I'd be lying if I said I didn't spend the better part of the weekend feeling sorry for myself and if I'm still not a little poopie. Not being able to run NJ was so upsetting. After I cried to Andy, my sister, my mom and two close running friends on Friday night, I curled up on the couch with pretzels and a glass of wine and carb loaded anyway! I had been looking forward to pacing NJ marathon for OVER AYEAR and I was seriously crushed that I missed the opportunity.
Well, for those of you who aren't on the east coast, we got hit with some crazy weather this weekend. Temperatures were in the low 90's and it was so humid as hell. Typical summer weather for us, but very unseasonable for this time of year. Needless to say, if you run around here, you weren't acclimated to run in conditions like that yesterday. Everyone is saying how it's probably a good thing that I didn't run the marathon yesterday, that everything happens for a reason, yadda yadda. And after talking to my friends who did run, it was a really rough day out there...even for the most experienced. Coach Jack even said it was arguably the hardest of his 47 marathons. Sounds great, doesn't it? So why does this make me even more mad that I wasn't able to run? It's killing me that it was a tough day out there and I didn't get the chance to test myself to see how I would do. I know it wouldn't have been fun and it would have hurt, but I don't care. I still would have liked to be out there yesterday giving it all I had.
As for the Achilles, I'm not really sure. Just when I think it's doing better, I have some pain. Walking is pretty much pain free now (good sign!!) but the stairs are still a problem. I've been biking and doing the elliptical which is fine for the short term but I will lose my mind if this is all I can do for an extended period of time. I'm continuing with physical therapy and am scheduling an MRI today. Hopefully they can get me in soon. If this puppy doesn't have a tear afterall, I'm hitting the roads before I go bat ass crazy.
Bethany - can you shoot me an email? For some reason I can't leave you comments.
17 comments:
The weather this weekend really was nuts! So not used to it yet.
Hope you can get in for the MRI quickly. We don't want you going bat ass crazy!!
No doubt you are still bummed.
I feel for all the runners who had a tough day out ther,e but it does not surprise me in the least that you wish you had the chance.
SPEEDY RECOVERY, GIRL!
Hi - Just found your blog. Sorry for the poopy-ness and not being able to run. I totally understand how you feel. I ran the LI Half marathon yesterday and people were dropping all over the place. It was definitely too hot too soon for anyone to have a great race. Any-who - I look forward to following your blog!!
eh- no worries. I have been poopy for months. No apologies necessary. When you look forward to something, it is hard not to be devastated by it being taken away. Hope the MRI goes well so you can continue to prepare for july.
hi Denise, i totally understand where you are coming from...you don't care that it was 90 degrees, that makes it even MORE appealing to you bc you love the challenge. i hope ppl stop tellng you that you were lucky bc you didn't "have" to run it. thats the difference b/w you and them, you "want" to run it, they "had" to run it. i hope you are feeling better. brighter days are surely ahead!! i see that you had a note to a Bethany ont he bottom of your post, i'm guessing its not me Bethany bc i don't even know your email addy. if it is me Bethany, my addy is bbertrand@vzw.blackberry.net. i just started following you on twitter. hang in there my friend!!
Yes, the heat has been crazy! A friend of mine ran NJ, and she said it was horrible! Get better soon...I don't want you going crazy on us!! ;)
I feel your pain. So sorry about what you're going through.
Speedy recovery!You'll be back at it SOON:)
I know the feeling of missing something you planned so well in advance. Hang in there, this will pass.
This weekend seriously was brutal. I totally understand your wishing you had had the chance to prove yourself in it, but man, I was hurting just READING people's race reports from Jersey and Broad Street.
Hope the MRI comes quickly and offers good news.
I'm in Maryland, so I hear you about the humidity this weekend! I will still take it over cold and snow, but still!
I always try to tell myself that anytime my plans about anything are sidelined, there is a reason for it, even if I don't know what it is at that moment. It doesn't always take away my disappointment completely, but it does help a little. Wishing you a very speedy recovery and thank you for always inspiring me!
at least its over now and you can move on and try not to think about it anymore... still not fun :( hope you can get the MRI soon so you can figure out what is going on!
bummer :( hope that achilles feels better soon!
the weather was nuts. Especially for a marathon and pacing - it would have been tough. I guess it was meant to be!
When it wasn't storming here. It was 90 and humid. All I can think is its only May. And I start training again in July. :( Gonna be tough.
I'm sorry you missed NJ. I was gearing up for the Richmond Marathon last fall and wound up with bronchitis, which put me out of the game. I can relate to how you feel. Focus on the future, not the past. That's all you can do.
Wishing you a speedy recovery!
I'm so sorry you didn't get to pace, hopefully you'll get the opportunity here soon, hang in there! Wine and pretzels certainly do help!! :). As for your Achilles, I understand your frustration..my heel is acting the exact same way - happy one minute and screaming the next. Hope you get good news soon!!
funny; i wasn't able to run either due to my hip issues and I've been trying to tell myself the same things about the weather!
Post a Comment