Sunday, June 14, 2009

I Ran An ULTRA!!

Well kids, although it wasn't a "race", I ran an Ultra this morning. I ran my first 50K, or 31.1 miles!! To get right to the point, I feel like a million bucks! I can't get over how great I felt during, and so far after, the run. Today's run really boosted my confidence and I feel like I'm ready for the 50 miles in month.

We started at 7am sharp and had a manned pit stop at mile 3 and our cars at mile 6. This is pretty close to what it's going to be on race day so it was great practice. The manned pit stop was STOCKED with food!! Peanut M&M's, boiled potatoes, teddy grahams, fig newtons, defizzed coke, Ensure, Red Bull, water, marshmallows, hamburgers, and I'm sure there was more that I'm forgetting. Worried about my stomach, I decided to stick with what has been working so I ate 50 calorie portions of pop tart, 100 calorie portions of peanut butter on bread, and sips of Ensure. To get some extra calories, I alternated water with an energy drink called Perpetuem on each 6 mile lap. Towards the end of the run I did try a boiled potato and let me tell you...it was delicious! Nice and salty, it was the perfect little treat. I also tried some of the defizzed coke on the last lap and it tasted SO good. I don't even like soda and it was hard to take little sips and only drink a little. I wanted to chug it! I'm really happy to report that everything I did today seemed to work with my stomach. I had no issues and aside from not being in the mood to eat right now, my stomach still feels fine. I did hit a point during the run where I did NOT want to eat so on those laps I opted for a few sips of Ensure rather than solid food.

The whole shebang, including pit stops, took just under 6 hours. The best part when it was all said and done, is that I could have kept going. My legs were tired but my body felt great. The toughest part for me was transitioning back into running after a short walk break. But once I got moving again, everything was fine.
Here's a pic of us after the run with our crew member, Susan. Dana brought medals for all of us!!

So now, I'm relaxing, wearing my new compression socks sent by Recovery Socks (I'll let you know how they work out). Check out these sexy socks!! I'm also sporting my Brooks Run Happy t-shirt...thought it was appropriate after such a great run today. Please ignore the hair...I just ran an Ultra! And the pose...I'm a runner, not a model.

50 comments:

Jeanette said...

Socks..cool. Hair...not too bad. But who the heck calls a boiled potato a "treat"???

Good job! You'll do great at the Ultra!

Anonymous said...

Congrats!!! sounds like a great experience. I knew you would do great your training has been inspirational!

Iron Mike said...

You're gonna earn another medal in about a month.
Great job.

Norma said...

DAMN!!!!!!! YOU ROCK!!!!!! Your happiness shines through my laptop screen in this post; what an AWESOME day for you! I am so very proud of you and I'm sending a huge virtual high-five your way!!! Great job!!! :)

Croughwell said...

Good job with the run today! I love my recovery socks but they need to get more colors! I ran my first half marathon today with a time of 1:47:29. I was very happy with my time.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

OMG!!! YOU ARE AWESOME! I'm so proud of you -- sounds like you did and are doing everything right. Congrats!! I'm so happy your stomach seemed better today, you were probably so right about the gels/beans, etc. Recover well and ♥ the socks!

courtney said...

All I can say is W-O-W!

RunningLaur said...

Ahhhh! Congratulations!!!! You're amazing!

The Great El Andyo! said...

You failed to mention the 5 star dining tha you'll be enjoyng tonight... But I'm proud of you!

Kelly said...

W.o.w. That is amazing! Congratulations! Love the socks.

Trishie said...

wow, congrats on a great run ! impressive :)

Unknown said...

Great Job!!!!! That is so awesome that you've worked to the point that you're able to go out and run over 30 miles!

And thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving that nice comment...sorry if I brought tears to your eyes :)

Ronnie

aNd! said...

Great job! That is awesome, totally impressed.

Being Robinson said...

you are amazing! great job! i can't wait for you to do that 50 miler, so incredible. it sounds like you will really be ready!

SuperDave said...

Dang, you are my hero
;)

RunToTheFinish said...

is it totally wrong to be jealous of you?! I'm going to recover and come run with you, seriously!

JojaJogger said...

Welcome to the Dark Side!

