Sunday, June 7, 2009

Saturday of Surprises!!

I woke up yesterday after having run a double the day before to head out for my scheduled 22 miler. I decided to run this at a one mile loop around a park near my house. With all the stomach issues lately, I wanted to make sure I had a bathroom close by and no matter where I would be on the loop, a bathroom would never be more than a half mile away. I mentioned it to my running buddy Lisa and she said she would swing by to do some laps with me. Since I do the 5:1 run/walk, I didn't think anyone would be interested in running with me so I was happy she was up for it. Well, Lisa did the coolest thing. She organized a bunch of visitors for me throughout my run! It was the best SURPRISE. Turns out almost all of our Reach the Beach team came to support me!! It was so cute...me and Dana (another lone ranger) leading the pack with all my peeps in tow. That meant so much to me. The running community is so supportive and I love the friends I have made. Here is a pic of some of us (more came and went throughout the run) and a pic of Dana and I on our last lap!



The next SURPRISE...I ran 24 miles instead of 22! Dana was actually suppose to run a marathon and couldn't due to work, so she was running 26.2 miles (yes, around a one mile loop!). She started a little before me and had 2 more to go when I hit 22 so I just tacked on another two loops to finish with her. I'm kicking myself for not going a little further to get the marathon in myself!

And finally, the last SURPRISE...NO STOMACH PROBLEMS! Did I finally figure this out??? I tested my theory and stayed away from beans/bloks, etc and once again, had no stomach issues. Throughout the run I ate one pop tart, 4oz Ensure and 2-100 calorie portions of peanut butter on bread. I also took 3 salt capsules throughout the run. I really needed a run without stomach problems. That has been stressing me out and I was beginning to wonder if I'd ever get through a run without feeling like I was going to die!

34 comments:

Anne said...

Aww, that's so wonderful! Runners really are a great group of people. Awesome run, and I'm so glad you didn't have any tummy problems :D

Casey said...

That is very nice of them! And so sweet! Congrats on your run!

Check out this race:
http://www.premierraces.com/lastchance/lastchance.html

I think you may be able to relate after your run!

Relentless Forward Commotion said...

Great job!! I'm just now starting my long runs again, but I'm going to try your pop tarts trick. I almost always have stomach issues from gu, blocks, etc.

kristen said...

Yay for no stomach issues. Sounds like you have an aweome team there to support you.

Great job on the run.

Unknown said...

eat surprise. Running friends are the best.

RunningLaur said...

you have the best friends ever!

ShutUpandRun said...

I cannot beleive you ran 24 miles! And great about the lack of stomach issues. Seems you might have figured this one out.

Susan said...

Wow! 24 miles! That's awesome that you had some many people come out to support you...and quite fantastic that the GI issues didn't show up!

Felice Devine said...

That is so awesome! What great friends.

Yay for no stomach issues -- that must be a relief.

Sandy said...

What a great story! 24 miles, huh? I thought I was doing well by putting in 10.2! You rock!

Sarah said...

Good job! Throwing in extra miles at that length! Holy wow!!

Natalie D said...

Great job! what an awesome thing to have all that support!

Elisabeth said...

What a great idea you had, running 1 mile loops- that way it doesn't seem as far. And what a great idea your friend had, all the visitors must have kept your mind busy!!

What a nice Saturday!

X-Country2 said...

That's awesome to have that kind of support! You really are a lucky lucky lady.

Jamie said...

That is so cool! What awesome, supportive friends! Great job on the 24 miles!!! And yay for no stomach problems!

Rookie on the Run said...

This post put a smile on my face! What a great group of friends you have. :D

I'm so glad your tummy didn't bother you on this run (24 miles!!). I hope it continues to behave.

That one mile loop looks like a pretty one! I guess it better be if you're going to go around it 24 times.

Great job!

Tammy said...

That was so sweet of them. I can't imagine 24 times around a 1 mile loop without company.

And, YAY for no stomach problems!

Jeri said...

wow what awesome support. I'm super jealous right now. and so glad you (fingers crossed) have gotten the stomach issues under control. great loooong run. :)

Being Robinson said...

wow what a great run, lots of buddies, no belly issues. that had to be a huge relief. and congrats on going 24, that is awesome.

CJ said...

That's some great running friends!

CJ

Emily said...

I'm glad to hear that your stomach issues subsided. I had been worried about mine too. I stopped taking my vitamins because I thought that might be part of it. You know what - they have somewhat stopped now. Who knows if its the vitamins. But dammit I need to start taking vitamins again...

But I regress - great job on a 24 mile run. Very impressive!!

robison52 said...

Great support group!! We're all an experiement of one, happy to hear you've discovered a diet that works for you...Sport Beans do work for me, maybe too much sugar for you.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Hmmm, maybe it is the beans/blocks that give you the stomach issues, hopefully you've figured it out! So sweet of the group to join you, support definitely helps during a long run! Have a great week.

Marlene said...

I think I have said this a thousand times, but I am just in awe of your mileage. Congrats on the 24-miler and YAY for so stummy problems.

What a nice surprise to have company on your run, too. Otherwise you may have gone insane running one mile loops!

raulgonemobile said...

Wow, what great friends!

A one mile loop, eh? That's pretty impressive.. shows a lot of mental toughness there. :)

Unknown said...

Those are a bunch of cool surprises! It's great that you had some company for your run.

Abby said...

Wow, that sounds great! Man, having such a great support system may be the only way I'd be able to get around a one mile track 24 times :)

Where is this mile loop?

RunToTheFinish said...

what a fantastic group that is amazing!! you are doing so great with training

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

What a great suprise!! And super that your stomach held out..

kilax said...

How awesome that she set that up for you! It must have made the race fly by!

Tyler said...

22 miles. I remember when I was training for my marathon. Those are long training runs, I basically had to plan my whole day around them. I never ran with a pack so I had to go out before hand and hide my water and good. Quite the painful experience!

Keep up the good work.

Toni said...

So sweet! That's great you had so many supporters. Glad to hear you didn't have any stomach problems.

Therese said...

Seems like your running is going better than ever!

Aron said...

that is SO awesome that they all came out!!! I love runners :)

YAY for the 24 miles AND the no stomach issues! sounds like it was a really great run!