Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Made The Best Of It

Woke up at 5:15 am today to head to the gym. I was so happy after running yesterday for the first time in a week and was really looking forward to getting another run in today. Pulled into the parking lot and the lights are off in the building. Everyone is sitting in their cars. UGH. I waited about 10 minutes, at which point the gym was already ~35 minutes late opening, and decided to head home. I was so disappointed, especially since we have an appointment to finalize the kitchen design tonight and I won't be able to work out after work. But I tried to make the best of it. When I got home I pulled out my workout mat, weights, resistance band and started moving. I did week 4/Day 1 of the 100 push up challenge for a THIRD time followed by abs, squats, lunges, some upper body and some random lower body exercises. It wasn't spectacular, but it got me sweating a little bit and it was better than crawling back into bed.

This was the first time since I've been going to this gym (2 years) that this has happened, so I can't complain. But it still sucks to miss my morning work out!

25 comments:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

bummer about the gym, but good for you for still getting moving! :)

kristen said...

That sounds like a good workout to me. Why was the gym closed?

raulgonemobile said...

Ouch.. our gym just went to 24 hours M-F. I applaud you for getting up to go work out that early in the morning.. I can't roll like that

Progman2000 said...

My gym closes one day a year at the end of the summer to do a complete maintenance overhaul. Despite the fact they post all over the place when it's happening, I still manage to roll into the parking lot at 5:15am and curse at myself.

Marlene said...

Sorry to hear about the gym, but kudos for not crawling back to bed!

Laura said...

good for you. I went through a stretch with our gym doing the same thing..now our gym is open 24 hrs through the week so they are always open...No excuses for me not to make it though.

Sarah said...

Oh man - the universe is trying to keep you from working out, but you didn't let it win! Good job

Unknown said...

That stinks about the gym, but way to not let it totally derail you.

J said...

Too bad about the gym! I would be really upset!! I like morning workouts! They really wake me up!

Unknown said...

That stinks. I think I would really struggle with taking it as good as you did.

Kelly said...

Ugh how frustrating. Hope everything's okay at the gym. Go you for not crawling back into bed. That would have totally been the sign the closed gym gave me. "Well, the gym's closed, somebody must want me to get back into bed!"

Tammy said...

Ugh! That stinks about the gym. I'm thankful for the 24-7 arrangement at my gym.

Good for you for not taking the opportunity to go back to bed, though.

Janice {Run Far} said...

hoe frustrating... at least you made the best of it.

Susan said...

Good job not crawling back into bed, and even better job getting a workout in instead! Sounds like the gym has a pretty good track record otherwise, so hopefully it won't happen again soon.

Aron said...

awesome job for getting a workout in anyways!!! it would be really easy to have just skipped it after that.

Run Mommy said...

That would make me INSANE. I work in the fitness industry and I think I would totally snap if that happened with my teams. Your being amazingly pleasant about it! :) Great job getting it in anyway (plus a new kitchen!)

BOBBI McCORMICK said...

wow you go girl!!!!

Iron Mike said...

So do you also support the idea that the gym should just send out text messages if they are closed?

Excellent display of motivation, working out despite the obstacles.

RunToTheFinish said...

oh boy that stuff realllly annoys me..but I guess if it's the first time what can you do. way to go on picking it up at home

Laurel said...

That's totally annoying. Do you go to Sweat? Or LA Fitness?

I like having a little gym where we live. It's small and doesn't have too much stuff, but I can get a decent workout in whenever I need to. Which honestly, has not been very often. LOL.

DelDean said...

Oh bummer. that would totally rattle me, good job getting some workout on yer own. The place I go doesn't open until noon on Sunday (dat's real olde school) which I don't appreciate.
I see comments about 24 hr - maybe we need to shop around for a new place?

X-Country2 said...

I hate when my workout plans get screwed up. Nice work on making the best of it.

Anonymous said...

perhaps...picture to follow; but I think it would have been better before it popped

Emily said...

Responding to your comment about getting married. You must not have read my gushing posts after I got engaged (right around the new year), you should go back and take a look. I have pictures of the ring up too! I am stressing out because we're trying to do it at the end of August this year. Thanks for asking!

SuperDave said...

That bites! The good thing is you made the best of the situation.