Thursday, June 11, 2009

Here comes the BIGGIE

I got a few questions regarding the Chia seeds so I thought I'd answer them.
  • Yes, you eat them the way they are, or raw.
  • Not much of a taste...not as nutty as flax seed anyway. I've put a lot in my foods and can't really taste them. Best I can tell you is that they are not overwhelming.
  • No, they are not cheap but someone mentioned they found them in their health food store. I'm wondering what they paid...
  • Yes, they do look like bird food.
  • And no one asked this but I forgot to mention that if you spill some outside, they will in fact grow into chia grass. My first package came busted open and the little seeds spilled out of the box onto the front porch. We had a nice patch of chia grass until Andy sprayed weed killer on it. Murderer!

Now, onto the fun stuff...I have my 30 mile run this Sunday!! And believe it or not, I'm actually excited. I've never run further than 26.2 so I can't wait to see how this goes. We'll be running a 6 mile loop around a lake and we'll take a pit stop every 6 miles at our car to refill food, water, take care of issues, etc. Someone is also setting up an aid station for us on the other side of the lake, opposite our cars, so we have another pit stop. I think this is going to be great practice for race day. We're starting at 7am on Sunday and I expect to be gone close to 7 hours by the time it's all said and done. Seriously, I am SO excited!! Can't wait to tell you all about it!

Here is what I ran this week:

  • Mon - 7 mi
  • Tues - Off
  • Wed - 7 mi
  • Thurs - 5 mi
  • Fri - 9 mi
  • Sat - 5 mi
  • Sun - 30 mi

31 comments:

B.o.B. said...

Wow! You go girl. Just found your blog through another running blogger. I'll have to try those Chia seeds out. Can't wait to hear about the 30 miler!!!

RunningLaur said...

You'll be great on the 30 miler - it's barely a 5k further than your 26.2's. It sounds like you have a great set up planned for the run too. Have a great time!

Oh and I think you're a total liar for saying you were in a 9 year relationship - you look way too young and cute for that! :)

MOMMY-MOMO said...

I've been such a slacker this week. ugh! motivation...

Marlene said...

30 miles. Omg. Good luck and have fun! Based on your recent training, I have a feeling you're going to nail it!

Anne said...

Wow, I couldn't even fathom running 30 miles. I bet you'll do great though-- you're so well-trained! :D

Always Running said...

wow good luck! you sounds ready to tackle it so I'm sure you will. I haven't run any Philly races but I'd like to do the Philadelphia Half this November!

X-Country2 said...

You're going to do great! Hopefully the weather is just perfect. :o)

Julie D said...

Wow, good luck with the 30-miler! Wow (again)!

Unknown said...

Good luck with the 30 miles. I can't really even think of going that long right now.

Chic Runner said...

you will dominate the 30 miler. good luck!!! :) Also thanks for the info on the chia seeds! I will have to check those out as well :)

SuperDave said...

See what happens while I've been away. You became an ultra girl! Good luck this weekend. Can't wait to hear about it!

Anonymous said...

You are amazing! Goodluck and great planning for the 30 mile run. I can't wait to hear all about it!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

You're so amazing, and I love that you're excited about it!!! Looking forward to hearing about it, sounds like you have a great plan.

Felice Devine said...

Good for you! Let that excitement carry you through some of the miles. You'll do great! Can't wait to hear how it goes!

Anonymous said...

You're awesome. Seriously.

Unknown said...

Good luck with the big 30-miler! Can't wait to hear all about how it goes.

Abby said...

Good luck! Sounds like it's supposed to be a beautiful weekend.

Aron said...

ohhh this is so exciting :) you will do great!!!

courtney said...

Wow! You're amazing. I love how excited you are - can't wait to hear how it goes!!

RunToTheFinish said...

i tend to get excited for long runs too, it is sort of weird. you are going to do great with all the amazing weeks you've had!

kilax said...

The 30 miler is going to be great! I can't wait to read about it. It's a good idea to have a pit stop (or two) like that!

Croughwell said...

Wow 30 miles...I did 16 miles the other day and was feeling fine running but felt horrible the rest of the day... good luck with the run. I will be running in my first Half Marathon on Sunday.

Trishie said...

wow, have a great 30 miler !

kristen said...

Good luck. I can't wait to hear how well it went!!

Jamie said...

Have a fantastic 30! I'm sure you will do great! Sounds like the setup is great too and will get you ready for the big day.

Susan said...

I can't imagine doing much other than sleeping for seven hours straight! I'm excited to hear how it goes!

BOBBI McCORMICK said...

I so want to do one of those one day!!! GOOD LUCK DEAR you will do great!

Unknown said...

30 miles! That's awesome! I'm hoping to drive 30 miles without getting winded on Sunday!

Ronnie

Norma said...

The bag I got at my store is 12 ounces and cost $15. At a tablespoon or so a day it will last probably a month or so, I estimate? The brand is is Ultimate CHIA Life and the guy who owns the health food store raved about it as enthusiastically as you did! :) It claims to be "the richest known vegetable source of Omega-3, 3x the antioxidants of blueberries, more calcium than milk, more iron than spinach and is a better protein source than beans or soy." 1 tablespoon has 40 calories, 4g fat (mostly polyunsaturated), 5g carbs, 5g fiber, 2g protein, 76mg calcium and over 3000mg of Omega-3, -6 and -9 fatty acids combined. I just tend to think we absorb nutrition better from a food source than from a pill/supplement, so I'm on board for at least a bag to see if I feel a difference!

raulgonemobile said...

Awesome! Have fun this weekend with the 30!

robison52 said...

I recently discovered chia seeds from the book "Born to Run" and hope to try some soon.