Monday, February 2, 2009

New Orleans Half Marathon Race Report

Well, here it is...my NO race report. Let me start off by saying that NO is so adorable. I'm really happy we made the trip down here and will definitely return.

Now as for the race, I have to say I was a little disappointed. My disappointment started with the Expo, which I thought was pretty lame. As for the race, I thought it was so boring. There was very little spectator support and the route was nothing spectacular. We did run down Bourbon Street, which was fun but once we crossed Poydras Street it was a really boring out and back. On the turn around, we ran through a park, which I needed at that point because I was really getting tired of the mundane, straight line run down St. Charles Street. I was hoping for a little bit more culture along the course (live music, etc) but there was nothing like that.

As for my run, well, I didn't PR. My time was 1:47:23 and I needed better than 1:46:28. Grrr, so close. I'm disappointed but not surprised considering I let myself have some champagne filled fun the night before. On top of not being in prime shape race day morning, I totally started off too fast. I hopped in behind the marathon 3:30 pace group with the second pacer, but according to my Garmin, we were going a lot faster. Several times when I checked my pace I was around 7:30. At about mile 5, when boredom was hitting and realizing I went out too fast, that's when I realized my PR wasn't going to happen. I did have a Cliff Shot with me and took it at mile 8. Definitely helped get me through the last few miles. Finish was ok...it was GREAT seeing Andy, KT and Frat Boy cheering me on at the end.

I thought about switching my registration to the full but am so glad I didn't. I seriously think I would have stopped at the half way point due to boredom. I usually don't get bored, even when I run the same routes, but the course just killed this race for me.

The one thing that was a big hit with my cheering committee was the FREE subway, rice and beans, and BEER at the finish. Needless to say, by the time I crossed the finish line, Andy and Frat Boy had more than a few beers.

20 comments:

Jeanette said...

Good job! Earn your beads yet???

kristen said...

1:47 is still an awesome time. Good Job - especially after a night of the bubbly

raulgonemobile said...

1:47 is nothing to be disappointed with. Awesome job, sorry you didn't enjoy the race as much as you were hoping

Chic Runner said...

Were we running the same race? ha ha love it. thanks for sharing and yes it's a good time but I feel your pain. :)

Steve Stenzel said...

Ooohh, SO CLOSE to that PR!! Dang! Nice job though!! Still a great run!!

Run Mommy said...

Your finish time is great. Be happy about that! That sucks the race was a bore - I would have thought NO would have been really lively. On to the next one!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

sorry about the PR, but i think you did an amazing job!! LOL at the beads comment too..

Felice Devine said...

Bummer that it wasn't a more interesting race. But, you finished in really good time!

Running Through Life said...

Sorry to hear the race fell short of your expectations. I think 1:47 is an impressive run.

Aron said...

great job!!! 1:47 is still a great time :) i just missed my PR yesterday too... but there are lots more races this year we can PR at!

too bad the course wasnt great :(

CONGRATS again!

Abby said...

I'm disappointed to read about your disappointment.

I ran the race the year after Katrina and had a similar experience but was hoping that it was just the organizers getting back on their feet (I was supposed to do the full but sprained my knee at mile 11 and ended up stopping after the half - I did hear that the second half of the course was a little bit greener at least). It's a bummer to hear that it hasn't improved much.

Congrats on the time, though - you did great!

Marlene said...

Sorry to hear that the event was disappointing. I know you were really looking forwaerd to this one. Congrats on a great time!

N.D. said...

You did great for a race with little fanfare going on. Don't be so hard on yourself!!!

Laurel said...

Well, chalk it up to a great vacation and a fun run with a medal. I love traveling and doing races, even if there is no PR involved. And NO is a great place for a vacation.

So, did you get to celebrate a lot afterwards? We're not going to see you on a Girls Gone Wild video are we?

Marci said...

Great job Denise. I think sometimes we expect every race to PR when really its not always possible. You ran an amazing race on a less than amazing course, so congratulations!!

joyRuN said...

Great job on the 1:47, PR notwithstanding.

The boring out & back sounds a lot like the AC course. Snnoooorrre...

Jess said...

What a bummer the course wasn't more exciting. Congrats on a great race anyway!

Janice {Run Far} said...

Maybe I shouldn't say this, but I went to NO a year ago and was not that thrilled about it there. YIKES...

I hate those boring races.

Unknown said...

I'm suprised it was boring. NO has so much to offer, it has great potential to be a really fun race. You still had an awesome time though, way to go!

Lauren said...

You thought the first half was boring!!! I ran the full and the second half was about a million times worse. I was so envious of the half-ers that could quit. There was NO ONE on the second half. Great job anyway. You were probably already drunk by the time I even got to the half. You should definitely come back, though. New Orleans is more of a night time town. Not a 7am one.