Sunday, May 17, 2009

28 in 24!!

After my fabulous 18 miler on Friday, I ran a bunch of errands with Andy and got us ready for our little weekend getaway. But before we could hit the road on Saturday, I had to get my second long run done. I headed out around 5:30am and went to a local park which has a one mile gravel path. Going round and round for 10 miles didn't sound ideal, but Coach Jack told me it would help build the mental toughness I'm going to need for the Ultra in July. For the Ultra, I'll be running a 8.4 mile loop...6 times. Since I'm all about mental toughness, I got started. I was pretty sore/stiff the first half mile but after that I loosened up and felt great. After 5 miles I turned around and ran the loop in the other direction to change things up. Surprisingly, the repeated loops didn't bother me at all and I had a great run. There definitely is something to this 5:1 run/walk ratio. At the end of the run I felt incredible and could have done more. BUT having run 28 miles in under 24 hours, I was ready for some fun!!

After the run I showered up and we hit the road to head to Rehoboth Beach for an overnight with some friends. The weather was perfect and it was just great to see the beach! I love being back on the east coast because in just a short drive you can have your feet in the sand!! We tooled around the local shops, stopping in a few places for a beer and then headed out to dinner at Dogfish Head Brewery. We were up early this morning for a little walk in the quiet town and then we headed home. Today is my first rest day in 12 days and I'm about to go take my second nap for the day. Need to take full advantage of this! Here are a few pics from the night.

Me and KT

Frat Boy, KT, me and Andy
(of course, I'm drinking champagne!)
A sunburned, bald, Pimp Daddy

10 comments:

Unknown said...

You are doing so great with your ultra training! I suck at loops, so you've inspired me to try to work on that mental toughness aspect of running. Great pics, it looks like you guys had a wonderful time!!

Trishie said...

That's a whole lot of miles in 24 hrs. nice training :)

Mel-2nd Chances said...

well deserved nap! Looks like you have a fun time, and great job on the run!

Jeanette said...

Looks like you had fun! When you said "28 in 24", I thought you meant 28 drinks in 24 hours :) Oh wait, that was the old Denise!!!

Felice Devine said...

Awesome! I'm sure running the loops now will really help prepare you for running them in the ultra. Way to go!

Looks like you had a lot of fun! Yay!

FLYERS26 said...

Wow! that's a great job of running a lot of miles in a short period of time!
Great thought of reversing the course.

Abby said...

Wow, way to go! If you can do 28 in 24 with an actual life in between, imagine what you'll be able to do during the race!

Brooke said...

wow...makes me tired! Cute shirt, by the way!

Unknown said...

Nice job with the back-to-back long runs. It sounds like your training is going so well.

Amber said...

Great pictures and good job on running that loop 10 times! I am not a fan of repetition like that so I don't know if I could do it!!