Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Circuit Training

I decided to switch things up a bit at the gym this morning. Since I woke up early and got there right as they opened (5 am!!), I had some extra time to work out. Wednesday is usually a lift day, but I was really in the mood to run. So, I decided to do a circuit. For those of you who aren't familiar with circuit training, it's interval training in which strength exercises are combined with aerobic exercises. Therefore you get the benefit of both a cardiovascular workout and a strength training workout. I did the following circuit 3 times with no breaks in between and man, this really kept my heart rate up! I'm thinking this might be my new Wednesday workout.

Run 1 mile -- chest -- walking lunges -- shoulders -- leg extension -- back -- leg curls -- biceps -- abduction/adduction --triceps -- calves

I ran the first mile at 8:30, mile 2 at 8:15 and mile 3 at 8:00. After the 3 circuits, I did a lot of stretching and abs. I feel great right now, such a good workout!!

Oh, and I'm trying to pay more attention to what I eat, when. I typically don't eat before my morning workouts because it's just too early. But on days when I run, I feel a little sluggish. So I've been testing the waters with some food prior to the gym. Today I had 1/2 a banana before I went and the other half as soon as I got home. Followed by breakfast after I showered.

For those of you who get up early to work out, do you eat before hand? Any suggestions for something quick and easily digestible??

30 comments:

Dan Seifring aka "OBRATS" said...

Looks like a great workout, I am looking for a good ciruit routine so I will give it a try.

I would probably eat a banana or two if I was working out that early.

N.D. said...

that sounds great! switching it up is definitely good.

I usually can't eat but if i have to, 1/2 a trader joes cereal bar or 1/2 a balance or power bar.

Anonymous said...

I have trouble eating before a morning workout. I think it's definitely a good thing, but not a habbit I've been good at getting into.

That circuit routine looks awesome. nice work!

Marlene said...

I *have* to eat something before I workout or I can feel myself crashing and burning after 30 minutes. I have a hard time stomaching food super early, but I can usually handle a banana or half cup of oatmeal.

Nice circuit!

Anonymous said...

Your workout looks like it kicked butt! That's really similar to the types of workouts that I do on the days that I do strength training and they have really helped boost my endurance! I injured my MCL and can't run right now (which is killing me!), so I have had to omit the sprints... boring!
Keep up the good work!

raulgonemobile said...

Nice workout.. 5am.. I'm impressed. I had trouble dragging my ass out of bed at 7am, never mind working out then.

I like to eat before working out in the morning, usually toast or a bagel or something. And coffee, of course.

ShutUpandRun said...

Sounds like a great workout. I've been doing Jillian's Shred DVD, which is also a circuit thing, but pretty short. I am SO impressed you make it the gym by 5am. A great start to your day.

ShutUpandRun said...

I have trouble eating in the early morning too. A banana and a few bites of a protein bar would be it for me. If I was running long, I would eat a gel or something in the middle.

kristen said...

Good workout, I am going to try it (maybe sans the run - until I am through my knee rehab).

I get up around 5am and swim. I eat a frozen waffle. Sometimes Kashi but lately the Eggo multi-grain kind (cheaper and just as good). They are quick and give me just enough calories. I also drink at least one cup of coffee and I have to poop before I leave the house. This means I usally have to give myself about 40 minutes before I can workout. It sucks a little - but it is what it is.

thans for posting the circuit workout!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

i definitely need to eat before running because i think i have low blood sugar, and get shaky/b*tchy/weak if I don't eat enough. I can't eat too much early in the morning... but i have to have something.

Susan said...

Sounds like a good circuit workout! I think they made us do those in high school gym class, and I remember them being tough!

I usually eat before a morning run if I'm going to be running longer than 8-9 miles. I have toast with peanut butter and a banana (half if only 8-9, whole banana if longer). I usually give myself at least half an hour after I finish eating before I head out. In high school, I only used to eat frosted mini wheats before 6am practice during the summer...that worked well too.

RunningLaur said...

before crew I always had a granola bar - I must eat first thing in the morning. Before running I have toast and pb since I have a little more time to digest.
A teammate of mine always had apple sauce - super easy to digest and grab and go.

