Thursday, June 24, 2010

Three Things Thursday

  • I started physical therapy again yesterday. Since my insurance only covers 60 days of treatment per diagnosis per body part per year, I only have until July 5th to get in as much therapy as I can. So I'm going again tonight and will go at least every other day from now till then. Since I've been out of the flat shoes and not running, there's definitely been improvement. But I'm still in a rush to get this sucker fixed up because...
  • The Ultra is 3 weeks from tomorrow!!! While I can't believe it's almost here, I'm ready for this training to be over so I can get back to marathon training and racing. But for the first time in months, I'm actually feeling excited about the race. Aside from the pain I've been running through, I've been feeling really strong and I'm ready to knock these 50 miles out! We've been having some really hot days (close to 100 degrees today) so I'm curious to see what race day will be like. There are some rules they enforce based on the temperature and heat index. If the heat index gets to 90-104, all runners have to carry electrolyte replacements (I'm fully expecting this since we've already been in this range out here). If it gets above 105 all runners have to stop at both medical tents along the course to be checked out. If it gets as high as 110, all runners have to walk. I'm really hoping it doesn't reach this level. Not because of the temperature but because it would be miserable to have to walk and be out there even longer.
  • I ran for the first time today since Sunday and I felt pretty good. My plan was to try 3 miles and then do the elliptical. I was hesitant to run because I was scared it was going to hurt, but thankfully things felt ok. Not great, but not painful. I could definitely feel the Achilles but it wasn't bad. I was really in the mood to run and my body just wanted to keep going, so I did and ended up with 6 great miles! I have back to back 18 mile runs tomorrow and Saturday. Keeping my fingers crossed that these go well and I can finish without pain.
Hope everyone has a great weekend!! We decided to be spontaneous and head to Atlantic City for an overnight. Going to hit the beach, the beach bar, nice dinner, then some black jack tables. I'm feeling lucky!

15 comments:

ShutUpandRun said...

Wow, it would be crazy doing 50miles in that heat, but sounds like you've trained well.

fancy nancy said...

Not a bog fan of running much in the heat but you sound ready!! Enjoy Atlantic City...mostly the rest!

Tricia said...

yippeee for pain free running

misszippy said...

Glad you had a pain-free run! And have fun in A.C.--the shore sounds perfect right about now!

Aron said...

so excited for your 50 miler :) hope the achellies keeps its act together and PT helps!

X-Country2 said...

You couldn't pay me enough to WALK 50 miles, so my fingers are crossed for a cool, breezy day for you.

RunningLaur said...

You're almost there! I'll keep my fingers crossed for cool temps for you - walking that much would be pretty darn miserable.

Bethany + Ryan said...

3 weeks?! wow! that's coming fast! glad to hear you are excited!! good luck with your runs this weekend!!!

Michelle said...

Have a great time this weekend! Glad you had some pain free running.

Jamie said...

Hope the physical therapy does its thing. Have a fun weekend!

Anonymous said...

I love AC- have fun!!!

PS- the 100 degree heat is KILLING me!!!!

Felice Devine said...

Have fun in AC!

Katie A. said...

Okay sister, you earn the hardcore badge for like the next 10 years! If the heat was predicted to be that HOT for me - I'd scrap it! LOL!
Hope the therapy keeps doin' its job! And hope you and Andy had fun!

joyRuN said...

Ugh - I hope there's a nice cool front for you in three weeks!

So glad you got some pain-free running in :)

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

I saw your blackjack report on facebook ARGH!! Walking for 50 miles, OMG!! I love that there are rules based on degrees, very smart.

We LUCKED out this weekend overcast skies and 60' on marathon day.. YES!! Course we never see 100's I cant even fathom