Tuesday, June 1, 2010

31 Miler Recap

I woke up at 3:50am on Saturday to pouring rain. Normally that wouldn't be a big deal but I was heading out for my 31 mile run. Not really a run I can push off and just do some other time! This weather was completely unexpected and I could not believe I had to do this. I threw 3 changes of clothes, extra socks and shoes in my bag, body glided the crap out of myself and headed out. Thankfully, by the time we started it was only misting and shortly after that it cleared up completely. In fact, it turned out to be a beautiful day!!

To make sure we practiced fueling for race day, we started off with two out and backs and hit the car after approximately 5 and 14 miles. I wasn't really hungry at this point since I ate a slice of Ezekiel with peanut butter and banana before I left the house but I ate a quarter of peanut butter sandwich before heading back out for another 5 miles. The next 5 miles we did the loop at Valley Forge and if you're not familiar with this loop, it is HILLY!! VERY hilly. The hills took a toll on us after such a high mileage week, with a 15 miler the day before this run, so we decided after that loop to head back out on flatter ground. Before doing so, we swung by the car and I had some Ensure and a few TJ graham cracker cat cookies. We were at mile 19 at this point and still feeling good.

I hit a mental slump around mile 21 where I thought about how nice it would be to head back to the car and go home for a nap. It lasted a good 3 miles or so but eventually it passed like it always does. Rather than head back to the car for food, we decided to do another out and back and make do with some Gu Chomps that we had on hand and a water fountain out on the trail. At mile 24 we headed the opposite direction for our last 7 miles...home stretch!

Around mile 28 a cyclist went by and yelled "hi Denise". At this point we were feeling pretty goofy so I happily waved back and said hi. Then I heard "it's Abby!". Abby was out for nice, leisurely 115 mile bike ride. Yea, I thought my 31 mile run was long! Anyway, it was nice "meeting" you, Abby!!

The last few miles of the run flew by. We were definitely a little loopy at this point, chatting away to ourselves about how bad ass we were for running 31 miles and this and that. And the best part was that we were still smiling and laughing! We ended up running 31.5 miles in just about 5.5 hours. Aside from some tired legs, stinky pits, and a funky stomach, I felt great afterwards. I headed home, took an ice bath and got ready to have company over for dinner.

As for how I felt Sunday...incredible! You never would have known I ran 31.5 miles the day before. I got up, resisted the urge to go for a run, and headed to the gym for 2 hours of cross training and lifting. I finished the week with 70.5 miles and 178.7 for May. I would have been over 200 for May if it wasn't for the first few weeks of no running because of my Achilles. Grrr.

Here's my schedule for the week:
Mon - 10 mi (done)
Tues - 7 mi
Wed - off (cross train/lift)
Thurs - 10 mi
Fri - 7 mi
Sat - 18 mi
Sun - 18 mi

Oh, I'll be posting a GIVEAWAY this week...stay tuned!

29 comments:

Liz said...

Ok, I'm amazed by the 31, but even more amazed at 2 hours in the gym the day after!! So awesome!

Ginny M said...

31 miles!!! AND then had people over for dinner. Wow...

Abby said...

It was great to "meet" you too! I wish I could join you for a lap at the race.

And by the way, 31 miles IS long :)

Susan said...

Valley Forge is hilly!! Congrats on 31. :) I love the part about how you were still smiling and laughing so late in the run...gotta love it!

Marlene said...

AWESOME job on the 31 miles +! That's incredible. Even more incredible that you were feeling so good on Sunday and put in some serious gym time.

Have a great week!

Psyche said...

Nice long one:) Isn't it something how you go in and out of "bad patches"?

BTW- you're schedule looks awesome!

Scott McMurtrey said...

If happiness is one mile at a time, that must have been near heaven. :)

Katie A. said...

You are a rockstar! I'm so amazed by you! And so glad to hear that the tummy was nice to you, that is such a blessing when running so long! Awesome job girly!

Unknown said...

We kicked some serious butt out there Sunny D! NICE JOB, girl! You're going to nail BOMF again!

ShutUpandRun said...

You are as stud. I have nothing else to say!

X-Country2 said...

You're amazing girl. Just amazing. :o)

Johann said...

Fantastic run! You are strong!

Pining for Pinterest said...

Way to go!!! I am impressed :) Have a wonderful week!

Anonymous said...

amazing! Great recap too.

Anonymous said...

YEAH SunnyD!! ROCK ON! (PS: It's Snowflake, you know me and forgetting my password!)
To the lame person who is skeptical of your 2 hour workout the day after, clearly they have never trained for an ultra! Just because you ran 31 miles doesn't mean you have to be dead to the world for days. Imagine what Scott Jureck and Michael Wardian would do if that was the case.

Get over yourself Tamantha!

Sara Elizabeth said...

You are ultra-inspiring!

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

Holy AMAZINGNESS!!! My tummy was yucky after 16 I cant imagine 31.5. I bow to your ultr-awesome miles!

Iron Mike said...

Nice job, glad you had good weather for it.

Unknown said...

oh.my.god.

joyRuN said...

You're a machine! Nicely done :D

Jamie said...

Wow! You rock! Great job on the 31 miles and then feeling great the next day!

Michelle said...

31 miles - awesomeness! Way to go!

And, so great, that you felt so good the next day!

Aron said...

you are freaking amazing. that is all :)

N.D. said...

congrats on finishing that one!! :)

Felice Devine said...

Great, great job, Denise! So cool that Abby road by and said hi.

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

Playing catch up (which will never completely happen - darn big girl job!). I am so jealous of your long runs. I doubt I could hang with you on runs but I wish I could! You make it sound so do-able. Not everything is rosey and we tip-toed for 31 miles but you say it like it really is; challenging but doable.

Jill said...

Excellent!! You're doing great, girl!!

RunningLaur said...

Just realized I hadn't commented about how awesome you and your 31 miler are. I KNOW I'll be thinking of you this weekend as motivation! "Denise totally ran so much farther than this, and worked out before/after - suck it up and just do 26.2!"
Thanks for the inspiration :)

Newly and Forever, Tamantha said...

Seriously??? That comment was not meant to be skeptical or snarky! I'm sorry you found it offensive...it just sounded like alot to do in one week. Considering the amount of attention that comment got, I'm sure that my apology at how that came across will be insignificant to you, but I do apologize. As for what I can only assume is your attack on my character, I'm sorry you feel that way.