I survived Ultra training! We capped off weeks of training yesterday with our last 31 mile training run. I had been feeling a little down during my runs all last week and told Andy as I was heading out the door that I really needed this run to go well. Thankfully, it went great! Once again, I felt like a million bucks and could have kept going when we finished. The weather even cooperated and the sun was shining for the whole run. Now I know the heat we had yesterday isn't anything compared to what we could potentially have in July, but it was a good test and I felt fine running in it. When I was driving home after the run, I started to feel really sad. I'm sad the training is over. I REALLY enjoyed the training and although the back to back long runs took up a lot of my weekend, I enjoyed them so much. I got to run with some incredible people on these runs and I'm going to miss spending hours at a time with these guys.
So the taper starts today. I'll be going from the upper 60's to somewhere in the 40 miles a week range. Funny that this taper is about where I maxed out my mileage for the Philly marathon. The next 3 weeks are all about health for me. Nothing bad is going in this body and I'm making only healthy choices. I want to go into race day feeling my best. I know the taper isn't the time to lose weight but I gained 5 lbs through this training and I'm going to work on taking it off over the next 3 weeks. Now that I know what I'm eating on race day, I don't have to spend my long runs shoving my face! To also help get back on track, I started food blogging again to keep track of what I'm eating. We'll see how it goes.
I'm feeling pretty good this morning aside from super sore feet. I'm wondering if it's the new Asic nimbus. I switched my shoes half way through the run yesterday and my feet started hurting towards the end while I had the nimbus on. This morning I woke up and the first few steps I took were brutal. I'm going to test these on the long runs I have left but I might think twice about wearing them on race day. The rest of me feels fine, though. Legs, butt, etc...all good!
I'm going into the taper feeling great, which is what Coach Jack wanted. Because of him, training went so well, I feel so prepared, and I can't wait for race day.
29 comments:
Sounds like your training has been great, congrats! I can't imagine running 31 miles and you make it sound so easy.
It's been awesome keeping dibs on your training, I can't wait for the race report in a few weeks! You are going to do great girl!!!
I'm glad your training went so well!
You are going to have a great race!
Congratulations!
It'll be so exciting to be able to look back at your hard work and know that you really earned this ultra!
Congratulations on completing (and rocking) your training! Here's hoping for a happy, healthy taper.
so gld it went well! great job!
Congrats on surviving the training, with flying colors!! Amazing Try to enjoy the taper... :D
Glad you felt so strong on your run and sounds like this whole experience has been so amazing for you. I'm just curious - on a 31 mile run what kind of pace do you keep?
I don't know how you do it. Great job on the training.
I don't know how you do it. Great job on the training.
GOOD WORK!! I know you have a coach so I am not sure what his plan is for Taper. But I tapered way too much and I think it hurt me for my Marathon. Just something to think about. Enjoy the well deserved rest..
Awesome job on the training and congrats on a fantastic 31! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your training so much. Enjoy the taper!
I would feel sad about taper time too! It's hard to cut back. But, you can focus on eating healthy and RESTING!!! :) Good luck!
Congrats on your awesome training! It has been fun (and inspiring) to follow and I can't wait for you to rock your ultra!
Maybe one of these weeks I can match your tapered down mileage?
Ronnie
YAY so glad you had such a great last run!!!! enjoy your taper and cannot wait for your big race!
Every time I read that you've loved a 31 mile run (or similar length), it just puts a smile on my face. It's great that your training has gone so well!
Good luck with the taper!
So glad you made it through! I couldn't have done that. I can't wait to see your final recap and taper!!! I can't wait till you run the ultra! yay!
wow what a great attitude! i can't wait for your race, it's all just very exciting!! you had a great coach, which I am sure made the experience even better
Congrats on making it to taper! That is some serious mileage!!
So so cool. You did it! The training is the hard part, right? The race is just gravy.
Let the taper madness begin! I love when a 40 mile week is a cutback...crazy!
Exciting! Great work! I can't wait for the race report.
Awesome job! Congrats!
That training has gone by so quickly. I can't believe you did all that in such a short period of time. Good luck with the home stretch. Can't wait to hear how taper maddness goes. ;o)
Congratulations! You're so gonna rock on race day!!
31 miles. Wow!
Sounds like you did more than just survive your ultra training! You're going to rock this!!
Congrats on making it through!! That is impressive in itself! Whoo hoo :)
Post a Comment