Monday, June 14, 2010

First Timers!!

Funk is slowly lifting and I think I have a good game plan for how to get me back on track with stuff. I also think making the decision to not hold myself so strictly to the training schedule was the right call. That run on Friday was exactly what I needed. It might not have been the 20 miles that the schedule called for, but it was a fun, relaxing 15 miles, which in my opinion was more beneficial. Saturday I ran 20 miles and aside from some aches and pains, I felt strong and the miles really flew by. I'm keeping this attitude as I head into this week and I'm going to run what I want, when I want and not beat myself up over lost miles. This should be the biggest week of my Ultra training, nearing 80 miles, but I'm not going to worry about whether or not I make it to that number. The only thing definite for this week is my 30-35 mile run on Sunday.

So, yesterday my sister and Andy ran their first 5k!! Michelle recently lost over 30 lbs and during the course of her weight loss journey I some how convinced her to run a 5k. Not sure how Andy got roped into it, but I'm sure he had a few beers in him when he agreed. Anyway, it was a really, REALLY, small race on a REALLY hot day!! It was so small that not only was there not a gun at the start, but there wasn't a horn, or anything else! In fact, we didn't even hear anyone yell "start."

I was itching to race this when I saw how small the field was but it was more important for me to stick with my sister. I ran with my other sister when she did her first 5k, so now it was time to get Michelle across the finish line. Andy has been running a few times a week for months and could have done his own thing, but he wanted us to all stick together. I love that it was more about being a team then anyone outdoing the other.

When we took off running, the temperature was around 80 degrees and it was humid with absolutely no breeze. We ran our first mile at a 9:36 and I was beyond impressed with this! However, it was probably a little too aggressive of a pace in the heat. The heat quickly took its toll with a lot of runners and there were a lot people taking walk breaks. I could tell Mich was struggling a bit between the heat and a groin pull so we played the mailbox game. We would run from one mailbox to the next, and then walk the next set. We kept up this run-walk for the remainder of the race. Mich never once complained and there was never any doubt in my mind that she wouldn't finish. She's an athlete and a tough competitor and she pushed through finishing strong. We all crossed the finish line together in 33:41.

Not too shabby for a first timer! If it wasn't so hot out, I think it could have been a much more enjoyable experience. Thankfully though she didn’t hate it and I feel pretty confident that there will be another one in her future. Same thing goes for Andy. Before this race he told me this was it. But on the way home he said he would do another but that he would stick to 5ks only. Which is fine by me, I'll take what I can get!

Congrats to Andy and Mich for finishing their first 5k, I am so proud of each of you. Not only for finishing but putting in the time and effort to get to the starting line. Running a 5k isn't easy and you did it! And just remember, this is how it all starts…

All smiles before the race...


Our first race together


Andy looking oh so happy afterwards

15 comments:

Ginny M said...

Congrats to all of you!

Jeanette said...

Yea!!!!!! Good job!!!! Way to go!!!!!! You did it!!!!!!!! (But my time was still better, Michelle :)

Hee hee! I'm so proud of you all!!!!

Laura said...

awesome! Congrats to everyone.

misszippy said...

Wow--running 15 one day and 20 the next--that's mileage! Congrats to your peeps on their first 5k!

joyRuN said...

Geez, D - 15 miles followed up by 20 is still nothing to be disappointed about! Good job!

Congrats to Mich & Andy too!!

Johann said...

Congratulations to you all for the 5k! The first race is so special and it’s great that you did it together. Glad to hear you are getting back to being your normal self. I think we go through these down patches because our bodies are actually telling us to take it easy for a few days.

Anonymous said...

She did great for her first race!!!

Marlene said...

YAY!! Congrats all around. Awesome that they are both willing to try another ... hopefully they'll get a cooler day!

Michelle said...

I knew I'd hear from Jeanette on the race time. I'll beat it next time! (Did I just say that??) Thanks for sticking with me Nez!!

Megan said...

That's sooo great.

Katie A. said...

Very cool you got your sister and Andy out there! And a 5K is the perfect distance!!!
And OMG on that heat and humidity! I know we were just complaining about the cold, but holy Jesus, that is HOT and NASTY!
Good luck this week, enjoy the run!

Bert said...

Good for you to stick it out with them, I would have been sorely tempted to take off...

RunToTheFinish said...

llllooove that you all stuck together! it's so easy on race day to let those relationships go and just take off

Jamie said...

Congrats! How great you all stuck together!

Abby said...

Congrats to Michelle and Andy - way to push through some rough conditions!

(Sheesh, all my comments recently seem to be about the weather...)