Wednesday, June 3, 2009

National Running Day


Before this week, I didn't even know this day existed! But rest assured, I'll be heading out today to participate.

I was excited to start off June after such great running in May. It sounds like I'm going to hover around 60 miles a week for a few weeks, max out around 70 miles, then begin to taper. I can't believe we are less than 7 weeks until the Ultra. Honestly, I'm not so nervous about the run itself but more so about the logistics of race day and making sure I'm prepared with everything I need. Oh, and if you haven't run an Ultra before, um, these things aren't cheap. For one, you go through shoes like it's no body's business and there are all these other little things that I need. Needless to say, these little things are adding up!! Speaking of buying stuff...I just got a new pair of shoes. I went with the Asics Gel Nimbus 11. They have a much wider toe base than the Asics GT 2140 which hopefully will be better for my bunion and annoying blood blister. I took them for a test run the other night and after some mild shin discomfort in the beginning, they felt pretty good.
Here's my schedule for this week. Since we have plans for a music festival this Saturday, I wanted to have Sunday off from running. Therefore, I'll be doing a double on Friday to get the 10 miles in (5 before and after work).

Mon - 6 mi (5:1)
Tues - 7 mi
Wed - 6 mi (with some sharpening speed work)
Thurs - 7 mi
Fri - 10 mi (5:1)
Sat - 22 (5:1)
Sun - Off

24 comments:

RunningLaur said...

Happy National Running Day!

All the mileage on your shoes must be hard - hope the new ones work out well :)

MOMMY-MOMO said...

great running schedule! I wish i could run those distances. but home with a toddler and hate running with the jogger. hehe. i do what i can :) good luck!

Marlene said...

Happy NRD!

Denise, I am so impressed by how far you have come with your ultra training in a couple of short months. Look at the mileage!

ShutUpandRun said...

You are a stud!! You are the only blogger I follow who is training for an ultra and it is really exciting and inspiring...

kilax said...

I've been wanting to try those shoes! I have the old 2110's (I think).

Do you change your shoes during the ultra as well?

Anonymous said...

Wow- you are doing fantastic!! Great mileage :)

I didn't know it was National Running Day until yesterday. Of course I have biking and swimming on my agenda. For the sake of today being today though, I am going to run at least a mile!

Keep up the GREAT work!!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

you're a rockstar!

Jamie said...

I used to run in the Nimbus and liked them a lot. Hope they work out for you!

That's some intense mileage for the week!

Jeanette said...

yea! I ran on National Running Day!!!

PunkRockRunner said...

Wow! You're logging some serious miles. Love the blog and can't wait to read about your Ultra.

All the best!

Unknown said...

What's the Ultra? Sorry if this question is an absurd one!

Ronnie

Unknown said...

Thanks for the quick response!!! That is unbelievable! 50 miles? You're such a stud!

Ronnie

X-Country2 said...

I didn't know National Running Day existed either.

Love the new shoes. I just picked up another pair of Nimbus 10s, and I think I really like them. Tiem will tell how they hold up.

NY Wolve said...

Wow -- running 10 on Friday and then 22 on Saturday. That is something. When I get tired after my 10, I'll think of you ...

raulgonemobile said...

Wow, it really is coming up pretty quick, isn't it? You've been doing great!

joyRuN said...

10 miles heading into 22! Your legs won't even know the meaning of "tired" :)

Janice {Run Far} said...

I have never topped 40 miles a week... of course I only do marathons, not ultras.
I have a friend here in town that runs (not sure why we dont run together, we both like our alone time I guess) she doesn't do races at all/ever. But she logs 60 miles a week, for fun... that is dedication. I have to have something to look forward to. my sister is running her 2nd 50 miler this sat in Utah, someday I hope to complete one.

Susan said...

Happy Running Day! I heard that the Asics 2000 series is the best selling shoe in all running shoes, so they must be doing something right!

10 miles then 22?? That's a lottt of miles!

Relentless Forward Commotion said...

Happy National Running Day! I aspire to have your weekly mileage :)

Abby said...

Happy NRD! Good to know about the costs of the ultra - didn't quite think about that part of it!

Lauren@ Not Your Average Southern Belle said...

I love your blog... home remodeling and running? A girl after my own heart :)

Chris Barber, SeriousRunning.com said...

I like the idea of a double on one day in order to enjoy a social event. I think being flexible in your running schedule gives you a better chance of accomplishing your goals and sticking to it. Good job!

Julie D said...

Hope your ultra training is going well! Your poor shoes don't know what hit 'em!

LarryB said...

My wife uses the Asics Gel Kayano 14 and it has a wider toe area as well. I run with the men's and I'm pretty happy with it.