FINALLY, I'm able to put down some mileage for May. It's been killing me that it's been a big fat zero and we're a week into the month! Good thing I have plenty of back to back long runs coming up to make up for it!
I was suppose to wait to run until after I had at least one treatment of iontophoresis* treatment at physical therapy, but I couldn't take the suspense any longer. After telling the doc how great I was feeling, I got the ok to run a few miles today. I couldn't wait to get up early to head out and see how the Achilles felt. Since I was only allowed to run 3 miles, I went to the gym first and did the elliptical and bike, then met up with the club to test it out. The first few steps it was tight and I was really nervous but in just a few minutes, the tightness was gone and I felt GREAT! I was toying with the idea of running more than 3 because it felt so good to be out there, but instead I made a pack with another injured runner that we would turn around at 1.5 miles and head back.
Worried that it would flare up when I got home, I immediately iced and did my stretching exercises. Hours later, I'm still feeling great! I'm so happy this run went well; I've been a nervous wreck all week wondering how it would hold up and what this meant for Delaware marathon next weekend. Earlier this week, I was thinking I'd bail at the half way mark and take a DNF but now I think I'm going to go for the full. But nothing crazy, just a fun run with a friend and we're going to take it nice and easy.
* iontophoresis is a technique using a small electric charge to deliver a medicine or other chemical through the skin. Basically an injection without the needle. The technical description of this process is a non-invasive method of propelling high concentrations of a charged substance, normally medication or bioactive agents, transdermally by repulsive electromotive force using a small electrical charge applied to an iontophoretic chamber containing a similarly charged active agent and its vehicle.
11 comments:
Great news! I'm fairly confident that this will never be a problem again bc now u will be so vigilant about it and take extra care of it. One time I had a soreness on the bottom of my foot (only when I pressed my thumb into it) and I thought it was the start of plantar faciitis (I didn't, well maybe I would have, I dunno, but it would have been my first injury) I stretched, iced, rested and even slept in a night boot. It went away and has never bothered me again since bc I make sure to always stretch that part more and roll out more.
Now that u had this little scare u will do all u can and more to make sure it never comes back! Don't let it worry you bc u know what u need to do and u r doing it! PHEW!! Wonderful news!!! :-)
SO HAPPY FOR YOU, DENISE!!
This is great news. Way to be smart and play it safe.
Also wanted to say CONGRATS on your new niece!
congrats. great to see that your able to start running again. good luck with the recovery
Denise,
Glad you're running again, and even gladder that you used common sense and "only" ran 3 miles. :-)
Here's to happy miles!
Good luck at Delaware - looking forward to hearing about it.
Yea for first miles back! Glad to hear you are feeling better!
Glad you're feeling better, and you're very deserving of the Brooks ID program :)
This is great news! I am excited for your quick recovery!
Good for you. Happy running.
Glad the first miles back were good! I know what you mean about the zero -- it always gets me at the start of a month, even the start of a week! Ha!
Whoo hoo! Glad you were able to log some pain free miles!
And what's this about another marathon? How'd I miss this? Is this a long run prep for your big ultra in the summer?
Post a Comment