I'm a HUGE planner. I need to know what's going on, when I'm going to do it, how it's going to get done, etc. This Friday we have plans to see a show in the city. Happens to be one of Andy's favorite artist so I'm happy we're going and know it will be a good time. But with that being said, it's been stressing me out ALL week. Knowing we'll be out really late on Friday and that there will most likely be cocktails involved, I probably won't get my long run in on Saturday. On top of that, we have a lot of moving to do Saturday so I can't just disappear for a few hours in the middle of the day. I'd usually run around 7am so I still have the whole day ahead of me to get stuff done. So it's looking like I might have to wait until Sunday. Big deal, right! But for some reason, I feel so discombobulated! (I love that word!) Any time I have to deviate from my routine I get all stressed out. I hate it! Sometimes I think it would be so nice to be one of those "fly by the seat of their pants" kind of people rather than this rigid, by the books planner. So, I'm trying to realize it's not the end of the world if I wait until Sunday and that I should go out on Friday with intentions of having a great time and not thinking about the long run. Anyone else struggle with this?
After providing Coach with my weekly summary from last week, I received my schedule for this week. On tap:
Mon - 6 mi
Tues - 4 mi
Wed - off
Thurs - 6 mi (sharpen*)
Fri - 3 mi
Sat - 16 mi
*For the "sharpen" run, I warm up at an easy pace and then alternate half mile intervals with my Broad Street race pace and my easy pace. Broad Street is the 10 miler I have coming up in May. Last year I ran it in 1:19:11. I'm looking for a little PR but nothing too big as I haven't done any specific training for this race.
28 comments:
I'm a huge planner also. I usually do my long runs on Sundays but my parents are coming to visit this weekend so I want to get it over with Saturday morning. I feel kind of stressed about it too!
I'm a total planner at work, but I'm the anti-planner in my personal life. Crap falls through the cracks and we sometimes run out of milk 2 days before I usually go to the store, but it's not the end of the world. :o)
Have a great trip!
I could have written your first paragraph so many times. I thrive on routine.
Total planner...have to be. I have to plan out meals on Sunday for the week as we completely busy Mon-Friday so I need to have this done. I implore the husband to not make plans on Saturday nights as we do our long runs on Sundays and if we do, I am clock watching the entire night...
I get all discombobulated too - my routine is all messed up this week as I switched Mon and Tues workouts, and might do the same for Wed and Thurs. I like things to be set out much better!
omg i am sooooo with you. i am SUCH a planner. we had a friday night thing a few weeks ago and i was stressing all week. luckily my husband wanted to leave at intermission and i definitely didnt complain :) you will get it worked out though and get that run in! sometimes sunday runs are nice :)
2 things:
-I am a planner too. My meals, my workouts, homework time, cleaning time...everything. When my plan goes awry I am a mess. I am in the same boat this weekend and had to revise my "plan" twice already. If I don't, I am unprepared and anxious. I am sure I drive people nuts with it...perhaps I am OCD.
-One of my favorite words is discombobulated!
Have fun at the show!
I just got a pink IPOD Shuffle and as soon as the hubby gets music on there, I'm off to hit the pavement!
I was a planner until I got married. Then I learned that the forces that are more powerful than myself will just mess up whatever plan I had. :)
Yep, total planner, bordering on neurotic but getting better about going with the flow :)
I am definitely like that sometimes. I find it difficult not to stress about changes in the routine, mostly because when I am not in my routine, NOTHING happens the way it is supposed to.
Try to have fun Friday night!
I'm exactly the same way...I get very anxious, honestly, if my workout routine is interrupted. My husband's birthday fell on a Tuesday this year, and his parents were here visiting us, and I was *freaked* that I had to miss a Muay Thai class because we were having his birthday dinner (that I made but barely touched) and cake (that I had none of despite repeated "oh, just have a sliver!" suggestions from the ILs. I don't like anything to get in the way of my workouts; I would be feeling just like you are about Saturday! Good luck!
Sometimes you just have to go with the flow. ;-)
1:19 for 10 miles is a great time!
I try to be a planner, but with kids and a hubby that works different hours it is harder. I usually end up thinking about running all the time because of this and planning through out the day when I am going to squeeze in my run.
Oh yeah, I totally relate on the planning thing. I am the exact same way. But I find it usually all ends up working out okay.
I'm definitely a planner, and I *love* routines. Don't mess with my morning routine, or I will be extremely grumpy!
At least you can get the run in on Sunday...now if you were busy both days, that would be reason for a super freak out!
I am the same way about planning things out. It totally is a pain but it's not something I can push out of my mind either. My mom can read my face when I'm stressing about my plans derailing, but I try to pretend to be a seat-of-the-pants kind of girl. I eventually fail.
Enjoy the Sunday run!!
I used to be a planner. Then my kids came along & forced me to become a little more forgiving with my schedule. Now I'm a total slack :)
i do better with routine too, and plan a lot as well. Good luck!
I now love that word too. :)
Go out on Friday, be in the moment and enjoy a fun night! Your running will still be there on Sunday and you'll likely be even more motivated after your break.
I'm a big planner too...in all areas of my life except exercise. I get it in, but I find I enjoy it more when I'm flexible. If I give myself a strict schedule I usually lose interest. I'm weird like that I guess. :)
Great blog. I'm looking forward to you visiting my blog and following it as I will start following your progress as well. Blessings!
Looks like a tough week - but you're tougher than me :)
Oh, and I'm an uber planner too. Complete uber planner.
Oh wow, you just described me to a "T"! I am a total planner...my husband is exactly the opposite, so it's a good balance :) I kind of freak out if I realize I'm not going to get in my long run on Saturday morning :) It's annoying sometimes, but all the planning does help keep me sane in a way!
I'm impressed you can spell discombobulated. Yeah, I had to copy and paste it from your blog. I have no problem switching days for my runs. As long as I get them in in the week - 8days it's all good. Sorry, no help to you.
I'm impressed you can spell discombobulated. Yeah, I had to copy and paste it from your blog. I have no problem switching days for my runs. As long as I get them in in the week - 8days it's all good. Sorry, no help to you.
I completely understand how you feel. Sometimes I get so stressed just becasue I have to move a couple of workouts around to accomodate life. I have never been one of those 'fly by the seat' people. What a stressfull way to live.
Oh yeah, I'm totally like that. This just happened to me last weekend. I had to move my Saturday long run to Sunday because I'd be out of town planning my best friend's bridal shower. Well, Saturday night we got a blizzard. That totally derailed me so I didn't get out at all on Sunday. I was so mad.
I don't like to deviate from my running plans because in the past if I skipped a day or two, eventually that would turn into a week or two weeks.....it's part of the problem that I haven't been consistent in the last few years. So yeah, I don't want to turn out like that so I really stress out over things interfering with my plans.
I haven't had too much trouble getting them in and always find a way somehow lately, but when I have something planned, it is sooo hard to figure it out and I stress out about it all week like you did!
Post a Comment