Saturday, February 28, 2009

Played It Safe

I left this morning thinking I would attempt 20 miles but play it by ear and see how I felt. Having not run more than 13 since the marathon, I didn't want to push it and end up getting hurt. Well, turns out I didn't have it in me today so the decision to do less was easy. My legs were so heavy and I felt like I just wasn't moving. I decided to turn around at mile 7 and just do 14. At least that gets me to my goal of 100 miles for the month. I usually wouldn't eat on a 14 miler but I had a Clif shot with me and took it around mile 8.5. I've been on the fence about gels, bloks, etc. I use them because I know I need nutrition on a long run but I could never *feel* a difference after eating one. But today I honestly noticed a difference and it definitely helped get me through the last 6 miles.

I'm taking today "off" from the new house. I need a day to catch up on some studying and napping!! I'll be up there tomorrow working while we wait for the new washer and dryer to get delivered. I'm looking forward to going out to dinner tonight...sushi!! Trying to convince my parents to come with us to give it a try but they are a little apprehensive. Oh, and when did hanging out with my parents become so fun??

20 comments:

Kelly said...

Nice job on you 14miler. At least you got it done, right? I think I like gels. I've preordered a case/box of chocolate cliff shots from a local grocery store. It's like chocolate pudding, so I hope I like them, I've only used them on one run. I think that Cliff doesn't have caffine which I like. Glad it worked for you on your long run.

joyRuN said...

Good call, girl. Lam just had an awesome comment on Xenia's blog: "The most important run, always, is tomorrow's. So protect that."

Who knows if the gels provide actual or just a psychological boost - I'll take it either way!

Marci said...

Good call, jump up gradually to 20 miles, it will be easier on your body. Enjoy the sushi!

Anonymous said...

When do you normally eat on a run? I have never done so; even the last marathon I did, but I am beginning to think maybe it's a good idea. Is 20 your normal distance?

Anonymous said...

I am thinking of carrying one gel and some real food on my long run tomorrow - I have not noticed a difference taking gels yet.

Enjoy your day off :)

X-Country2 said...

Way to listen to you body. Good call.

Have a delish dinner tonight. Sushi sounds pretty yum.

ShutUpandRun said...

Always good to listen to your body! Enjoy the sushi.

RunToTheFinish said...

good call on not overextending your self, fingers crossed i'll be back out for 14 next week

Abby said...

I feel the same way about hanging out with my parents - tell them that they can always order teriyaki!

Every Gym's Nightmare said...

still waiting for hanging with my parents to be fun...

Kelly Turner
www.everygymsnightmare.com

Mel-2nd Chances said...

i agree that listening to your body is definitely better. good choice.

N.D. said...

good job on the run! sounds like you did great - glad the shot kicked in!

Man I wish I was more appreciative of my parents and wanted to spend more time w/ them.

Felice Devine said...

Nice job on the run!

I hope you had a nice night out.

Laurel said...

Nice job on the 14 miler. I think playing it safe was smart.

I used to think the same thing about gels until someone told me the whole point of taking them every hour was so that you don't notice a difference. It keeps you steady the entire time and if it gets to the point where you can notice it, it's too late and you should have already taken one.

That's what I get for hanging out with a bunch of exercise physiologists. Know-it-alls. LOL.

Laura said...

good call. I have just started incorporating gels into my running. It is still tough for me to 'down' them but I am starting to notice a difference in that I am not as 'stupid' at the end of a long run as I used to be. I seriously would be so spent that I would sound like I had lost IQ points.

Laurel said...

I want a snow day too! But I heard, Temple never closes for the snow. Damn! And I take the train, so I don't even have that excuse! Except, having to walk the mile to and from the train...in 10 ft of snow...uphill...backwards...with no shoes...

Aron said...

sounds like 14 was definitely the smart move!!! i can always tell a difference after a gu, maybe its just mental but i definitely get a boost :)

Marlene said...

Nice job on the 14 miles. Good idea not to push it too far too fast. Hope you enjoyed dinner!

Running Through Life said...

You need to listen to your body and know the limits. Great job on the 14 miler.

You inspired me to go out and do 13.1 on Saturday, even though I was planning on 8.

SuperDave said...

I'm sorta mixed on the gels and bars - sometime I need em sometime I don't. Even if I don't want to eat em, I usually will for the 12+ milers.