Monday, May 10, 2010

A Mother's Day To Remember

I'm not a mom and I'm not sure I ever will be. Truth is I have zero desire to bear children. I can't say I've written off the idea of ever having them, but one decision I did make several years ago is that I would never give birth to a child. I always said that if I were to have kids, I'd adopt. I've just always felt that adoption is such an incredible thing to do and there are so many children who need a chance and a loving home. I shared this with Andy soon after we met and thankfully, he had no issues with it. In fact, he is (and always has been) on the exact same page as me when it comes to kids. The bottom line is that we love our life the way it is and at least right now, we recognize that we are too selfish to have children. I'm fine admitting that, too and think there's nothing wrong with it. Until I can devote my life to taking care of, and raising another person, I'm perfectly content being the best Aunt I can be.

Well, yesterday I became an Aunt to the most beautiful baby girl!! Meet Grace Katya!


Yes, it finally happened! My sister and husband got home from Russia yesterday with Grace in their arms. After a 3+ year long journey, their family is finally complete. My family spent the day up at their house celebrating Mother's Day and anxiously awaiting their arrival. Neighbors stopped by all day dropping off posters they made to decorate the house and to share in the excitement. My sister has an incredible group of neighbors and they have all provided so much love and support to her over the years.

Grace's birth name means strawberry

When we knew they were a few minutes away, my family and a ton of their neighbors gathered on the front lawn to surprise them when they arrived. When they pulled up the street, there was no holding back Nate and Aidan (my nephews). They were so excited they ran into the street carrying the signs they made to welcome home their new baby sister. It was one of the most emotional moments of my life. As my sister pulled into the driveway, exhausted and overcome with emotion, I could see the relief in her face. She was home, on Mother's Day, with ALL of her children.

The boys finally meeting their sister!

Jeanette with her 3 beautiful children

Watching my sister go through this adoption taught me so much. I not only learned that my sister is stronger than I ever knew, but I learned that there's nothing like sisterhood. While I can't relate to my sisters desire to have children, I'd be lying if I said I didn't carry a portion of her pain, stress and struggles over the past few months when things got crazy. I am so proud of her for staying strong and not giving up when things became unbearable. Grace has no idea how wonderful her mom is and some day she'll realize just how lucky she is.

So, now that it's all over, I can focus on spoiling Grace rotten! I wonder if she'll be a runner...

I know, I look terrible...I couldn't stop crying long enough for the picture!

35 comments:

ShutUpandRun said...

She is so beautiful! Congrats to your sis, to you and to your whole family. I do adoptions work for my job and it is an incredible thing, for sure.

RunningFromCancer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
RunningFromCancer said...

Congrat's to you and your family. Spoil her Auntie!!

Stacey said...

I got a little teary reading your post. Grace is absolutely beautiful. Adoption is such a wonderful thing! Congratulations to you all!

Anonymous said...

I am beyond happy for your sister and your whole family!!!!!

Jill said...

Congratulations to the whole family...what a cutie-pie!!! And she most certainly looks like a future runner to me!! :)

Jamie said...

Congrats to you Auntie and the whole family! What a wonderful Mother's Day!

N.D. said...

she is ADORABLE! a huge congrats to your family :)

Hannah said...

That is so amazing! Congrats, Auntie! And congrats to your sister and her family!

I think people who can actually say out loud that they're too selfish for children at any given point in their life are brilliant. Better to admit it and have them when you're ready (or not have them at all) than to have them just because you feel like you should. Good for you!!!

Bethany + Ryan said...

THANK GOD!!! Best news all day! I'm all teary now. So thankful it finally worked out!! :-). :-) :-)
And don't feel bad abt saying ur too selfish to have a child, I say it too about myself, now if only other people would realize it about themselves...
Congrats to u and ur family!
I think we fixed the comment thing but I'm not sure.

Carly said...

Congratulations to your family! I have tears in my eyes from this post. What an incredible Mother's Day Gift.

She is beautiful!

Ewa said...

I totally admire you for being honest with yourself about having kids. There are so many kids out there who have parents who got into parenting without examining if they were ready.

And your sister got an amazing Mother's Day gift. I am so glad things worked out.

Lauren @ mostly i run said...

I'm so glad it worked out. Congratulations to you and your family!

