Thursday, April 9, 2009

TIaRT - Running Technology

This week's theme for TIaRT is running technology tips. I wasn't going to post, because I really don't have any tips, but you all know I can't keep my thoughts to myself. I'm really not into technology, of any sorts. It doesn't interest me and sort of overwhelms me. Now, I do own a Garmin, but that's the only thing aside from an on line running log that I use in terms of technology when it comes to running. When I bought the Garmin, I HAD TO HAVE the heart rate monitor, so I bought the 305. I rarely use the darn thing and when I do, I do nothing constructive with the information it provides except wonder if I'm really dead. My resting heart rate is in the low 40s and during my 16 miler last weekend my average bpm was in the low 90s. Now, needless to say, I wasn't running fast since it was a long run, but still, I was putting some effort into it. Yesterday during my 4 miler I averaged a bpm of 120, so at least I know my heart can beat when it needs to. Hmm, just had an idea. Maybe I'll wear my heart rate monitor during all sorts of activities (wink, wink) and see which one really gets my heart rate up!

I've had a good week of running so far. I say so far because I woke up with a sore throat today, thanks to germy Andy. Perfect timing for the move this weekend. This week's schedule actually calls for 7 days of running *if* I can get some runs in on Saturday and Sunday around the move.

Mon - 4 mi
Tues - 6 mi
Wed - 4 mi
Thurs - 3 mi
Fri - 15 mi
Sat - off or 3 mi
Sun - off or 2 mi

I'm hoping to get all 7 days in, but considering there will champagne on moving day, the Sunday run might not happen. However, I was able to run the New Orleans half marathon after some bubbly so I should be able to knock out 2 miles.

Also, don't forget about my GIVEAWAY. Contest ends on Saturday!

12 comments:

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

Wow 7 days of running!! What training schedule are you using? No rest?

I have a LOW resting heart rate too, the nurse once told me it is because I am "Fit." I took that as a compliment. She said as long as I don't feel like I am going to pass out I am OK. Hmmm??

Good luck with the MOVE! Champagne, YUM!!

Mel

Felice Devine said...

I hope the sore throat is just a passing thing. Good luck with the move (and the 15-miler).

Rookie on the Run said...

Ha ha! I'm sure your hubby won't mind trying out your heart rate during, uh... "other activities".

Enjoy your move & the Champagne!

Aron said...

garmin is my favorite piece of technology too :)

great job on the week! hope the move goes well this weekend!

X-Country2 said...

Another great week! Good luck with teh move.

Being Robinson said...

You are hardcore, especially during a moving week. Congrats on the move by the way!

Susan said...

Haha, you'll have to let us know about the heart rate monitor if you use it during...other activities. That would be hilarious!

Good luck with the move! Yay!

Lauren @ mostly i run said...

I just knew I wouldn't use a heart monitor, so I went with the cheaper version. But I'm Garmin addict!

Hope the move goes well!

Tammy said...

I don't really use my Garmin to its full potential either. I pretty much watch it during my run, but I rarely hook it up to the 'puter and look at all the data.

Good luck with the move!

raulgonemobile said...

LOL.. funny

Yeah, I don't use the heart rate monitor either. Nice tool, discarded to the side. Oh well

Cool Down Runner said...

Guys, you are missing out on what the Garmin provides.

Because I have a Garmin, I no longer have measured training routes. I just turn on my Garmin and run. When I am close to my desired distance for the day, I turn for home. It gives you the chance to explore new places on the run and helps keep things interesting.

As for the heart monitor, there is a ton of stuff that it tells you but two the most important are when you are pushing near your max heart rate and when you body is warmed up and ready for a a hard workout.

Try tracking a few runs and then uploading the results in the Garmin Training Center. Check out the heart rate and pace (also it automatically records the splits) and see if you are going out to fast on your runs or not going fast enough. :)

Natalie D said...

I hear ya about the technology! Its cool you have a garmin now Awesome runs.