Things had been going so well with all the training that it was just a matter of time until I hit a rough spot. All week I had my 22 miler on the back of my mind and yesterday morning when I got up to run, I could tell it wasn't going to be good. I decided to run the 6 mile loop around the lake, which definitely isn't my favorite place to run. From the moment I started, I felt...off. Around mile 3 my blood sugar was acting up and I felt really spacey. Luckily I had some beans on me so I ate some of them, and hoped I didn't pay the price later with stomach issues. The first 6 miles felt like they would never end and I was contemplating throwing in the towel. The second loop went a little better and I started to feel optimistic about the last loop and a half. But things got worse, not better. By the time the last loop came around, I had NOTHING in me. My legs felt like bricks, my back was hurting, I was insanely thirsty, I was telling myself to quit, blah, blah. At one point I actually let out a groan/moan/whatever that noise was and found myself praying for a walk break. It just wasn't a pretty run, but I guess I was due for one of these. Running can be very humbling. I was on such a high after my 31 miler on Sunday and then yesterday put me back in my place. But no matter how bad it was, the important thing is that I got it done. There was no one out there pushing me to keep going. Just me and I did it. So although the run wasn't the best, I'm wee bit stronger for getting myself through it and know that will come in handy for the Ultra.
When I got home I took a monster ice bath and then put on the compression socks. I was feeling much better after a little laying around and got myself back out there this morning for a 7 miler. I can definitely tell training is catching up to me, but I'm going to keep chugging along...
I hope everyone has a great weekend. I'm packing up for the Buffett show. We have a 4 car caravan leaving from my place in a little over an hour. Weather is looking a little scary, but I have no doubts we'll have fun regardless.
25 comments:
Wow, that is so amazing that you finished that super LONG run even though you weren't feeling it. Great job!
And I thought I had a bad run today. Similar to yours but mine was only 12 miles!
That is awesome. It is so hard to overcome suckiness during a run so you should be proud! I am usually on an out and back so have no choice on my long runs, but you had the option to quit and didn't. Good work! I am going to be looking to you for inspiration when I start marathon training.
It's SF. Even bad runs are good runs. You learn from them and get stronger! WAY TO GO. Look at it as mental training. You kicked it's ass. This is what makes a STRONG runner! Congrats! <3 See you next weekend.
nice on pushing through, no doubt it will help during the ultra. that had to be rough. have fun at buffet, yeah that will be pretty much amazing!
Great job girl, you are such an inspiration with your running! Have fun at the Buffett show! We are big parrotheads over here in the Carolinas :)
We need these runs from time to time, don't we? It reminds us to be grateful for the good ones ;) Mine have mostly been like that this week too. I think it partially has to do with the heat.
I am happy you felt better later on in the day and could get in a good 7-miler! I hope you don't mean training is "catching up" with you in a bad way! Take care of yourself :)
Hey, just found your blog... so cool that you're training for an ultra, that's a dream of mine (but I refuse until I qualify for Boston. One goal at a time!).
The compression socks sound great, everyone seems to like them.
You said it, it's all about finishing! If you makes you feel any better, all your feelings reminded me of my .5 mile runs!
Keep chuggin!
Ronnie
I think those runs are SUPER important to mental toughness. Way to get it done. :o)
"Running can be very humbling."
You summed it up there completely. My longest distance to date was 10.2 miles and it was great! Every long run since then hasn't been able to compare. Yesterday, I barely made it through my 8 mile run...and I was fighting to the end, with brick legs, too! Congrats on all your accomplishments thus far...you're going to do great things!
Great job getting it in !
The bad runs make the good runs that much sweeter. Way to fight through 22 - that is amazing! Way to go!!!
Have fun at Buffet :)
They always happen to us all! Way to push through it. Buffett- so jealous! what lake is this you ran around?
Ya know, a few weeks ago you were talking about a mantra.
Did you find one?
Because this seems like a decent situation for it.
Seriously, way to go for pushing through such a crummy run - I'm sure the experience will come in handy during the race.
It's getting close!
So proud of you for pushing through from the get-go and completing your run. Hope you are enjoying your well-deserved fun today! :)
You have the right attitude about the run though - being able to push through the suck run will train you even more than the great 31 miler. If it were all fun and unicorns, everyone would do it - but you're one tough cookie! And Buffet's a pretty good reward.
Awesome job getting through it. On a run like that, it is SO hard not to quit. I'd say it made you a LOT stronger.
better to have that tough run out of the way with so that you can kick ass on ultra day :) great job getting it done though :)
Denise,
I had one of these runs the other day. I talked about it on my blog actually. Although I didn't go nearly as far as you did, my blood sugar suddenly dropped after a mile and a half and I had to walk back home. I almost had to call my husband and have him come get me because I didn't even know if I had the energy to walk back! This was supposed to be my long run and I was so mad and discouraged. I just made it back home, ate, blogged about it and decided that tomorrow would be a new day. I did my long run the next day and it was great! So, yeah you are right....we all have those days and they are bound to happen now and again. Congrats on your 31 miler!! I'm currently training for my first 1/2 marathon and reading your blog really inspires me to be a better runner and to keep at it every day!
Dayna (HopefulRunner)
Hey, saw the headline of this article & of course, thought of you: http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/food/articles/2009/06/22/athletes_resort_to_pickle_juice_and_other_odd_foods_to_boost_performance/?page=1
Check it out! Maybe some ideas/info you & your readers will find interesting. :)
Sometimes, in retrospect, the hardest runs are my favorite. I always feel so proud of myself when I push through. Good job on finishing...keep up the great work!
Superb job on pushing through.. that experience will only make you stronger.
Can't wait to hear about the show!
those runs can be SO HARD sometimes. but you pushed through and finished and thats the most important thing. awesome job!!
Post a Comment