Thanks for all your support and advice about my Ultra goals. You're all right; I need to listen to my gut. Even today while I was plugging along during my 15 miler, I found myself thinking so much about Philly marathon. Whenever I think about it while I'm running, I start to run faster and I smile. Heh, today I had to try to think about something else because I kept speeding up and I need to save my legs for tomorrow. Anyway, I think it says a lot that I'm not even thinking about the ultra when I'm running...I definitely have a more important goal for the year. I didn't make up my mind completely yet, but I think running 50 miles then doing one more loop might satisfy me. It would be a new distance PR while playing it safe regarding recovery time.
As for ultra training...it's been a big week of mileage (70 miles after tomorrow). I ran 7 miles on Monday and then split my 10 miler on Tuesday into morning and afternoon runs. I want to get used to running at different times of the day since I'll be running throughout the entire day on race day. And it also helps to get used to running on tired legs. Well, my second run on Tuesday was about a minute per mile faster than my morning run and it was 85 degrees out. It felt good to push myself but my legs weren't too happy. Especially when I got up at 5am on Wednesday for another 7 miler. This was my 3rd run in less than 24 hours and my body was ready for a rest day after that. Thursday was a scheduled rest day so I cross trained/lifted and my legs were fresh and ready to run this morning. I knocked out a great 15 miler this morning and headed straight home for an ice bath. I normally wouldn't take an ice bath after a 15 miler but I have a big day tomorrow so I need to make sure I'm feeling good.
Oh, the big day tomorrow...just a little 31 mile training run. :-) I'm sporting my recovery socks right now and will try to stay off my feet for most of the day. You'd be amazed at the stuff I'm taking for this run tomorrow. Packing for a 50k run is like going away on a weekend vacation. I'm thinking it will take around 6 hours so I should be home and napping by noon. Then Memorial Day weekend can officially start!
Hope everyone has a great weekend. Stay tuned for a giveaway next week!
24 comments:
Better save your legs for horseshoes and volleyball on Sunday!
I am blown away by your miles. Have a great 50 tomorrow!!!
Wow. Just wow. That is all I can muster up to say about 31 miles!! Have a great run!!!!
I can't wait to hear all about it!! I can't believe you did three runs in less than 24 hours!
I can't even imagine 31!!! You are awesome...looking forward to hearing all about it.
Good luck on the 31mile training run tomorrow.
31 miles that's amazing! What do you do to distract your mind in all that time?
Good luck!!
Wow -- hope the 31 miler goes well and you have a great weekend afterward!
You are so amazing... have a fantastic run!!
Holy crap and holy miles:) Have a great run tomorrow! You are inspiring:)
Whoo hoo! You are badass! Love it! I think that extra loop (or 2) will be perfect :)
Good luck tomrrow, I'd like a nice FB update on how it goes ;)
Wow, I am amazed. I can't imagine doing 3 runs in less than 24 hours! I don't think my bones could handle a 70+mile week. Good luck on your 31 miler tomorrow. You are an inspiration! Have a great weekend.
A 31-mile training run, wow. I can't even imagine doing such a long one, 6 hours. Good luck.
Sounds like a great way to enjoy the nice long weekend. :)
I am really enjoying following your journey!
Have fun! I'm heading out in the morning for a day-long bike ride - maybe I'll see you out and about!
Amazing! Good luck today!
You are amazing! Only the really tough (or is it crazy) do that distance in training. Great stuff!
That qualifies as a rock star run. :o)
I hope your run went well today! You are so inspiring, and I can only dream of running 31 miles and for just a training day. And I hope Big Sur works out for you! I had also considered doing that one and have heard it's challenging but gorgeous. Even if you can't make it out for the marathon, a vacation would always be nice too :)
Can't wait to hear about the Ultra !!!! Every time I read about your training, runs, races...I'm amazed !! Every single post you amaze me!! Can't wait to read your next post...hope you have pics :)
Hope it went well! Looking forward to your recap. :)
Jeez. 6hours. That's a lot of running. Must be hard to find that many miles to run that are safe and with potty/water stops.
Denise ~ I am playing catch up and reading backwards so this comment may seem odd but I already read about the 31 miler. I was wondering how did you handle support for a run like that? What all did you take? Maybe you already answered this if you did, sorry. Thanks!
Post a Comment