Monday, June 1, 2009

Make Your Own Cereals

Making your own bars, granola, etc seems to be all the rage these days. Well, I recently was given the opportunity to make my own cereal, which is yet another great idea.

At My Way Cereal you get to design your own handcrafted, custom mixed all organic cereal. You start with the base and then add the fruit, nuts/seeds and something a little sweet, if you'd like. For my mix, I choose the multigrain harvest base with dates, cherries, raisins, almonds, coconut, peanuts, flax and cacao nibs. My mix was really good, but I actually didn't like it so much with milk. I preferred it as a topping to yogurt. I also learned that I really don't like cacao nibs. But don't worry, that didn't stop me from eating it. For a 1 cup serving, my mix had 200 calories, 5g fat, 4g protein and 8g fiber!
Another place to mix up your own cereal is at Me & Goji. It's the same basic premise as I mentioned above, picking organic ingredients to customize your cereal. However, I have to say, I liked this site a lot more! I thought there were a lot more options to choose from and the site was fun to use. My cereal had artisanal cereal, granola, chocolate chips, blueberries, raspberries, raisins, chia and almond. For 3/4 cup, my mix had 169 calories, 3.5g fat, 5.1g protein and 6.5g fiber. Unlike the mix above, I did like this cereal with milk..and straight from the container.
Of the two, I prefer Me & Goji over My Way Cereal. The only thing I would have changed is not getting so many little ingredients (i.e. chia seeds, flax). I enjoy my cereal dry, right out of the container, and it was a little messy to eat it that way with all the tiny pieces.


As for biscuits, I'm giving My Way Cereal 5 biscuits and Me & Goji 7 biscuits. While I thought it was fun to make my own cereal and they tasted good, I think they are a little pricey to incorporate as a staple into my diet.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Designer cereal huh? That may be a little too "high class" for me...I just stopped buying the bagged kind :)

Ronnie

Abby said...

Seriously, though, is it worth the price?

Abby said...

Ah, missed the last little bit of the post - looks like you answered my question :)

Mel-2nd Chances said...

interesting idea, doubt their up here yet, but would probably be a bit too pricey for me too. great review though!

RunningLaur said...

nice review! I've been intrigued by these, but I think they may be too expensive like you said. :(

Casey said...

I went to the site and saw you can even do your own nut butters! The site was having problems so I couldn't actually do it...but...it's probably better that way as it is a little pricey!

Anne said...

I love custom food mixes, and that mix looks great. It does seem pretty pricey, though.

Carl said...

Thanks for the review Denise and thanks to all of you for your comments!

one thing to keep in mind is the value for the price. Our capsules are 50 to 100% larger than convential cereal boxes.

we also have our guarantee that if you do not like your mix for any reason, we will happily send you a new one!

if you have any questions about [me] & goji or designing a mix that satisfies your taste and/or nutritional needs, contact me directly at carl@meandgoji.com

happy mixing!

carl

founder
[me] & goji

Marlene said...

That sounds like something I'd love to try. Like you, I prefer granole-like cereals dry or with yogurt.

JenZen said...

What a novel concept!! Cool idea - but yup - I'm not gonna pay designer prices for cereal. My generic granola does the trick. I had dried cranberries and slivered almonds to spice it up a bit.

raulgonemobile said...

Neat idea.. that cereal does look good too..

I'm with everyone, though.. the price. I buy store brand cereal. lol.

X-Country2 said...

I'm a sucker for cute packaging, and that makes my heart go pitter patter. :o)

Sarah said...

I'm so hungry right now. This is torture.

Norma said...

I heart Goji berries.