read it. Anyway, thanks to everyone for their kind and supportive words. I can't believe how supportive complete strangers can be and I really appreciate each and every one of your comments.
Now back to what this blog is suppose to be about...running has been going well this week. I have 54 miles on tap for the week with back to back long runs again. I ran 7 miles on Monday with the 5:1 run/walk ratio and when I was done, I didn't even feel like I had run. It's so nice to be getting the miles in without killing myself and feeling so beat up. I honestly feel great! I didn't feel nearly this good while training for Philly and I was running less miles. The rest of my runs this week, with the exception of the long runs, are just normal runs. Here's my schedule for the week:
Mon - 7 (5:1)
Tues - 5
Wed - 6
Thurs - 5
Fri - Off
Sat - 19 (5:1)
Sun - 12 (5:1)
25 comments:
Your blog is about whatever you want it to be about.. :)
That's a mighty impressive schedule!!
I agree with raulgonemobile. Whatever you want to write about.
Good luck with those btb long runs.
I like the idea of running 5:1. Does this help you increase mileage? Right now I can only hammer out about 4 miles without stopping and would love to increase it but am not really sure how to go about it.
Good luck at your appointment. My husband tells me I should probably see someone but I have never worked up the courage or $...
I think bringing your post to your appointment and letting the counselor read & think about it and then decide how to approach it with you might be the way to go! Good luck. On a running topic, I went to Sports Authority last night for new running shoes and was bemused/annoyed to see that they now try to sell you an EXTENDED WARRANTY on your shoes...for $10, you are covered against manufacturer's defect, etc. for three months. I don't know about you, but I've never encountered a faulty pair of sneakers...maybe some that I didn't like as much as others but I run through my shoes in about three months, anyway, so who needs to buy an extended warranty? Ah well... :) And with that, I am off for my run!
so glad you got the support you needed, and took the first step. Good luck at your appt, and i agree that taking your post is a great idea. :)
Sounds like the 5:1 is really working for you. Thank you again for your honesty the other day. I have been thinking about you and really think that "coming out the closet" (so to speak) is the first step to recovery and being true to yourself. It also shows how much you really want change. It's so tough to show our vulnerabilities to others. It takes major GUTS, so kudos to you!
It sounds like the 5:1 plan for longer runs is really working out well. You're handling the mileage like a rockstar!
Good luck at your appointment.
Hope your running goes well this week. I really like incorportating the run/walk workouts. They help me increase my pace and mileage. I've got one on the schedule today.
You know, it's amazing when you open up about something that is plaguing you, you find that there are a lot of people with the same problem.
Good luck with the counselor, and those back-to-back long runs!
Oh Denise, I just want to give you a hug.
I've struggled with food all my life too, and one of the recent steps I've taken with my dr and husband has been to chill out with the running a bit.
I'm not suggesting you scrap your race plan in the least, but for me, it was easier to control not running 55 miles a week than it is to tackle the food monster all at once. For me, food isn't just food. It's tied to obsessively working out and not sleeping enough as well.
Not that you have to spill your food issues to your running coach, but you may want to keep him in the loop about "maintaining a healthy food balance" so he doesn't go all Bella Karola (even jokingly) about not eating a peach one day.
I've called you incredibly brave before, and I'll say it again. Good luck, darlin'. :o)
I think you are so brave and amazing for writing your last post. I can't say I can relate, but I have an entirely different set of issues that take the help of therapists and what not. I have wanted to blog about it sometimes, but it's hard. I think you rock!
Just know that you have so many people out here to support you and cheer you on! You are incredible.
And watching you train for this ultra has me thinking maybe I want to give one a shot as well!
It's awesome that you are feeling so good with the mileage you are training at. Keep up the great work!
I'm so glad I've found your blog! My sister & I are also doing the Lone Ranger this summer and are hoping to hit 50 miles but we're a mess when it comes to training for it!
I told her about your blog so we're going to try to kick out some huge miles this weekend while trying out the run/walk thing. Keep your fingers crossed for us, and good luck with your own training.
Print the post...that is the best way to get the conversation started..
Wow girl that is a LOT of mileage. Keep up the good work
tough schedule you've set for yourself with b2b longs- good luck.
Thank you for sharing, very grown-up of you, I'm such a baby about that stuff; i never tell my little secrets. at night when it all starts to close in then i wish I could blurt it out loud. More than once this has led me down the wrong road... and in the morning I swear i'll do better.
We runners should know how to put one foot in front of the other: step 1, admit it. step 2, go meet w/ shrink. step 3, continue on down the road. i know what to do, I just can't do it for some reason. I'm proud of you for actually doing it. Good for you, And sincerely - best of luck!
That looks like a fun schedule! I am happy the 5:1 worked for you and didn't leave you fatigued!
It's so hard to talk to people about bingeing, because you worry about judgment. I do anyway. The therapist will be able to help though! They are not there to judge. Good luck :)
Ok your running is getting me all pumped to do this marathon and then keep going! I remember when I used to do 50 mile weeks all the time, so I need to keep that frame of mind and stop freaking out
Glad to hear the 5:1 schedule is working for you!
Good luck with your appointment! Taking your blog post may be helpful in case you forget everything you want (or need) to say.
I really commend you for going to a therapist - it's a very big step in a positive direction. Please please feel free to use us to talk to any time too. We're for sure here to support you.
I think taking in your post is a great idea. It's a wonderful summary of your past and current place. Keeping your coach in the loopcan only help too - as long as you feel you can discuss such things in confidence.
Best of luck tonight, I'll be thinking of you!
Glad your appt. is tomorrow. I hope it goes well! I would definitely at least bring the post. Then, maybe just having it with you will help you talk about it.
How often are you using the 5:1 ratio for your runs? My friend and I are trying to put together our ultra training plan for the fall, and I'm trying to wrap my head around all of it.
Oy, your weekend back-to-backs are HOLY impressive!
And so is your bravery from your last post. Good luck.
Those back to back long runs are crazy! I'm impressed at how good you feel with the higher mileage...good things are to come!
I hope that you were able to discuss the issue (either by print or word). Be strong. You have the strength to run miles and miles and miles. Know that you need fuel. I have faith in you.
Wow - look at that mileage. Just awesome. You're amazing.
I agree - print out your post and take it. Some things are just hard to talk about and face. I've been there. Having an ED rules your life. Running has really helped me recover, but it's always there a little in the back of your mind - nagging at you. You're on your way though. Such a HUGE step to even blog about it. *HUGS*
Post a Comment