Monday, June 21, 2010

F'in Flip Flops

I'm blaming it on the flip flops! Yesterday was supposed to be my last 31 mile run before the Ultra which is only a short 4 weeks away. Well, in the days leading up to Sunday, my Achilles really started bothering me again. Not just the tightness that has been there for the past few weeks but actual pain. I took off Saturday to rest it completely and hoped for the best. Unfortunately, it didn't go so well. I felt incredible and knew I had at least 30 miles in me mentally and physically but the Achilles had other plans. I felt some discomfort right from the get go but thought it would loosen up as I went. For a few miles I thought I might actually make it through the whole run but after mile 12 I knew I shouldn't push it. I could have pushed through the pain but I opted to stop at mile 18. At this point, it wasn't just my Achilles that was hurting, the pain was starting to move up my lower calf. Completely disappointed, I called it a day. I know I made the right decision and know I'm still well prepared to run 50 miles, but I'm devastated that things have taken a turn for the worse.

So, why am I blaming the flip flops?? When this all started (back at the end of April) and the doc asked if my shoes changed, the only thing that was different was that I had lived in flip flops the week prior while we were in Jamaica. I mentioned that and he suggested I wear shoes with a slight heel so my Achilles wasn't always in a stretched state. It actually felt better wearing shoes with a heel so that's exactly what I did. Well since then, I got a new job where I'm sort of hidden in a secure access area and aside from my group; I don't see many people all day. We're a casual group when it comes to footwear and I've been sporting flip flops ALL day EVERY day for about a month now. This is right around when I stopped physical therapy and things were going well. But for the past few weeks, the tightness and discomfort has been getting worse.

So today, after riding the bike, tooling around the house, etc, I threw on my flip flops and headed to work. The walk from my car to my desk, which is about a 5-7 minutes, was terrible!!! Each step hurt more and more and when I got to my desk I emailed Andy with tears coming down my face saying, "I think I'm out for the Ultra."

I've since calmed down and have decided to rest it for most of this week to see how it feels. I put in a lot of time for this race and I'd like to make it to the starting line. If the flip flops were aggravating it, hopefully never wearing them again along with my PT exercises and some rest will fix me up. I'm wearing sandals with a heel now and the pain has completely subsided.

I love wearing flip flops...so this really sucks.

23 comments:

Andrea said...

Denise-

So sorry to hear that. I've heard lots of bad things about flip flops. I went to a podiatrist for an in grown toe nail and he told me that college kids who live in flip flops are going to make him a very rich man. He said there are very few pairs out there that provide the support the foot needs.

Good luck with rest. I'm hoping you will recover quickly.

andrea
www.andreachronicles314.blogspot.com

misszippy said...

Oh I'm sorry to hear this! I totally feel ya, though. I was a flip-flop addict for years, then I partially tore my PF. My doc thinks they had a lot to do with it. I haven't worn them in two years. Still miss them, believe me! But I do think they do all the wrong things to our lower extremities. I'm sending you quick healing vibes.

KJ said...

When I was 100 pounds heavier, I had foot pain like nothing I have ever felt before and it always flared up at its worst when summer came and non-supportive flip flops and sandals came out with it. I hated not wearing them to avoid the pain but it so helped and I am hoping it helps you too!

http://knitten-kittens.com

Jeanette said...

I had a foot doctor about 5 years ago tell me not to wear flip flops because they are horrible for your feet. I still wear them :) What am I going to wear with my "lounge wear".... sandals with heels????

Lauren @ mostly i run said...

Oh no! Rest up and wear supportive shoes!

When I was Goofy training, I blamed high heels for causing calf / Achilles pain. But flip flops don't seem to bother me... feet sure are picky!

Anonymous said...

Don't count yourself out yet! Wear some sneak and get that achilles better!

Iron Mike said...

Spin it into a positive.
By next year, BOMF is sure to have a flip-flop loop.

You'd totally dominate.

MJ said...

so sorry to hear. :( Get a lot of rest for your feetsies! And stay away from the flip flops.

Boris T said...

Ouch sorry to hear that, but don;t count yourself out. Take a few days and let it rest.

Carly said...

I had a similar issue due to wearing flip flops a few years ago. I had luck buying some supportive slides(Borns) and they have felt much better.

Hope you feel better soon.

Jill said...

EEks. I hope the removal of the flips are the cure...I want to see you at that ultra start line, too! Good luck!!

Johann said...

Wow, this is bad but I’m sure you’ll be fine in 4 weeks time. You’ll probably have a great race because of the extra rest. I had some strange pains earlier this year in my groin area and in the end it turned out to be some old shoes I loved wearing to work. I even bought two pairs of running shoes that weren’t necessary at the time. I never thought about the work shoes. When I stopped wearing them I was cured! Good luck with this, you’ll be ok.

Greg said...

I've had the same problems recently with my flip flops. Tonight it trash night, and they are getting tossed. RICE therapy has been helpful for me. Good Luck!!

RunToTheFinish said...

hadn't considered the flip flops, they are a daily staple in miami...but that totally makes sense.

i know you will recover because you have the smarts and teh tools now

Marlene said...

Oh no, Denise. I'm so sorry! I hope some extra rest and PT do the trick. SUCKS not to be able to wear flip flops. Maybe you can find a good pair with some support and a small heel (wedge maybe?).

Good luck, girl!!!

Michelle said...

Look at the bright side...you don't really have the toes to be wearing flip flops anyway!!

Paige (The Last Doughnut) said...

I have had the *exact* same issue with wearing flip flops!!!

Katie A. said...

Okay, NO MORE flip flops lady!!! You've worked so hard - and I think you were right to cut it short on your long run - you've trained well, you'll do great!
I don't wear traitional flip flops, I wear some that are pretty cushiony and don't have the big toe seperator - maybe try to find a pair like that for after your long runs or running around the house :)

Jon (was) in Michigan said...

I guess you need to lay off the flip flops until the ultra,

BUT

its silly to say that you shouldn't wear them because they stretch your achilles tendon. The reason they are keeping it "stretched" is because high heeled shoes have allowed it to unnaturally shorten. Which is my main complaint with most traditional (high heeled) running shoes.

Rest up. You're young. Your recovery will be speedy! :)

Stacey said...

So sorry. Injuries suck rocks! Good luck with resting it. HOpe it feels better!

Megan L. Killian said...

My guess is you don't watch Aqua Teen Hunger Force, but there is a part where Dr Weird falls and yells "F*ing SANDALS!"- its quite funny.

Iron Mike said...

One of the other commentors was right, that extra rest might really help.

18 miles on a bad tire is still impressive.

As far as me in the 20in24, I want to run it. No revised goal yet. I plan to put in some serious miles on the road next week and see how my body/feet/brain react.

Felice Devine said...

Aargh! That stinks -- I hope you're starting to feel better.