Monday, June 28, 2010

Bad News

I've been in denial for weeks about my Achilles. I kept trying to tell myself that the pain was in my head and that it was going to get better. I tried to pretend that the injury really wasn't there and that I wasn't doing any more damage by running on it. I was convinced I was making a big deal out of nothing. Well, I finally came to my senses.

I had an upsetting PT session on Thursday and knew I was being stupid when I couldn't do a simple calf raise without pain. I had not one but two therapists talk to me about how I was pushing it and that not only is the Ultra a bad idea, but I should take time off completely to heal. Hearing them say that was enough for me to bag my 18 mile run on Friday, but I wasn't completely sold on the idea of taking time off completely. On Saturday I hit the gym and then went over to run with the club for what I was hoping was a very easy, pain free 3-4 miles. Before we set off to run I chatted with my podiatrist about how I was feeling, PT, etc and he said exactly what I didn't want to hear. He said the next step to getting this fixed would be to wear a boot for a month and no running.  I started crying right then and there. No running for a month?? No Ultra?? Um, no. I'll lose my freaking mind. Still not convinced I had to go to such extremes, I took off running with the group and made it about 5 steps before the pain set in. I had to stop and headed home hysterical.

I eventually calmed down and realized that this is what I need to do. I thought about how I would feel if I did anymore damage and put myself out of commission for even longer. I would never forgive myself. So as of today, I'm sporting a big black boot. I'm allowed to bike easy and swim so this is going to be a new challenge for me. We just ran to the mall to get me a bathing suit and goggles and I'll be in the pool tomorrow doing laps. I have a little pipe dream to do an Iron Man some day so it's about time I learn to do more than play around in a pool!! There will be no Ultra for me this summer, which really sucks. But if it means I come out of this month healed and strong, I'm ok with that. I have big plans for the Fall and am already looking forward to running in a month.


Oh, this thing is HOT! Goes really nice with the 100 degree weather we have right now.

38 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you are injured, but better to catch it before it becomes even worse!! I was put in a cast for a stress fracture about 9 years ago (the kind that doesn't come off). it took a year to be able to run without pain, but the good news is, I was running FASTER than EVER! I hope its the same for you!! Good luck and have fun in the pool, the Ultra can wait!

Marlene said...

My heart sank for you as soon as I saw your post title and the little thumbnail image of your boot. :( I was soooo hoping this injury would take care of itself.

I'm glad you're making the smart choice here and not pushing it any further, but it has to be so difficult for you.

Wishing you a speedy and FULL recovery, and some awesome swimming in the mean time. BIG HUGS!

Progman2000 said...

Major suckage - sorry to hear, hope you feel better soon!

KLP said...

So sorry to hear about the ultra but you are being so smart and accepting that recovery is best for the long haul. Keep up with the swimming and biking - i'd love for you to join the IM club someday!

Jill said...

I am so sorry about your Achilles. What is the official diagnosis of the ailment? I know how painful this is but I love your attitude about the Ironman and maybe this time swimming will give you that push to tackle that dream. Hoping for speedy recovery for yoU!

Janice {Run Far} said...

dang girl. Take care of yourself.

Lisa said...

I'm so sorry to hear this, but you know you are doing the right thing for yourself in the long term.
I am struggling with an injury at the moment, but being new to running I'm not even sure what it is, although I think it's something to do with my achilles as well, but the pain is mid-calf then radiates down to my ankle, and when I run my shin hurts as well to start with.
I've kept pushing myself because I'm terrified if I stop exercising the weight loss I've been doing so well at for the last 11 months will stop. But it is steadily getting worse, so I think after I do my first 5k race on Saturday I'm going to have to rethink things, and maybe visit my dr or sports therapist.
I hope you have a quick recovery and enjoy your biking and swimming in the interim.

Katie A. said...

Saw this on FB and went WTF? I'm so sorry, and like Marlene, my heart sank for you :( And a part of me was like, "maybe in three weeks it will be all better and she can still run the ultra!" I'm as bad as you! Wait, no, I'm worse! You're being smart though - it's hard to make grown-up decisions like this!
Good luck gilie, sending lots of healing vibes your way!

