Thursday, May 21, 2009

Sense of Relief

Let me start off by saying this blog will NOT turn into a pity party for me and my issues. But I felt the urge to follow up once more to my last two posts in the hopes it might help one of you who said you suffer from similar problems. I had my appointment today with the therapist and I don't know how they do it, or what they do, but I left there with such a sense of relief. I was a nervous wreck walking in there not knowing if I'd be able to talk about everything and walked out feeling like there's a light at the end of the tunnel. The appointment was emotional, draining and eye opening. Some things were said that I liked and some that I didn't like. But I was brutally honest with her and laid all my last secrets out on the table. It's funny, I haven't been to her in months but the sense of trust was still there. Overall, I feel we made some progress today. I'll be going back to her regularly for a little while and that in itself is very reassuring. This will be a battle I face forever, but I'm determined to fix some things and learn how to cope. So for all you out there, please consider talking to someone. You won't lose a thing by trying and it can make the biggest difference.

You all know how mortified I was to publish that original post, right? Well she asked what my shame level was on a scale of 1-5 at the end of the appointment. I told her that 3 days ago, it was an 9. Walking in to see her, a 6. Leaving the appointment, a 3. Right now, I'm feeling even better...

Andy is cooking dinner for me tonight while I'm out for my run. I can't wait to spend a quiet night at home with him and feel relaxed for the first time all week.

22 comments:

JenZen said...

SOOOO glad to hear it!! Wow - what an uplifting post and next step. Sending you HUGS!!

Unknown said...

Nothing to be ashamed of. Everyone has something that they are struggling with or avoiding talking about. It's airplanes with me. You are making forward progress and that is all that matters. Keep up the good work and that first post is still one of the most important posts I've ever read in the blogosphere.

Susan said...

I'm glad you're feeling better about everything, and I hope you enjoy your night!

Janice {Run Far} said...

um ya... I have been totally absent from the bloggy world and I just caught up on yours... You are my hero... nuf said.

ShutUpandRun said...

So glad to hear that the therapy session went well. If you went from a 9 to a 3 that's pretty good. We're all rooting for you! I agree with Chad, everyone has something they are struggling with, and you were just brave enough to admit it.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

you need to take care of you, because you deserve it... sounds like you're in good hands. Trust is huge, glad you have that with the therapist too, and are feeling better already. Stay strong, *hug*

RunningLaur said...

So happy that the meeting went well - like you said, it can be hard but it's definitely going to help. Enjoy a fun night at home!!

Felice Devine said...

Oh, that is sooo good. I'm really happy for you that you are taking control and doing this positive thing for yourself. It takes a lot of guts to do that. Looking inward is often one of the scariest places to look, but also one of the most important.

Thanks for posting the update. :-)

Elisabeth said...

Wasn't there some kind of line in the Godfather about 'Going To The Mattresses'? I think THAT is what you did today ;)

Kick A$$ girl!!

Amber said...

Hey Denise,

That's AWESOME that it went so well and you were feeling so much better when you left there.

I was wondering if you'd be willing to leave me a comment with your email so I can send you a private message :-)

Thanks, talk soon!

X-Country2 said...

Sounds like you have a great leader on your journey. Keep Andy in the loop too. No one loves you more than him. :o)

Jamie said...

I'm glad the appointment went well and you are feeling better!

Abby said...

Glad to hear things went so well!

Hope you guys had a nice dinner :)

raulgonemobile said...

That's awesome.. (well, not the issue, obviously). I'm glad things went well at the appointment and that you are feeling better about the whole thing. The blogosphere has got your back, girl.

BTW, I'm SOOO jealous you went to Dogfish head.. they have some of my favorite beers there. I know you're not an IPA girl, but that 90 minute IPA.. mm mmm good

Marlene said...

Soooo glad the appointment went well and you are feeling better.

Hope you enjoyed your relaxing evening at home.

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

Thanks for following up...I am sooo glad to hear that it helped...guess that is why they call them professionals.. All the best in your journey to overcome..

Cyndi said...

I'm catching up on reading and first of all, I am so impressed with your bravery in posting about this and am so happy that you are taking steps to address it.

But just as importantly, I hope you know how many people you've probably touched and therefore affected somehow just by sharing this piece of your life. In just these few days alone, there are probably many others who read this and found the courage to face their own problems with food and perhaps decided to go for help.

I've had a wierd relationship with food my whole life, and even when I went to therapy for 'something else' years ago, I never once addressed the food piece, not even thinking it was at all related, and too embarrassed to even bring it up.

So good for you and your life is going to get even better now, and I suspect you've helped others too, indirectly, and THAT is pretty damn cool!

kristen said...

I'm glad your feeling so uplifted. Your awesome!

chris mcpeake said...

keep fighting the good fight nothing to be ashamed of. Enjoy your running

Aron said...

I am so glad you are feeling so much better!! keep it up girl, you are on the right path :)

N.D. said...

THat's great you are feeling better. It always helps to talk to someone!

kilax said...

I am so happy it went well and she was able to make you feel better. I started looking into therapists this week. I think I need help outside of myself. I am just not sure if i can afford it!