Anyway, we talked about my questionnaire, goals, training schedule, nutrition, etc. There are definitely some areas I need to work on, the first being my goals since I don't really have any. I really need to focus on what I want to achieve by running the Ultra and have some substantial goals other than, "not to die." I'm not sure I knew what I was thinking when I signed up for this...Yea, I think I'm going to sign up for this race and shoot for 50 miles. Who do I think I am?? All I have to say is it's a good thing I sought some help with this one, there's A LOT involved!!
With regards to my training, I do have to take it easy on my "off" days. Right now I have been cleared to lift on those 2 days, but as we get further into training, I will need to take one day completely off from exercise. The other thing that will be hard will be adjusting to my easy days. Like today. I have a 3 miler scheduled at an 8:50 pace. Normally I would do more cardio after a short run like this but not anymore.
I left the meeting with some action items, feel free to provide suggestions!!
- Set tangible goals!!
- Start eating before my morning runs (although I was told I don't have to for my shorter runs!!).
- Mantra to repeat in my head and keep me going (I'm sure someone has a good one out there!!).
- Line up some "crew" members to assist on race day. (Feed me, change me, wipe my azz...anyone interested?).
- Line up some Pacers for race day.
- Work on my nutrition for race day (start thinking of what I could eat when the last thing I want to do is put food in my mouth...hmmm, crunch n munch??)
- Stay on track with my paces. Even if it feels funny or slow, follow Coach's orders.
- Start getting more runs done outside and off the treadmill.
Overall, it was a really productive meeting. I'm looking forward to making Coach proud!!
34 comments:
sounds like a great meeting!!! how fun :)
Wow, he sounds like he knows what he's doing!
Can't wait to hear more.
How about (for mantras): "Don't deny your awesomeness" or "Finish what you started" or " you never feel bad after a run(race)"
This is really exciting!
I'm overwhelmed just thinking about what you're taking on, but it's going to be awesome. Sounds like Coach has a good plan for you!
Wow this will be amazing, I can't wait to hear all about it. I can't imagine doing an ultra! And so exciting to have a coach.
Sounds like you've got an idea of where to go from here! I'll be interested to see how your plan develops!
I'm so excited you're doing this. It'll be fun to follow. Keep us updated for sure.
Very cool. Those are some great tips. I need to incorporate some of them myself.
That sounds great; I can't wait to hear all about your training as it goes on.
Have you picked out which 50-miler you are intending on doing?
yeahh!! glad you had a great meeting, it's so inspiring!!
on the youshake, I don't think I could do it with just water or milk. I like it in my crazy green smoothies for sure though
Smart move getting a coach.
I look forward to following your progress & plan.
Really interesting stuff. Have you read the "Extra Mile" about ultra marathon running? If not, it would have some really great info from a woman's point of view. Good luck with it all and with Coach Jack.
I like your goals - and if you figure out how to get more spectators at your races let me know!! I've recently been falling into a bit of a slump at the end of a race when I realize no one is there for me.
GAWD I'm such a Debbie Downer!
Although I was told if I run the Bare Pumpkin Run some friends would come. Hmph.
Sounds like it was a productive start. I will be excited to hear about your training.
That sounds so awesome, I hope I am at your point one day.
Sounds amazing! You mean "not to die" isn't a good enuf goal?! LOL Sounds like he has a good plan for you, enjoy!
Jack sounds like a great coach, I think its a great idea. Can't wait to read more about it.
Fifty miles is a lot, but at one point - for most of us - so was one. Looks like you've got a great coach and some very doable goals, and you'll be more than ready.
I can just picture it. You are about to cross the finish of your first 50 mile race, when all the sudden, you CHOKE on crunch n munch! LOL!
Sounds like a great meeting. I want to see who signs up to wipe your azz...
This is going to be a great read, watching you train for this. I'm excited.
Your coach is cool.
Here's my input.
Mantra my kids stole from some TV show: "Keep trying, keep trying, never give up."
Goal: Promote awareness of that decent BOMF program.
Crew members/pacers: Go that route, have them set up a tent EARLY in the AM outside of Lloyd Hall, best decision you can make. Me? Lone Ranger all the way, no crew again this year.
Nutrition: I'm gonna host 2 Gu days at work for anyone interested. Basically, just eat Gu all day, nothing else.
Figure since I'm expecting my body to survive on them for 24 hours in brutal conditions, I might as well begin with some trials on a normal day.
glad it went well and you have changes to make!
Yeah, I'll volunteert to wipe your azz....oh, wait - I don't live anywhere near you. Sorry, my bad.
I have a good mantra for while your training. I always tell myself,
1. Sucessfull people do what unsucessfull people don't
2. Today, somebody is training so that tomorow, they will pass you.
They might not help you in the actual race, but I hope they help you during your training. They do me.
The biggest thing I have seen about coaches is when they say slow, they mean slow! It's hard to listen sometimes.
A plan is always a good place to start!
When I am hitting a wall or need to mantra to myself I usually repeat "never stop moving" or my favorite (and the title of my blog) "Finishing is Winning".
You are going to be great!!
How exciting! It is hard to take it easy but as your hard workouts become harder maybe you'll be looking forward to those easy days!
The coach sounds like he has given you a lot to digest. I will be waiting to read how it all works out.
I'd come volunteer, but I can't that weekend. :(
Glad you like your coach!
You are HARDCORE!!! I know how hard it will be to force yourself to take a day off but your coach knows of what he speaks so try...maybe it's okay if you just do some stretching or light yoga on an off day? Your blog is total awesomeness...I've already learned a lot! : )
The goal-setting thing is a good start. I think too many of us tend to run (and do many other things) without clear goals. A mantra? Well a good one for a presentation is 'capable, confident, caring". You might have to tweak it a little but for running...
Sounds like a productive meeting!!
My favorite mantra is "pain is inevitable...suffering is optional" :) It's a good one!
I'll wipe your azz Denise..I have plenty of baby wipes now.
Post a Comment