Ewa said...

I had been stupid with my Achilles problems for weeks running through pain and telling myself that the pain was not too bad. Now I can't run at all. Had I listened to what my body and smart people were telling me I would be a happy runner now.
Take care and try to enjoy cross training.

Scott McMurtrey said...

Very sad news indeed. :( It's these in between injuries that are the worst -- just bad enough to be painful but not so painful that you think you can suck it up and push through.

Here's to time flying the next few weeks.

Abby said...

I haven't been reading blogs at all since we left town, but I saw your picture on facebook and had to come see what what going on. I'm so so sorry to hear about the lingering injury.

Obviously, you're making the smart decision, but I know it's rough. I hope that swimming and biking serve as a fun distraction - and eventually to read about the Ironman plans :)

Jill said...

I'm sorry about the injury. I know I would go nuts having to wear a boot, but remember, in the end it is for the best. You will still be able to run once it's completely healed. Also, when my husband was injured and couldn't run, he did water running. I'm not sure what it consists of, but do a little research and it may help you out a lot. Here's to a speedy recovery!

Bert said...

Sorry to hear about the chronic achilles problem, but it happens. Us athletes are prone to these 'diseases of excellence' as an erstwhile running doctor (I think it was Sheehan?) used to call them. Best wishes for the recovery.

Anonymous said...

hang in there, denise! i had to back out of running my mom's first marathon with her due to a sprain ankle and wrist. it was one of the hardest but smartest decision's i've ever made! you have such a great attitude that will get you far! it's not taking time off from running, it's "sharpening the other areas of training for your future Iron Man":) your blog is so inspiring!!! hang in there!! paige (coach jack's niece)

RunningLaur said...

So sorry that you're going to be missing out on the ultra, I know how much the disappointment of not being able to do a key race stings.

In the end, I bet it's just the universe's way to get you to spend more time on the bike / in the pool. There may be an ironman in your future before you know it :)

joyRuN said...

I hear your frustration, but better to preserve the many more ultras & marathons in your future that would be otherwise get compromised permanently.

:(

If you want to come swim with me down here...

Kristen said...

I feel for you. I really, really do but you are doing the right thing. I am just now coming back from a stressed fracture. I have not run for about 7-8 weeks ( I actually start back tomorrow ) When the injury first occurred I tried to stay positive and hope for the best but in the end it became apparent that my body needed extra rest to recover and the sooner I buckled down and did just that, the faster I would recovery. It's honestly gone by faster then I would have expected b/c I shifted focus and started focusing on cross training and weight lifting a bit more. I have definitely have had my woe-is-me moments but the best thing I did was forcing myself to stop feeling sorry for myself and to throw focus head strong into the recovery process, even if it was terribly boring!

-Kristen
http://www.dailymile.com/people/kristenrf

ShutUpandRun said...

OK - first, I am SORRY. It just sucks. Second, you know I get it b/c I have been there. I was in the middle of training for what I hoped would be my BQ when I got my stress fracture. Crutches, boot, no running for 2 months. But....I came back stronger and faster and BQ'd four months later. Hang in there. Swim your butt off. Bike. Do what you can. Your body is so fit, it will cooperate. But GET BETTER or you will never emerge from this injury. Feeling for you over here...

ShutUpandRun said...

...and you can ride the automatic cart at Target and it's fun.

Anonymous said...

I know this has to be very sad for you- but you are right...to keep pushing could make it worse in the long run! I am bummed we wont be meeting but hopefully it won't be long!

PS- go get those IM dreams Denise...you can do anything!

N.D. said...

sorry about this new accessory :( way to look at the bright side - some new things you can focus on. It's totally hard but gives you new perspective and it's refreshing (at least for me right now) to not have to run!

RunningFromCancer said...

I have been following your tweets. As everyone has said - you need to rest it now so that it doesn't progress to a longer injury. Swimming and biking will certaining keep you in shape.

Patience!

Iron Mike said...

