Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Tank is Empty

I'm disappointed in myself. I didn't run my scheduled 6 miles last night. I got home from work and it took too much effort to even make it upstairs to get changed. I just had nothing in the tank. It bothered me all night that I didn't get out there, but I just couldn't. I never miss a run unless I know for sure I can make up the mileage later in the week. Unfortunately, I'm running every day this week and have the Broad Street 10 miler on Sunday so there is no time to make up that lost mileage.

I woke up today feeling equally as lousy. Not sure why I'm so beat up. I have 4 miles scheduled for today and I just emailed Coach Jack to see if I should add on to any of my runs or just forget about last night's missed run. I have plans to meet up with a friend to run tonight so I'll definitely get out there, but I have to say, laying around sounds more appealing.

25 comments:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

sorry you missed the run, but sounds like your body is craving a little rest. Hope you're back to 100% soon :)

Marlene said...

Don't be too hard on yourself (easier said tha done, I know). Sometimes you just don't have it in you and that's okay. I'd be worried that you'll wear yourself out too much trying to make it up this week, especially with a race on the weekend. I'll be interested to hear what your coach says.

ShutUpandRun said...

Some days are just like that. You just cannot do it. Maybe your mind, soul and body needed a rest. Don't beat yourself up. Your next run will be stronger for it.

X-Country2 said...

You body is certainly craving some rest. 6 miles is not that much in the grand sceme of things.

Amber said...

I know just how you feel. I get so mad at myself when I miss runs.

Don't beat yourself up too much over it though! Those things happen!

Carly said...

I agree with the others....don't be so hard on yourself and take a break. Listen to the bod!

RunToTheFinish said...

everyone has already said it...so I'll just say ditto :)

Abby said...

Sounds like a smart decision not to run if you were feeling that way.

Try to leave it behind and look toward a great run this weekend! I'm disappointed to be missing Broad Street this year.

Tammy said...

Yeah, I agree with everybody else.

I only wish that I let missed runs get to me. I missed almost 100 miles of my marathon training over 16 weeks. That's 6 miles a week.

aNd! said...

Like the new look of the page. Some days you just have to listen to your body.

Unknown said...

If you are really feeling fatigued, the best thing you can do for your training is to get rest. Forcing workouts when you are physically tired will not produce any training gains, it will only set you further back. That's why people taper before a big race - so they can perform their best. It's not a sign of weakness to get the rest your body needs, it is a sign of smart training.

raulgonemobile said...

I'm with everyone.. you need a break once in a while. If your running schedule is full for the rest of the week, I really wouldn't feel too bad about 6 miles.

Kelli said...

First off I like the new look! Second, I think we all go through these run funks but it really could be your body just saying it needs a little break.

FLYERS26 said...

Missing a run, while it pisses us off, in the grand scheme of things, it's not bad.
Sometimes rest is best!

joyRuN said...

Don't be hard on yourself, girl. Sometimes the body just NEEDS a break.

Emily said...

I know how you feel - i hate missing runs. Well, I still do it, but I feel so guilty about it. The advice/direction I've gotten from my coach is to just move on. Was it an important run? If so maybe he can switch things around to accommodate it. If not, just don't worry about. We all need the rest sometimes.

Natalie D said...

don't be hard on yourself. Listen to your body. YOu are working hard!
like the new blog look!

Trishie said...

Plans aren't one size fits all -- even if it was custom made for you! I know how you feel, but sometimes the body is begging for a rest and you need to give it one.

Really pushing it when your body says ENOUGH can lead to physical and emotional burnout.

Leslie said...

Hey! I have never done the Broad Street run before. This is my first 10 mile race. I am doing the Zooma Half Marathon in Annapolis at the end of the month, so this race is helping me for that. I also want to do some other half marathons if all goes well at Zooma.

As far as missing your run tonight, don't be to hard on yourself. Listen to your body, and all will be ok! :)

Yay for racing this Sunday!

Laura said...

I agree with everyone else...sometimes a break is needed both mentally and physically.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for changing the background on the blog...I was due for a change.

Sarah said...

I say - sometimes you just need a break!

I Run for Fun said...

I know that feeling. But don't take it out on yourself...you have a race coming up, so a couple of miles less only means you'll have fresher legs.

Anonymous said...

Glad you ran with that "friend!" aka ME!!! -Erica

Anonymous said...

I know it sucks to miss a run, but sometimes it is needed. It is better to miss one run rather than get sick or injured and miss one month of running.