Funny how not a single man commented on my nipple post. It's ok boys, we all got 'em!!
Ultra training has completely snuck up on me this year. I feel so under prepared. Back to back long runs started and I'm just starting to think about nutrition and fueling. I should have this figured out by now so I could start testing out what I'll use on race day. It was a big challenge for me last year to find what worked for my stomach. I could stick with what I know but I want to try some healthier alternatives. Don't get me wrong, frosted strawberry pop tarts are awesome, but I'd like to keep my nutrition as clean as possible.
Anyway, I made it through my first weekend of back to back long runs. Friday I woke up at 4am (the things we do for running on our days off from work!) and was planning to do 20 miles. From the get go my legs, and brain, were tired. I was definitely still feeling Delaware marathon and my stomach was questionable. Around mile 16 my stomach went from questionable to emergency and I almost asked a complete stranger if I could go in their house to use their bathroom. But instead I walked for a bit to calm it down and headed back to my car, which thankfully was under a mile away. After that I decided to call it quits around mile 17 and save the rest for Saturday.
I was an exhausted, cranky mess all day Friday. My legs were shot and my achilles was pretty sore. To make it worse, I noticed a small bump on the back of my heel which really freaked me out. I was suppose to run a very hilly 5 mile loop on Saturday with a friend but cancelled those plans at the last minute. Since the Ultra course is flat, there's no need to push it on hills unnecessarily. I'll save the hills for Boston training!! Instead I headed to flatter ground and knocked out 20 great miles. I felt SO much better than Friday and my pace was even quicker.
So, the first weekend of ultra training was a success. 37 miles in just over 24 hours and I'm feeling great. Sunday was supposed to be a rest day but I headed to the gym anyway. No running but I got some lifting and cross training in which is something I'm determined to fit in during this training cycle. I learned last year training for the ultra that I can't just run. I need to maintain my overall fitness.
I have a big week ahead of me with my first 31 mile training run. I love that I'll be running an Ultra as part of my training for an Ultra. Here's my schedule for the week:
Mon - 7 mi
Tues - 10 mi
Wed - 7 mi
Thurs - off (x train/lift)
Fri - 15 mi
Sat - 31 mi
Sun - off (walk/lift)
20 comments:
Wow - that's an impressive schedule for this week. I love it! Are you on dailymile? I noticed your post on the Brooks ID forum, and I agree with you, they are very quiet. I think part of it has to do with the fact that there is no email notification. I find that interact more with Brooks people who are on dailymile (as well as regular folk), so that might be a place to try. I love it. I am looking forward to watching your ultra training and learning from it. I'm starting my own after my marathon is over. Have a great week!
I wanted to comment so badly on that post, but just couldn't. Nipples and running, bad combination. At least you don't have to wear band-aids on them.
You are amazing! I love reading about your training!
And, I can relate to the tummy issues, it's still a work in progress for me, too! I hate it!
Have a fab week!
How awesome is it that your 20 miler felt that good? I'm really impressed with your training plan - it'll set everything up so well for the race.
Oh and I never got a chance to comment on the nipple post - but I do this too! I have a padded sports bra from Moving Comfort that tends to hide whatever's going on, but it doesn't fit as well as it could. Boo.
That's a tough schedule. I'm also planning some ultra training runs for my ultras later this year...exciting! I’m with Jon on the nipples. Wanted to comment but my running/nipple experience is burning/blood/band-aid. Luckily the problem has gone away for now. Good luck with the ultra runs!
haha funny that no guy commented on the nipple post. good luck on your ultra trianing! looks like you're already off to a great start!!!
awesome!
Nice job on your first of back to backs!
Looks like a busy week! Way to go :)
Your schedule may be why I haven't fully committed to doing anything longer than a 50k. I just don't know if my family could tolerate the time it takes to get those kind of miles. I am still hopeful for a 50 miler this fall but I will have to see how I can work my training schedule.
I agree with the cross training element but I am still having sooo much trouble making myself do it! I know in June at the Xduro I will be wishing I had done some.
Killer running this weekend!
What is your next race?
you are AWESOME!
That's awesome! Following your ultra training last year was so much fun. Good luck.
Nice work on the back-to-backs! Remind all of us following along - what's your mileage goal for this year's race?
Also, out of curiosity, where do you run at 4 AM? Do you feel safe?
That's great, Denise. Cutting out the 3 miles on Fri was probably the best thing for the overall success of the back to back runs.
Your mileage is awe-inspiring! Enjoy your ultra training :)
glad it went well! I feel like I have all of these ideas - like asking people for a drink of water because I'm parched, going to the bathroom in a stranger's house - when I'm running. That part made me laugh.
Awesome job on the back to backs. Your mileage impresses and scares me! lol
Looks like a big week ahead... I know you'll rock it!
way to play it smart on your choices. Glad you are feeling good! My achilles seems to be ok and I saw a chiro yesterday..um clearly out of alignment causes some of my issues
LOL...I was so close...
typed...deleted...
typed...deleted...
a few times...LOL...
took the safe route.
Jeez. That's a lot of miles. How do you avoid injury with so many miles?
Post a Comment