Tuesday, April 7, 2009

How We Got Here

I apologize for the non-running related post, but this is our last week in the apartment and I've been reminiscing a lot about how we got here. To recap, 2 years ago I drug Andy kicking and screaming (not really, he was more than willing to move) from Michigan back to my home state of Pennsylvania. I had moved to MI 3.5 years prior after doing the long distance dating thing so Andy and I could start our life together. I never felt at home while I was living in MI. In fact, the entire time I lived there, I never referred to MI as "home." When I left PA in October 2003, I left not only my family, which I'm so close with, but a great group of friends and a job I loved. Before I even arrived, MI had the odds stacked against it. Don't get me wrong, I was happy in MI, but it wasn't the place for me. I knew I could stay there and make it work because after all, all I wanted was to be with Andy. I never once mentioned wanting to move back to PA.

I ended up landing a job at a very large pharmaceutical company and while I didn't like my job, I dealt with it. About 9 months after I moved to MI, Andy and I got married (on the beach in Jamaica!!), and Andy started grad school for his MBA. It was a trying time. He would get home from a full day at work and go straight to the books. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a long 2 years and that I wasn't lonely. But Andy made as much time as he could for us and about half way through his schooling, we decided to sell our town house and build a single home. The whole time I had an unsettling feeling and never really got into the details of the house. I could not stop feeling that the house was going to be too big and lonely for us. I always imagined my house filled with my crazy family, being loud, laughing, and having cocktails, of course. Sensing my uneasiness, Andy asked me out of the blue one day, "Do you want to move back to Philly?" Shocked, I began to cry and said "are you serious?". He hugged me and said, "let's do it."

The following weekend we pulled the plug on the new house and licked our financial wounds caused by our lost down payment. From there, we knew we had a struggle in front of us...finding jobs in the not so great economy and on top of it, Andy was switching careers. It never seemed real that we were moving back to PA until the day Andy got an offer. Figuring it'd be more difficult for him to find work, I held off on looking for something until we knew it was a done deal that we were moving. I'll never forget the day we found out he got a job. We had just landed after a week vacation in Punta Cana and Andy checked his voicemail. There were 2 messages from the HR person where he had just interviewed prior to our vacation. TWO! This had to be good!! We could not wait to get off the plane so Andy could call him back. It was also Valentine's day, our engagement anniversary!! Anyway, after what seemed like an eternity while Andy talked on the phone, he finally gave me the thumbs up. He got the job!! I once again, started crying. A huge weight was lifted, this was actually going to happen, I was moving home!! I was barely in the door before I was calling everyone I knew telling them the good news. I remember sitting on the kitchen floor talking to my mom, both of us in tears!! It must run in the family!

This news could not have come at a better time as the company I was working for announced the site was closing down. Yes, I was Pfired (anyone else??). Once Andy got his letter in the mail, I requested to be let go in the first lay off wave so we could move on. I was granted my wish and 2.5 weeks later, cats in tow, we were on our way home!

We rented an apartment for what we thought would be a temporary situation until we sold our townhouse in MI. I was unemployed for several months and it was starting to get really depressing. In August 2007 I accepted an offer back at the company I was at before I left for MI. Remember, the job I loved? Yes, I was going back there! Turns out this is also where Andy landed a job. This could not have worked out better...a personal chaffuer to take me in every day! Things were looking up, just had to sell the house in MI. Which we finally did after drastcially reducing the price a year and half after we moved to PA. Our "temporary" situation ended up lasting 2 years, with still unpacked boxes to show for it!

But today, we're counting down the days until we move into our new house this Saturday. It's been a crazy few years of being unsettled, but in the end, it's all been so worth it. Andy has made a home out here in PA and our relationship could not be better. We've been put to the test a few times and every single time we come out on top. We make such a great team and I can not wait to see what's in store for us next.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
click here for my first GIVEAWAY!!

26 comments:

Aron said...

ohhh such a great post :) i am SO HAPPY for you two!!!

Chic Runner said...

Love the post. :) So glad everything worked out and I'm glad you are getting your new home this weekend. Congrats!

Run Sarah said...

thanks for sharing...glad everything is working out for you!

Susan said...

What a great story...goes to show that everything works out as it should!

It also helps to ease my fears about moving away from home to be with my boyfriend...moving away from my family will be so difficult.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

You two sound like such an awesome team! Good luck with the move, and so happy you're "home!" :D

Jess said...

Thanks for sharing! I'm so happy you are finally getting to move into your new house! Good luck with the move!

SuperDave said...

It sounds like Andy is "one fine young man!"
It is always risky to take a job over the phone without actually scoping the place out. Again good man.
Love does make the world go around or at least you both do.
Very happy for you both that things are settling down.
:)

joyRuN said...

An excellent post in having faith that everything works out the way it's supposed to, no matter how muddy the journey may seem!

Sarah said...

Oh - great post! I'm glad you shared this. . . living somewhere you don't love is difficult. It shows how much you guys love each other to make it though. Inspiring :)

Rookie on the Run said...

What a great story! You are an awesome wife and your husband, a great man. No wonder you two are able to come out on top with every trial.

Congrats on your new home! Enjoy this time!! :)

Abby said...

What a great story - thanks for sharing!

Good luck with the move this weekend, and congratulations on finding your way back home!

Carly said...

What a nice story. Sounds like things are working out well. Congrats on the new house!

RunningLaur said...

What a great story - so glad you're happy now!

Felice Devine said...

Love how it worked out. It is nice when you are part of a "team." Good luck with the move!!!

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

Congrats on the new house!!

Amazing how things find a way of working out. Marriage is about finding a way when the path may appear to be blocked.

Mel

Marlene said...

Awww, what a great story with a happy ending! Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

So weird- I almost moved to MI with a boyfriend about 8 years ago for his job...it didn't pan out, mostly because I couldn't imagine being so far away. I am so glad it DID work out for you!! How exciting!!!! Good luck with the move and congrats :)

Running Through Life said...

What a great story with a happy ending. Congratulations!

Unknown said...

That's a wonderful story...

...and I love a happy ending. :-)

raulgonemobile said...

Hey, congrats! Glad it all worked out for you. (Sounds like the two of you would have made it work no matter what happened, though)

Enjoy the house!

kristen said...

I know this story very well. I had the same feelings when I moved to Virginia to be with my hubby after a year of long distance. I never felt at home and to make it worse - he was gone half the year. Too lonely. Life's too short. Everything always works out doesn't it.

I can't wait to see more pics of the new house.

RunToTheFinish said...

ahh the first time living together...buying a house..all such good stuff

X-Country2 said...

This post almost made me cry. :o)

Sara said...

Great post :) I am so happy that you are getting to move back home!! Congrats and best wishes!!

lmparrillo said...

I would use it as a power snack. I spend 15 hours a day studying and there isn't anything like granola to get you through that!

N.D. said...

aww.. just went back to read this. What a great story, so glad you were able to move back to PA> sounds like we had a similar situation! I followed Bill to NJ for 3 years right after college. WHen we got married, I wanted to be near my family, so we moved back to PA right before our wedding and have been here since. I Hated Jersey!! are your i-l's from MI? When I go up to my il's house I am on my computer the WHOLE TIME...or out doing very long runs.