Denise, what's with us?

Now, I have to run a loop for YOU at BOMF.

Nothing about that sounds right.

You have my support and you're one of the best damn runners I've ever known, which automatically qualifies you as the best damn recoverying runner in the world.

You can do this. Listen to your body and you'll be back out there kicking ass.

Meanwhile, drink plenty of pool water, it's loaded with nutrients.

Jamie said...

I'm sorry to hear about your continuing achilles problem. Though good for you making the tough but smart decision to take care of the problem now so you can do even more in the future! I hope you have the speediest recovery possible!

Susan said...

Oh no!! I know the feeling since I was given a boot about two months ago, but I only had to wear it for two weeks. I ended up taking nearly two months off of running and spent my time swimming, biking, and doing yoga. While it drove me CRAZY not to run, I started running last week and everything is feeling good so far. It'll be better in the long run although it's tough for now.

I have dreams of an Ironman (let's start small with a little triathlon...), so starting swimming and biking regularly was helpful. You'll get through this!

Johann said...

I'm so sorry to hear this. I would have done exactly what you did and denied it for as long as possible. Eventually the reality has to happen. A month might be good for your body. It's not that bad. Stay active as far as possible. You will be rested and stronger after this. All the best!

Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Sorry your injury has put you on the bench for a while. I guess its better than pushing it farther and making it a chronic injury. Still, it sucks big time.

Hope the healing goes speedy!

Teamarcia said...

Ugh I'm so sorry but you are wise to give this the time it needs to heal fully. The ultra will be there when you're ready. Wishing you a complete and speedy recovery!

Bethany + Ryan said...

Hey Denise, so sorry to hear of this! What a huge dissapointment. Not an easy choice to make but clearly the correct choice. You have a lot of important things in the future(Boston) so rest and recovery now will pay off in big ways later. Its never easy to take time off but it is a VERY important part of training! You will no doubt be in great shape, even better shape, next year and I'm sure you will try it again with mucho success. Good luck swimming! I enjoy swimming. You already have the discipline so u'll be a great swimmer. Take it easy please! Make sure u still take rest days! Like entire rest days! Good luck! I'm sending healing thoughts your way!!!!

Lauren@ Not Your Average Southern Belle said...

I tore my soleus partially and really damaged my achilles while running in college a few years ago... I was able to keep up some mileage in the pool with an aqua jogger. Its a belt that holds you in an upright jogging position, and you 'run', impact free, in deep water! Might be worht a shot for you... It significantly decreased my down time!

Andrea said...

I have totally been there...

I started running in May 2009. I ran my first race in June! Loved it and signed up for my next one in July (Phils Tavern). Two weeks before the race I was hurrying to get ready for work and walked into a door. I broke my fourth toe and right foot.

That gave my hubby two weeks to train for a 5K. He hadn't run since the military 15 years prior.

I healed, he now runs with me, and we both set PRs in last week's Tex Mex Connection. (see my bragging post at andreachronicles314.blogspot.com)

It seems bad now, but you'll be back stronger and better than before!

Aron said...

this really does suck BUT at least you are taking care of it now and getting yourself back to healthy rather than the other way around. it will pay off when you need to start your marathon training later this year, since that was your A goal for the year anyways. still, i know it wont be easy :( sending you lots of healing vibes!

fancy nancy said...

I'm so sorry to hear that you are hurt and unable to do your ultra but I am certain that you are going to be right back in the game soon! Take care of yourself and just think of how awesome a swimmer you'll be!

hamzah ian said...

nice one.. keep running

Michelle said...

Sorry to hear about the Achilles, but glad to hear that you will be healing and hopefully in no more pain soon.

Good luck with the swimming and biking! With all this heat, being ordered to swim sounds like a great thing to me right now!

Hope you feel better soon.

NY Wolve said...

Yikes, the injury bug is everywhere! I hope the boot solves the problem. People I know who have had them come back better than before.

Megan said...

Aaaww, honey. I'm so sorry. How upsetting.

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

Oh no!!! Boot URGH! Get better ASAP