Saturday, June 27, 2009

First 5K!!

My sister ran her first 5K this morning!! Over the winter when my family held a little weight loss challenge, my sister Jeanette started running a bit (note: it paid off! She won $200 AND lost 16 lbs!). Somewhere along the way I convinced her to run a 5K thinking she'd fall in love with running the way I have. More on that later. Since I'm not in racing mode with the Ultra training, I ran with Jeanette and was her water-carrying-pace-bunny and let me say, she did AMAZING!! Having not run a race before, I was really impressed with the effort she put in. It was a really warm, sunny morning and the race had quite a few big hills. But we plugged along and Jeanette finished strong at 33:03. As for my dream of her becoming a crazed runner, yea, I'm not so sure that is going to happen. She told me not only during the race but after as well that this was her first and last one. Oh well, I tried!!

I also have to say, it was a whole new experience for me running with Jeanette today. The times I've ran a 5K, I've run them hard and at my fastest. It was really cool taking my time and running at a slower pace. I saw what it took for people to finish and realized just how hard running actually is. It's not easy to run a 3 miles and I think being more of a distance runner these days, I sort of forgot that. There was a lot of determination out there today and I loved being with the newer runners who were giving it their all.

So while Jeanette isn't going to be a marathoner any time soon, I'm still SO proud of her!! She really pushed hard and gave it her all. Congrats Jeanette!! You did something that lots of people can't do and you should be so proud of yourself.

Here's a picture of me, Jeanette and her husband, Brad. Brad also ran this morning and did GREAT. He finished ~ 23:00. Not too shabby for his first 5K!


Jeanette sprinting to the finish (Note: this is the ONLY time I'll ever let you beat me, J!!)

21 comments:

Relentless Forward Commotion said...

how awesome! congrats Jeanette!!

Anne said...

Congrats Jeanette! She did a great job :) And Brad did awesome, too!

Jeanette said...

that is the saddest looking sprint I have ever seen! Thanks so much for your help and support :) I am really proud of myself, but still have no intention of ever doing it again!!! My right knee and hip are killing me :(
Very nice post by the way!

Susan said...

Congrats to Jeanette and Brad! How fun to run with her!

Unknown said...

That's awesome! Maybe I can convince her to do another one when I'm able to run my first 5k? Tell her not to worry because she'll probably have a couple of years to train :)

Ronnie

RunToTheFinish said...

what a great sister! i think this is how i'm going to tackle the first 1/2 marathon d is running with me

kilax said...

Congrats to Jeanette! How awesome that you ran with her. I love 5ks - so many people are so many different levels.

Are you sure you won't catch the running bug, Jeanette? ;)

Katie said...

Yay thats awesome! Congrats Jeanette! I can't wait till I run my first 5k.

The Lazy Triathlete said...

Great job being out there with her. I am sure she appreciated it.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

I'm sure we've all said 'never again' at some point, you never know, she may be back. Congrats to Jeanette, and awesome job inspiring the family :D

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

Very cool. Congrats. I plan to run slower 5K's with friends and family in the years to come. Racing vs. fun?? Working on that one...

X-Country2 said...

Congrats Jeanette! I've talked to quite a few people who say they are doing the Couch25K program, and I'm interested to see how many of them follow through and actually do it. Good for her!

Natalie D said...

That's great you ran with her! my sister said ONE AND DONE also, during and after the disney marathon but she's already looking into more races and did broad street!

montisse98 said...

Awesome job Jeanette! Looking forward to running my first 5K.

Anonymous said...

That's great! I can't imagine running that far. I think you're pretty awesome for running with her.
:)

Jamie said...

Congrats Jeanette! Everyone did a great job!

ShutUpandRun said...

Good for your sister! I love it when the family gets in the game.

Trishie said...

congrats to your sister! very cool !

Abby said...

Way to go, Jeanette!

Anonymous said...

AWESOME!!! And that is a GREAT time for a first race :)

Denise, I love that you acknowledge that running can be hard and that for some people 3 miles is a long way. When I first started, I used to think something was wrong with me because I struggled with even small distances. I think it is wonderful that you ran with your sister!

Ross said...

It is great perspective to notice the effort that all runners make regardless of their pace.

I am a mid to back of the pack runner and I am very inspired to see people putting themselves on the line.

It was nice of you to carry water for Jeanette and be her pace bunny.

Congrats to Jeanette. Hope maybe she will get bitten by the running bug :)