Anonymous said...

That is so awesome!! You are so awesome!! I would say awesome-er...but that isn't word.

PS- I would rather be an Ultra-runner, than a model :) You look great! Keep up the fantastic work!

Brian Carlson said...

That is AWESOME FANTASTIC!!!

joyRuN said...

Woohoo!! So freakin' awesome!!!!

But as tempting & fun as you make it, I think I'll stick with the 26.2 max ;)

Glad your belly behaved, & enjoy your recovery socks!

Abby said...

Way to go!

You are totally going to conquer the Kelly Drive loop next month.

Toni said...

Awesome! You are going to do great in your race!

Susan said...

Yay!! I'm glad you had such an awesome run. You're definitely going to be all set when next month rolls around!

Anne said...

Congrats! That's so awesome. And I love the pic of you rockin those socks :D

raulgonemobile said...

Awesome job! To feel that great during and afterward is just really cool!

Cassie said...

what an awesome accomplishment - and what awesome socks! congratulations - you will rock your ultra!

(ps thanks for stopping by my blog after bobbi's readers challenge... i've been so negligent with my comments!)

Marlene said...

You did it!!! Congratulations! And how awesome that you are feeling so good.

Cute pic - I'm amazed that you were able to stand up after that run!

X-Country2 said...

I totally thought about you this weekend. "This is NOTHING compared to the 30 miles Denise is doing!" :o)

Congrats on a HUGE accomplisment!

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

GREAT work!! I need a pair of those socks, AWESOME!!

Chic Runner said...

Holy greatness. That's amazing! Great job and I'm glad you feel so great after and ready for your 50 miler! Good thing it boosted your confidence. :) Hooray for a 50k! :)

Chic Runner said...

ps i love boiled potatoes. BOMB.

Kelli said...

You're too awesome!!! What a great run. BTW i heart Perpetuem!!

Jeri said...

holy crap you're a stud! way to go! :)

JenZen said...

SO AWESOME!! That's an amazing feat!!! I'm in awe. And I'm lovin' the pink compression socks (especially since I just posted about some too!) :)

Unknown said...

Nice work! That's great that you felt so good afterwards too. Love my recovery socks!

Jamie said...

Congrats!!! Fantastic job on the run! And I'm glad to hear nothing upset your stomach.

I have the exact same shirt and pink recovery socks. I absolutely love both!

Natalie D said...

Great job! I have the same socks, let us know what you think. Looks like you have a great group of support there!

Tammy said...

Yay! Congrats on breaking the 30 mile mark.

ShutUpandRun said...

Wow great job and impressive that you felt so good afterward...

Aron said...

so freaking awesome girl!!!! you are going to do AMAZING in your race!

Relentless Forward Commotion said...

AWESOME!!! what a great accomplishment! i can't wait to hear about the recovery socks, I've heard a lot of buzz about them...

Relentless Forward Commotion said...

OH and I wanted to let you know I am about to order the amphipod handheld, thanks for the tip! do you have the normal one or the mini one? I'm afraid the 20 oz might be too big...

Thomas Tan said...

Way to start your 1st ultra, congrats and well done. Here's to many more!

Felice Devine said...

I'm totally late but AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME!!! Great job!!!

Love the socks :-)

Relentless Forward Commotion said...

Thanks Denise! that's what I was worried about...seemed somewhat pointless to carry around 8 oz of water. I will order the larger one. Thanks again!

Eliza Returns said...

uber-congrats! :)

Chris Barber, SeriousRunning.com said...

I met another runner with compression socks just like yours the other day; however, she only had one on and thought it didn't look good. They were pink too so I said she should probably just wear white ones. Have her friends sign it for extra coolness.

Sarah said...

This is incredible!!! Congrats :) I love the sock picture!! And now i want to run one just for the food - but I won't! EVER.

Lori said...

Just catching up on my reading and saw your good news. You are amazing! That is so awesome!

I've been wearing leg sleeves and love them. They've helped me a lot. I'm interested to see how they are for you considering how much you run.

RoadBunner said...

I love the Brooks Run Happy campaign. I was eyeing that shirt you're wearing and also heard they had made running hats, too (but now you have to be lucky and win one).