I hear ya on the children thing :)
My cats are my babies.

Kat said...

That is amazing! Congratulations and I'm so happy that she finally got to bring her home! 3 years...if our adoption takes that long I may lose my mind! Adoption is wonderful!!! She's is absolutely adorable!

trassydicosta said...

She is so beautiful!
Nice effort, very informative, this will help me to complete my task.
send flower china
send flowers to china
flowers delivery china
Valentines day Flowers China

Michelle said...

Congratulations to your entire family! So happy that everything worked out for them!

Jeanette said...

Now you are making me cry. Grace and Nate are looking at me wondering what my problem is! I love you and thank you for the support!

Quinton J said...

Grace is so beautiful! Congratulations Aunty!

Paige (The Last Doughnut) said...

Beautiful!!! All the way around!!!

Abby said...

I'm so glad to see that everything finally came together - congrats to your sister and your whole family; she's absolutely beautiful (look at that hair!).

Marlene said...

This is so beautiful! I'm so happy for you and your entire family. What a wonderful Mother's Day! Congratulations!!

Kim said...

What a beautiful baby girl! Congrats on being an aunt again!

We adopted kids and at times I think I was too selfish to have them as I struggle at times, even six years later, with giving up my freedoms because I have to. It's hard and I applaud you for recognizing you are not ready. I don't think I was either and when you adopt from social services, you get a buttload of problems with the kids as well that they just don't prepare you for.
Congrats to your family again!

Laura said...

So beautiful! Congrats to your sister and whole family.

Unknown said...

That's so wonderful!! Congratulations to your sister! Hooray!

Norma said...

What an incredibly happy ending to that long, stressful and painful ordeal. So happy for you and your whole family; this little girl is surely going to be loved so much. And I think a little pair of Sauconys would be an ideal gift from her Auntie... :)

Katie A. said...

Thanks for making me cry at work, sheesh! J/K! I am so happy for you all and had a blast on Sunday reading your update FB posts :)
You and I are so alike, it's almost scary. I think you need to move to California! I, too, have really felt like I would at least need to adopt one child in our life. Right now, I now I'm also too selfish to have kids and I'm okay with admitting that, at least I know this about myself and know that when the time comes I will be ready.
Congrats again!! She is adorable!
P.S. You could totally get the running thing moving by buying her her very first pair of NB running shoes? Or better yet, Brooks? LOL!

Aron said...

so so so happy for you and your whole family. what a BEAUTIFUL little girl <3 she is so blessed to be welcome into such a loving family!!!

Chic Runner said...

She is adorable! I am so happy for your family and I'm going to tell you, I teared up at some of the pictures. What a great addition :)

X-Country2 said...

Awwww, what a great story! Congrats to your whole family.

NY Wolve said...

That is really special. Good luck to everyone!

Iron Mike said...

Well deserved happiness, thanks for sharing your story.

RobinLK said...

Hi Denise!
Thanks so much for finding the Turtles blog today.. I'm so glad you did and I could visit yours in return. What a wonderful post to land upon.

Like you, I don't have children - by choice. And now, by age and health issues. I've always described my choice in a similar way: selfish w/ my time. Thankfully, my husband was/is in total agreement.

But I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE being an auntie. My two beautiful sisters have given me the blessing of 3 wonderful nephews, an beautiful babydoll niece last year, and THIS weekend, nephew #4 is expected to arrive. I can't imagine life without any of them... they are each soooo amazing and so unique.

Congratulations to your sister and her family. And to you, Auntie! :) Happy Mother's/Auntie's Day!!

Looking forward to getting to know you,
robin/orlando turtle runner

Julie said...

This is such a beautiful story! How wonderful for your sister! Grace is adorable and I am sure that she will be loved to pieces by her new family:) My brother and his wife adopted a little girl three years ago...it is a wonderful thing!

I will have to go back and read a few or your earlier posts. It looks like you have raced in many different distances...Holy 50 miler!! I am impressed:)

Anonymous said...

Amazing!! Absolutely Amazing! Could there be a better Mothers Day for your family?? So happy for all of you. I hope I'm blessed one day to be an aunt too.

Megan said...

Wow. Amazing. One of my friends was sharing the story of her (soon to be) nephew. He SIL/BIL are adopt a boy from Russia too. They're hoping to being him home in the next few weeks.