Tuesday, May 5, 2009

First Ultra Training Run

I just got back from my first Ultra training run. It was really different. Since it's not realistic to run all 50 miles on race day, training involves run/walk intervals. Today I ran 6 miles and every 5 minutes, I walked 1 minute very fast. Pretty much as fast as I could walk without breaking into a run. The first walk session was really weird. My shins hurt and I felt like I was walking like a robot. Once I started running again, it felt so much better. But each walk session got more comfortable and I have to say, I felt great after the run. I thought it would be a long 6 miles but it actually went so fast. On top of the walking, I was suppose to average a 9:45 pace, including the walking. It's still hard to keep a slower pace but I'm doing what I'm told and hoping I see the benefits of training in my fat burning zone!!

My 16 miler on Saturday will be run the same way with the 5:1 run:walk ratio. I'm really curious to see how I feel after that one.

Ok, that's all...have a good night!

23 comments:

Unknown said...

I found with my first 24-hour race that you really do need to practice the walking part of a run-walk strategy just as much as the running. Otherwise the walking will actually hurt more.

Oh, and keep in mind that a 9:45 average per mile pace for 24-hours would break the American Women's 24-hour record set by Pam Reed of a little over 148 miles.

Honestly, there really is no possible way to anticipate what will work and what won't in a 24-hour until you do one. It really is jumping off into the unknown. That's actually the really cool part of ultrarunning - your just don't know what you will be able to do on any given day. It's not like marathons where you can prepare for a specific pace and just execute it on race day. It's a crapshoot, even for the best in the world.

Just get as much time on your feet as you can. A buddy of mine actually stood at his desk at work for 9 hours a day in preparation for his first 24-hour and managed to finish 100k.

Marlene said...

I hadn't thought of incorporating the walking. I can see how it would feel uncomfortable and unnatural, but I guess that's why you're practicing now!

FLYERS26 said...

wow.. that so against what we as runners do!
it sounds really hard!

Trishie said...

I don't know a whole lot about Ultras personally, but from what I've heard you should use the walk breaks as just that: breaks. Pushing it to walk as fast as you can kind of defeats the purpose of the break!

Abby said...

I'm looking forward to reading all about your experiences during training as I start thinking about plans for a fall ultra!

RunningLaur said...

I think some of the best advice I ever heard about running was that it's ok to walk - especially when starting out or going for distances.

Can't wait to hear where all of the training takes you - I have this feeling that you're going to be stupendous.

Rookie on the Run said...

I don't know much about Ultra runs. In fact, I don't know anything except that they're long.

You are amazing!

Jamie said...

Congrats on your first day of ultra training! I'm looking forward to reading about this new adventure!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Can't wait to follow your journey to this ultra, i'm really excited for you!

NancyPants said...

Walking fast is hard!!! And it feels so unnatural for us runners.

Sounds like an interesting training session. I'll be looking forward to seeing the progress in your training.

joyRuN said...

Yay for the first day of ultra training! I should try the run/walk method - the rationale is sound, but by the time I start walking, it's too late.

Linda said...

I'm glad I stumbled across your blog. You're amazing!
Have you read the Dean Karnazes book about his running? Well, he runs a lot more than ultras, but I don't know what to call it except cross country running, literally. He runs across the States, one after another.

Casey said...

Wow, that is interesting! It's kinda like the Galloway Trianing Method except ultimately stretched out for two days! :D

Janice {Run Far} said...

my sister just ran her first 50 miler and is training for her first and she told me about how she walks up the hills, never runs up them. I thought that was interesting. Someday I hope to do an ultra... I need my kids to be bigger.

Julie D said...

I have been toying with the idea of doing an ultra for a while, but I don't know I'm ready yet! Great to know that there IS a training strategy.

Unknown said...

Congrats on getting your ultra training underway. I bet that is a bit of an adjustment to get used to the walk breaks, but definitely necessary!

Toni said...

That does sound hard to incorporate walk breaks. Before I started running I walked a lot and I found running was easier on my body, that's one of the reasons I started running. Good luck with your training, I think it's awesome you are going to do an ultra!

Being Robinson said...

I think it's amazing you are going to do an ultra, it's going to be so cool to watch all your training. I have no idea what it would be like! I'll live vicariously through you.

Iron Mike said...

Not sure if you spend all your time on pavement, but hitting grass or trails, during training and the race, will provide some foot preservation.

Otherwise, you're gonna kick butt, keep it up.

N.D. said...

thats neat, so it is 50 miles-when/where is it?

Cyndi said...

When I did an 8 mile run a few weeks ago, I decided to experiment with the Run/Walk ratio. I ran 4 and walked 1 all the way through. I felt SO great when I finished and never once felt like I was struggling. I took the walk even if I didn't feel I needed it.

The recovery was great and I was even stronger for my workouts the following week.

For my first half, I plan to run 5 mins, walk 1 for the first 5 or 6 miles at least, to save my strength for a strong finish!

BOBBI McCORMICK said...

hey girl I tottaly understand!!! I was so taken back by ashleys sweet responce, I too felt like There are so many other places people can be donating. I would love to run this race in honor of all the wonderful people that have been somehow inspired by my blog thank you for your comment you truly opened my eyes!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi there, You will definitely get used to the walking. It is pretty important to do the walking during your training. It actually wouldn't be bad to have a day where you just race walked instead of running.
It just works your legs differently and it will make you sore in different ways.
I would say that the most important aspect you can train on is hydration, calorie intake, and electrolytes.

YOu are awesome for venturing on into ultra land. Great job and keep it up.

run4change