A few of you have asked what pace I run my back to back long runs at while training for the Ultra. First of all, the point of the back to back long runs is to get time on my feet, to run on tired legs, learn what it's going to feel like on race day. It's not about speed. The other purpose of these runs is to practice my race day strategy (well, I should be doing that) by doing "5:1". That's 5 minutes of running with a 1 minute walk break...repeat. People practice different run-walk strategies but I like the 5:1. I know someone doing 25:5 and some others who are doing 2 mile run, 2 minute walk. The walk break gives your body a little break from the pounding on the pavement, a chance to eat/drink and also provides a little mental break. Personally, I could not do anymore than 1 minute of walking because it gets hard to run after these little walk breaks when you're miles into it. I don't want to give my body any more time to get used to walking then I have to. The main thing is that you just always keep moving forward.
Last year I was really good about always doing the 5:1's on my long runs. This year, not so much. I really want to run and I hate the walk breaks. So as a compromise, I've been doing a few walk breaks on my first long run of the weekend and then I take them all on my second long run. As for pace, it really comes down to how I'm feeling that day and lately, how freaking hot it is. Here are some example of how things have been going, listed by the first long run then second the next day:
15 mi - ave 9:55 (took all walk breaks because of 31 mile run the next day)
31.5 mi - 10:45 (towards the end for our last few miles when we were running we were in the low to mid 9 min pace)
18 mi - ave 9:50 (with walk breaks taken from mile 10 on)
18.2 mi - ave 10:44 (took all walk breaks)
15 mi - ave 9:25 (with 4 mini (30 seconds) walk breaks)
20 mi - ave 10:30 (took majority of walk breaks but not all)
So as you can see, it's a slow and steady pace. Last year, I ran at least one run during the week with the walk breaks in addition to the weekend long runs and the paces killed me. I came out of this training a slug and felt like I could not generate any speed. Determined to not let that happen again this year, I've been trying to do at least one run during the week at a quicker pace. Last week I ran a 6 miler at 8:20 (which was my marathon pace for Philly) and last night I ran 10 miles averaging a 9:00 minute pace. Still a far cry from my 7:20 climb the ladder pace, but I'll get back there soon enough.
I've been itching to race during this entire training cycle and all the summer 5ks around are killing me. I'm so tempted to do one but with the Achilles being temperamental, I don't want to risk it. I'm going to keep plugging along for the next 4 weeks; recover from the Ultra, then let these legs do what they really want to do...race!!
17 comments:
Wow, you are holding a pretty decent pace that some people would be excited to do even in just a 5K! Be proud of yourself girlie!
I know what that itch to race feels like, but you are being really smart holding back! That ultra will be here before you know it!
I can see how it must be SO tough juggling your desire to run fast with your ultra training. You're doing a great job with the discipline on your training runs!
very interesting, thanks for sharing!
You're getting so close to the ultra! Exciting!
It's really useful to hear your long run pacing. It's a tricky balance but it sounds like it's working well. Congrats!
I'm glad you're sticking with the walk breaks - they are so good for you!! You're doing great!
Those paces are obviously working since you rocked the back-to-back 15 and 20 despite your funk.
Keep it up!
I know I say this a lot- but I am SO EXCITED for the Ultra! Can't wait to see your smiling face!
that's cool to know about the paces of the super long runs.
I can't imagine the mental part of long runs like that. I'd lose my mind!
Still a strong pace. :)
Holy wowzers those are some crazy miles!! I would have a really hard time running again after walking for too long..
Very interesting! The ultra-marathoners around Here definitely emphasize the time on your feet.
holy hell i still feel slow :)
Um, that's my pace w/o taking walk breaks. :/
I think that's interesting about the ratios of run/walk, I guess I never realized the importance of that. I hope your Achilles heals quickly so you can get to do one of those 5K's.
Thanks for sharing this. I take walk breaks on my long runs as well. Mainly to eat and drink. I love back to backs and also believe in the "running on tired legs" practice during training.
I hear ya on not wanting to walk. That takes a lot of willpower!
I'm trying to train myself to be more consistent about walk breaks. It's not easy. I like to fall into a zone and just run and not think too much about it. But you've got to pay attention to the time with this plan. But I'm giving it a try. I'm only on my 2nd week.
Post a Comment