Norma said...

THAT is one hell of an awesome workout! Great job! I wake up ravenous so I do have to eat something before I work out. Usually oatmeal or a protein bar or a banana with a little natural peanut butter, or even a baked sweet potato. Then I'll have egg whites afterward, maybe with an EAS shake.

BOBBI McCORMICK said...

pb and toast with honey:)

Felice Devine said...

I'm not a morning exerciser for the most part. But, whenever I do exercise in the morning I go with a banana or handful of craisins. And coffee! Always coffee...

Anonymous said...

Try eating a cupcake before you workout! They are good any time of day. :)

Anonymous said...

I always eat in the morning before I workout. I try to stick with oatmeal or cereal, though lately I've been making smoothies... Yogurt, banana, kiwi, some whey, it's fun to experiment with them. But yeah, I never go to the gym on an empty stomach. And I usually do my running after work (before dinner), so I don't worry about cramps - If I was running more than a mile or so in the AM, I probably wouldn't eat much beforehand, maybe half a banana or something like you mentioned.

Abby said...

Before a long run in the mornings, I always go with bread and peanut butter. If it's early enough and I'm just going out for a normal run or bike ride or whatever, I can usually get away with not eating until I finish.

That circuit looks intense!

X-Country2 said...

Yes, for sure eat! Your body needs it even if you aren't working out as hard as you.

I don't do mornings often, but when I do, it's pb&j on whole wheat before and my normal smoothie and granola afterwards.

joyRuN said...

Sounds like a great workout!

I like my oatmeal with honey & walnuts in the morning - not really light, but it stays with me.

Amber said...

Hey, thanks for the blog comment!

That looks like an INTENSE workout! I love circuit training, but I usually do it on the bike. I don't go to the gym in the morning anymore but last summer I used to go around 6-6:30 every morning and I always had half a banana with peanut butter before going!

Toni said...

Sounds like a great workout. When I work out in the morning I usually eat bananas or if it's a long workout toast and peanut butter.

Runner Leana said...

Yay, thanks for stopping by my blog! I've noticed that you and I seem to read a bunch of the same ones.

Honestly, I rarely eat before an early morning workout. During the summer if I'm trying to get a quick run in before work I'm usually only running 3 miles so I don't feel like I need it. And I rarely have time to eat before swimming.

That being said, I did have a bit of breakfast before swimming on Tuesday since I somehow woke up extra early. Cold pizza...and my swim was half decent too! Maybe cold pizza is the ticket...

RunToTheFinish said...

I've always done circuits...love it, less time more bang!!

I used to not eat thinking hey i'm burning more calories...guess what not true cause you can't workout out as hard. that being said i don't eat a lot but i try for a slice of bread with honey or a small banana..both good.

Unknown said...

Sounds worth a try. I'm going crazy not running. I need something to do!

Lisa said...

Hi Denise,
Thanks for your nice comment on my blog. Yes life does get in the way, especially when you have kids, but now I schedule my runs in my Blackberry and I'm learning to say "no" to other things. Thanks for your kind words, but a marathon??? I don't know about that :)

Laura said...

Tuesday was the first time in a long time I got up to do a really early morning run - just got up, dressed and went with no food.
It was not fun. I still have trouble eating a lot before any run but now know I have to eat at least 1/2 banana or a piece of toast as I just crash too easily.

Jen Feeny said...

I get up at 5:45 am most mornings to run but usually never eat. If I absolutely need to eat; then a half a banana is about all I can manage and even then I still have a rough go at it. Eating before a run just doesn't work for me, or most people it seems.

Also thanks for posting the circuit workout, I'm going to have to test that out. I usually just do some sit-ups and push-ups after my morning runs but I know I need to get more active.

Aron said...

awesome job on the circuit training!!

if i am doing a hard or longer run in the morning i will usually eat a banana, or as much of it as i can. this morning i had 3/4 a banana then i had a gu mid run too since it was a long one.

Laurel said...

I stick with a banana if it's a shorter run. For longer runs, it's usually a banana with toast and peanut butter.

I've heard good things about oatmeal, but it doesn't agree with me.

Just drink coffee like I do. LOL.