Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Carbohydrates

I've always tried to limit the amount of carbs I ate for fear of them making me gain weight. With the marathon training though, I really made it an effort to consume more, especially at dinner when I would usually have none. Since I've been studying, I've been reading a lot about how much we need of each nutrient, and I'm curious to see if I'm getting the carbs I need. The recommended carbohydrate intake in gram weight is 4 to 6 grams of carbohydrate per kilogram of body weight (1.8 - 2.7 grams per pound).

So, here's what I've had today:

Oatmeal w/ wheat germ, blueberries, skim milk/water - 40
Skim milk - 12
String cheese - 6
Grapes - 58
Almonds - 3
Salad w/ chicken, walnuts, 1/4 c beans, 2 T avocado - 13.4
WW wrap - 10
Apple - 20
Carrots - 10
Bulgar - 30
Banana - 27
Chicken - 0
1/2 Sweet potato - 24
Green beans - 10
Yogurt - 16
Wheat biscuit - 19
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
EQUALS ~ 298 grams carbohydrate

My recommended range is 257 - 386 so it looks like I'm doing ok. With the amount of running, I could probably use some more, but at least I know I'm getting what I need.

Sorry for the boring post but I've been meaning to do this for a while and I thought the info might help my biggest loser contestants.

If anyone has any suggestions of some healthy carbs, feel free to share them!!

21 comments:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

very interesting! i wish i had the motivation to really break down everything i eat like that and really track it... for a period of time. I have good intentions, but never stick with it! Looks like you're doing great!

Marci said...

You eat really healthy! I need to improve my eating, I have been so slack lately in this department.

Marlene said...

I am always conflicted with carbohydrates... being weight-obsessed has the carbs are bad' myth drilled into my head and I have to tell myself over and over that I *need* the carbs.

Sounds like you're doing good.

joyRuN said...

Amazing how the diets out there have really put a bad spin on carbohydrates.

Judging from my ketone stink post-run, I'm still lacking carbs pre-run.

Jeanette said...

Cupcakes have carbs :) Carrot cake cupcakes have carbs AND vegies!!!

Natalie D said...

I eat so many carbs - I never count them up!!

Laurel said...

If by healthy carbs, you mean pizza, I'm in. I've been eating like a pig lately.

RunToTheFinish said...

I used to think about carbs, but then read the book by Nancy Clark and she makes some wonderful points about runners bodies using those carbs and actually not having enough carbs causing you to hold on to weight. You should really take a look at it...took me a bit, but now I am eating a LOT of carbs (good carbs) and my BF has never been lower.

Rookie on the Run said...

I'm impressed... not only are you a healthy eater, you keep track of what you eat! I have so much to learn in this area. I think I need more healthy carbs these days. You've inspired me to be more aware of my intake.

Run Mommy said...

You are an excellent eater! I will use you for inspiration next time I am deciding on a meal. My biggest carb issue is breakfast..all of my first choices are super carb laden. Any tips on that?

Running Through Life said...

You are an inspiration the way you are tracking everything you eat. I need to work on my understanding of good/bad carb intake.

Every Gym's Nightmare said...

Im a carb fanatic. ive never added mine up for the day- but i bet Id be way over my limit

Kelly Turner
www.everygymsnightmare.com

ShutUpandRun said...

Your list makes me hungry. Haven't had breakfast yet. Very healthy and good stuff!

SuperDave said...

That is a very good idea. Even though I have been eating healthy, I don't pay much attention to my protein/ carb intake. I do watch my cals/ fat/ sat fat/ fiber though. I think you just inspired me.

raulgonemobile said...

I never break it down like that.. I probably should one week just to see, but it sure seems like a lot of effort. :)

Jess said...

I've always been a fan of whole wheat pasta with tomatoes, basil and little bit of olive oil

BOBBI McCORMICK said...

very informative stuff here!

Junior Familia said...

idont think Id be able to work half as hard as i could without carbs. =/
if you work hard enough the weight will come off.

Felice Devine said...

Those look like really good carbs. I make some healthy muffins that I think are healthy carbs, low fat, low sugar, whole wheat.

kristen said...

I never get bored getting a sneak peek into peoples' diets. I'm nosy that way.

Christina said...

Hey! Thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday! You will living near a LOVE Trader Joe's!

I've always thought the same as you did about carbs, and I used to really limit myself.

Since I've been running, I've noticed that my body really needs them for optimum performance. It makes a huge difference and I feel as if I might even be losing weight, by eating more starch. Probably because I am able to work out harder for a longer period of time.

Love your blogs :)